• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My trusty XFX 4850 has finally packed in, RIP.

Associate
So today marked a sad day, my trusty XFX 4850 512mb finally packed in after around 10 years of use.

I had red bars running down the screen, then the dreaded blue screen of death. As soon as I seen that I knew it had packed in. It served me well

It was used a lot, with the fan constantly on 90% every time the computer was switched on.

You can actually see on the fan where the dust has turned solid into some sort of mould!

RIP

UPeLlUm.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Im surprised it lasted that long. that culmination of dust was I bet what eventually killed it :(

time for the biggest upgrade known to man?

Caporegime
There's so much dust in there I thought it was carpet or something! :D

Hell of a good innings, though. As said, you'll see a heck of an upgrade when you get something new.

Permabanned
So today marked a sad day, my trusty XFX 4850 512mb finally packed in after around 10 years of use.

I had red bars running down the screen, then the dreaded blue screen of death. As soon as I seen that I knew it had packed in. It served me well

It was used a lot, with the fan constantly on 90% every time the computer was switched on.

You can actually see on the fan where the dust has turned solid into some sort of mould!

RIP

UPeLlUm.jpg

I don't know if oven will save it. But next time never ever allow this much dust to kill your trusty hardware.... :(

Man of Honour
That's actually a generation older than mine! Too bad it didn't last another 4 months then you could have upgraded it to a NAVI card like I am.

Can you still play modern games on a 5770? I still have my trusty 5850 out in a box that's still going strong. That thing even found a bitcoin block and mined pretty much it's whole life when it wasn't gaming. Great card :)

Soldato
Can you still play modern games on a 5770? I still have my trusty 5850 out in a box that's still going strong. That thing even found a bitcoin block and mined pretty much it's whole life when it wasn't gaming. Great card :)

No I temporarily stopped gaming a few years ago. I've been waiting for GPU prices to come down because I want to try VR. I'll get a Ryzen 3600 and a Navi card in the summer.

Associate
thats terrible news, you need to apply for warranty immediately, im pretty sure that the card will be replaced with a 2019 equivalent, GPUs should last longer than that

Just make sure you have upgraded from Windows XP to 10, and err change that core duo to stop the bottleneck.

Soldato

RIP

UPeLlUm.jpg

Ewwww.... The dust killed it mate. I haven't seen so much dust since forever.

Back
Top Bottom