My TX4 London Black Taxi Project

Soldato
If you saw in the Show Us Your Motors / What you bought threads, I won this 2010 TX4 London Taxi from a copart auction last week. Runs and drives, MOT until May. Dent in the rear boot lid but seems OK from my sight unseen purchase :p
300k miles, so just about run in, too.

Here she is for your enjoyment.
6UuC8ma.jpg
hLoHgfB.jpg
TLgzbME.jpg
vBTmYLJ.jpg
I49mMeT.jpg
wUuAMik.jpg
5zTd79E.jpg
RVo484m.jpg
To be fair, I won this on copart twice. First time it was up I won it for 550 exc. copart fees but the seller wanted 1500 ex. fees. He relisted it and I won it again, this time for 675 (just under 1k with fees) and he must have just thought sod it and let me have it for that.

Now the fun begins...

Obviously nothing is simple this year. I'm here in Blotzheim, a little village just over the border from Basel. The Taxi is in Sandy, Beds.

I'd love to see if I can get it in the wasted food coma days between Christmas and New Year but everything is all a bit ****.
PClZxom.png
I understand people can't travel in Tier 4, which is where this bloody thing is... but I have no idea if trains are working and if borders are physically open... I've emailed copart and asked what advice they can give but think they'll be trying to run as normal ("essential business" no doubt) but will see.

Mate of mine was like "you're mental for considering a drive like that in a sight unseen 300k mile taxi" but I'm sure I've done more stupid trips previously tbh!

Will be doing some project vids on the taxi on our youtube channel (https://youtube.com/c/barefamting), plans are hopefully a simple mini camper style with bench / fold down bench into bed setup in the back. Keep things simple but try and make it functional for some camping!

But first to try and get it back to my house...!

Soldato
Definitely a unique purchase - what are your plans for it? 300k isn’t huge mileage for one of them, and it’s not that old, so I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t make it back. It’ll probably be a slow, noisy journey though!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Soldato
Looks like a fun project.

RE your travel I heard on the radio that all the ports and routes into France are closed from UK due to the new strain of covid, not sure how long for though

Associate
You've sure picked a bad time to buy a car in the UK!

The channel crossings are likely to reopen in the next few days but this may only be for freight and not tourists. Negative Covid tests are also likely to be required to get back into France.

While flights into Holland are banned the news mentioned the ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland as an alternative but said there might not be any spare capacity till January.

As for if you make it into the UK:
I doubt you'll have any trouble driving through tier 4 areas. There seems to be no checking at all and we don't have to carry any kind of permission forms like you guys did.

There could be checking on trains if you try to buy long distance tickets.

I have no idea what would happen if you broke down driving through tier 4. Garages are allowed to open but Hotels are closed. You'd probably have to sleep on a park bench while waiting for the car to be fixed.

Hopefully Copart will help you out and not charge extortionate storage fees.

Soldato
OP
Yea, so they closed roads but are looking to reopen them. I don't think it'd be an issue getting to the car on the Eurostar tbh and trains, it's just the trip back.

The possibility of a negative covid test being required to get back into France was raised on the news today
Yea, I saw this too. I'm not concerned about that, as long as I can go pay for one and get quick results I'm not bothered about having one. Done 3 of them so far, will knock out another couple if I need to. I would be happy to take one on the way out as well to make sure I could present them.

The could be checking on trains if you try to by long distance tickets.
It's in Sandy, so 48min on the train from St Panc international. I don't think that'd be an issue. There is a form you can get for entering and if it's for a business reason or {insert long exception list} reason you can get in.

Not looking great from copart though...
4akhGio.png

So that's nice of them lol

Associate
I'm not concerned about that, as long as I can go pay for one and get quick results I'm not bothered about having one.
The debate appears to be over whether the lateral flow test (15 min) is adequate or if the full PCR test will be required.

It's in Sandy, so 48min on the train from St Panc international. I don't think that'd be an issue.
If you can get to St Pancras I doubt you'll have any problems. The Police only seem to be interested in overcrowding and mask wearing.

Not looking great from copart though...
The old that'll be your problem answer. The journey should make good video for your channel!

Soldato
OP
The debate appears to be over whether the lateral flow test (15 min) is adequate or if the full PCR test will be required.
I honestly have my doubts on the tests anyway. We've had 2 completely different friends here who got covid and had negative tests. Went and got another next day and it was positive.

The old that'll be your problem answer. The journey should make good video for your channel!
Yea, should be interesting!

Soldato
You can you homologate these in Switzerland ? without too much effort ... trying to remember if I've seen one on french roads, for example.

Man of Honour
This was posted in the other thread that this taxi was posted in. I don't get it, surely it's illegal to operate a taxi as a taxi, especially a black cab, without a licence?
I'm not sure if you fully understand the fake taxi reference :D
Google it, but not on a works computer or if there's anyone looking over your shoulder :o

Soldato
OP
Oh you innocent, innocent man. What have we done to you :p
hahahaha I can't believe people haven't heard of Fake Taxi?! Same as that lovely black sofa...

Anyway, I'm going to attempt to get this at some point after Christmas and see how that adventure goes in these strange times. Ideally need it before 31st Dec too with Brexit and all importing ****... we will see how it all goes anyway!

Back
Top Bottom