My review of the OcUK Limited Edition P170EM

Associate
Hi all, I was looking for a gaming laptop, Because of home life as in being married I have no room anymore in the house for a full size gaming rig as my wifes wardrobes take up all the bedroom space. my old laptop began to die on me (acer 6930). It could never play games on medium settings, so i was getting desperate to be honest.

So I started looking around on the net for custom built laptops, **No competitors** overclockers all showed promise, after pricing up the spec I wanted I came up with this:

**No competitors**

**No competitors**

Overclockersuk with there heavy discounts came to about £1430.

So i ordered from overclockersuk. I ordered on a Wednesday afternoon after 4pm, before OCUK opening weekend, I originally ordered it with a 3630qm and regretted not going with the 3740qm, the next day I left a message on the OCUK customer services forum and it was upgraded within the hour by helpfull staff, I asked for the ETA for the laptop thinking it will be 14 days plus, but was surprised when they said tuesday.

MONDAY: well after receiving an email stating my laptop was shipped on saturday with a tracking link I was surprised, delivery was spot on arrived at 11:50 monday morning as said in the email, I was shocked it was bang on time, the lads at OCUK outdid themselves even with opening the new shop on the saturday.

I arrived back from work took the large box, I also ordered headphones and a laptop cooler CM U3, everything was packed neatly with foam and airbags, the laptop was inside two boxes excluding the large one.

Laptop spec (I ordered):

3740qm
8gb 1600mhz
7970m
blueray drive
windows 7 pro
128 ocz vertex 4 ssd
750gb seagate hybrid drive.
1080p gloss screen i wanted matte.
The laptop came with driver CD and wind
6200 intel wireless card.

I was surprised when I switched on the machine that I got the matte screen WOW, and a 6300 intel ultimate wireless card with haribos to eat, cheers OCUK, I was told it was a free upgrade, plus I recieved hitman abs, sleeping dogs and farcry 3 for free.

The hotfix drivers had already been installed too, I ran speed fan to check temps of the cpu and gpu after 3 days the temps all dropped by 10c maybe the thermal compund needed to bed in, now at 100% stress the cpu maxs at 70c and the gpu reaches between 75c and 81c max (room temp between 20c and 25c). no overheating issues but I am not overclocking this system as I want it to last 3 years before ordering a new one.

LOADUP TIME: The first 3 startups took about 20 seconds now a week and a half later its between 8 to 14 seconds to desktop full loaded depending how fast i type my password. Amazing never had anything like this.

GRAFIX PERFORMANCE: 3dmark 11 score 6706 it did a 6730 when i first had it but never saved the score. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4921071

It runs all games max or close to max fluidly I have played:

GUILD WARS 2: plays on ultra but AS and AA need to be turned down from 16x
SLEEPING DOGS: again high res textures on but AS has to be turned down to 4x for steady 45 to 60 fps otherwise you get drops to 25fps.
HITMAN ABSOLUTION: plays at max on everything steady 43fps min to 60fps limit
METRO 2033: needs 4x aa as to play any higher and spikes in performance occur once every 5 minutes for like half a second, (just being honest)
ALIEN VS PREDATOR: max everything no problem
TOTAL WAR, SHOGUN 2: max everything no slow downs on dx11.

For a laptop this is amazing.

LAPTOP LOOKS: the finish on the laptop is good it has a nice brushed black aluminuim feel that will not wearout, but fingermarks are left easily tough build quality more rugid compared to my acer laptops, keys feel positve to type good medium pressure, good bright backlit keyboard 3 different colours can be chosen at the same time.

CAMERA: The camera works well, its fine for skype, in built microphone is ok but sounds a little mute, a standard head set mic is much better.

SOUND: Well this is the only real negative of the whole laptop ONKYO are the cream of the the low end high performance HiFi world so these should sound like the best laptop speakers in the world, but that there NOT, they never distort they do go loud but theres no real bass like the tuba bass system on the acer laptop I have, once connected to my Logitech Z5500 it sounds better but the lack of a graphix equaliser shows, USB sound card needed will be buying one soon from OCUK.

Well if any screenshots/pictures other benchmark results required just ask I will do them as soon as possible.

Please read the rules regarding competitor discussion!! - w3bbo

Soldato
My issue is a mate has seen my m17x and wants something like it. The issue the P170EM looks cheap and wanted for some user pics just in case it was staging shots.

Associate
OP
IMG_20121112_00026.jpg

IMG_20121112_00029.jpg

IMG_20121112_00033.jpg

IMG_20121112_00035.jpg

IMG_20121112_00034.jpg

IMG_20121113_00037.jpg

image.jpg

OcUK Staff
Manhota

Thanks for the review, really glad your enjoying it!

Yes we install the latest drivers, at OcUK we believe a laptop/system should deliver maximum performance because OcUK is all about "how fast do you want to go today" so we believe in latest drivers and no bloatware. Also maximum performance!

One thing none of your pictures work. :(

Back
Top Bottom