My TX4 London Black Taxi Project

taB

taB

Associate
You're mad. If you change your mind I've got a mate with an empty shed about 3 miles from Sandy and can ask if it can be left there for a bit.

Soldato
Pretty unlikely to be stopped in a taxi - Not seen many taxi drivers working from home.:p
Black cabs round here have become the new home delivery vehicles!

OP is on his way by now but this is a pretty selfish act all things considered. It would be bad enough to pick up a known car but the likelihood of that thing packing up and needing outside assistance of some sort on that length of journey is pretty high.

Soldato
OP
OP is on his way by now but this is a pretty selfish act all things considered. It would be bad enough to pick up a known car but the likelihood of that thing packing up and needing outside assistance of some sort on that length of journey is pretty high.
I've done more in terms of safety precautions than both required and that most would do. I have a mechanic mate who took a look at the running side of things and all looked fine. About as much chance of issues as most cars in motors! I have all my paperwork, i've had everything checked on the way out, I have a vast selection of masks and alcohol gel, which I have been using constantly and replacing mask routinely. There is no lockdown in France, so it's been quieter but not quiet.

I'm not seeing anyone; even my mate is moving the taxi to a lay-by out of his village and I'll meet him there, then leave. I have cleaning stuff with me for the inside of the taxi. I'm not seeing my parents, anyone I know, nothing. Just getting it and heading off. At the end of the day, it needed moving and I am doing so with every legal paper I needed and being extremely anal about safety and precautions.

Soldato
I've done more in terms of safety precautions than both required and that most would do. I have a mechanic mate who took a look at the running side of things and all looked fine. About as much chance of issues as most cars in motors! I have all my paperwork, i've had everything checked on the way out, I have a vast selection of masks and alcohol gel, which I have been using constantly and replacing mask routinely. There is no lockdown in France, so it's been quieter but not quiet.

I'm not seeing anyone; even my mate is moving the taxi to a lay-by out of his village and I'll meet him there, then leave. I have cleaning stuff with me for the inside of the taxi. I'm not seeing my parents, anyone I know, nothing. Just getting it and heading off. At the end of the day, it needed moving and I am doing so with every legal paper I needed and being extremely anal about safety and precautions.
You don't need to justify anything to anyone other than yourself and you summed up the idea perfectly.

Not advised. Against logic. Defying recommendations. Stupid, even.

Soldato

I wouldn't even think twice about it - I'm sure most of the people criticizing you have done worse. It's not like you're running around Europe coughing on everybody.

Soldato
Wait, what? You’re travelling across Europe to meet a mate in a village lay by. Sounds like international travel to facilitate dogging to me! At least you’re bringing clean up equipment I guess.

Soldato
I wouldn't even think twice about it - I'm sure most of the people criticizing you have done worse. It's not like you're running around Europe coughing on everybody.
Not really, no. If you are daft enough to think the fact that we are all told to stay at home and only make essential journeys is about "coughing on everybody" then you're as daft as the OP thinking that a whim of an eBay purchase and his mates wife getting the hump is justification for a 1200 mile round trip mid pandemic.

I've got no idea how France is getting on but the NHS is stretched here in the UK in some areas. They don't need the liability of anyone on the roads, let alone someone in an end of life Taxi of unknown road worthiness. I like to go around the county on days out but I wouldn't even consider doing that at the moment.

Caporegime
Wait, what? You’re travelling across Europe to meet a mate in a village lay by. Sounds like international travel to facilitate dogging to me! At least you’re bringing clean up equipment I guess.

Madness thag it's allowed really, not blaming the op but the govt should be putting a stop to this. I can't see my family, friends and people can't go walks. But travel 2000 miles to pick up a car? Sure crack on. Defies logic really.

Back
Top Bottom