My Ultimate entry to the Braggin' Rights 2002 competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
A couple of OcUK members have seen the inside of the Feekmobile and it's been suggested that I ought to claim braggin' rights for it.

So I've taken some pictures.

I'd like to enter the Feekmobile into the competition for the Ultimate Braggin' Rights of 2002.

So, without further ado, here we go.

Here is a picture of the main dashboard area.

main.jpg

This can be broken down to a number of areas.

gps&icom.jpg

Starting to the left top side, there is the Garmin Streetpilot III GPS. This self-contained unit provides spoken guidance to any European destination by using the worldwide Global Positioning System, simply tell it where you want to go and it will take you there.

Below the Streetpilot III is an Icom IC-2800. This VHF and UHF amateur radio transmitter is a superb radio with a colour TFT display, it runs 50 watts output on VHF and 35 on UHF.

Below these two pieces of kit can be found the Kenwood TM-D700 and the Sony Mini-disc head unit.

kenwood&sony.jpg

The Kenwood is used for APRS which is a system that transmits a radio signal once per minute showing the exact location of the vehicle. It can be used for a multitude of purposes, one of the most useful is online tracking via the internet. There are a number of amateur radio to internet gateways around the UK that allow radio traffic to be parsed onto the internet and vice versa. These gateways are licenced by the government and I operate the one which was the first to be licenced in the UK (extra bragging rights there!).

Below the Kenwood is a Sony Mini-disc head unit which I fitted shortly after getting the car. I much prefer MD's to CD's and this was almost the best unit available at the time.

On the right of the main picture can be seen a boom microphone. This is used with the Icom radio mentioned above to provide hands-free operation of the transmitter, hence improving safety on the road.

Below the boom microphone is an Origin Blue-I and my Sony-Ericsson T-68 that has been flashed to a T-68i.

bluei&phone.jpg

The Origin Blue-I is a system for improving road safety. It has a built-in GPS receiver and database of the location of all the fixed traffic cameras in the UK. It advises the driver in advance that there is a camera ahead and as cameras are located in accident blackspots then it gives the driver warning to be extra careful in that area.

Below that is the T68i telephone and as can be seen from the following image, I have a bluetooth headset to allow me to use the telephone without taking my hands off the wheel. It has voice operated dialling and answering.

bluetooth.jpg

So, that's the interior of my car. I claim full Bragging Rights on it and will consider this my entry to the Braggin' Rights 2002 competition.

K.

Soldato
and as cameras are located in accident blackspots then it gives the driver warning to be extra careful in that area.

I know people who'd disagree;)

Braggin rights desrved. It looks like a cockpit, or James Bond automobile.

Just out of interest, when you park do you have to lock it all away?

Commissario
OP
Car is locked in a garage each evening and kit is removed anyway.

Miggyman - I very much doubt it. There are no cars that have amateur radio equipment pre-built in and as far as I know Origin Blue don't provide the unit for factory fitting to any manufacturers. :)

K.

Associate
Almost perfect, but I *did* spy a 'Ford' badge on that steering wheel :eek: ;)

Seriously, very nice set up - but be careful with the blue tooth handset. The new regulations state that a mobile phone can only be used in the car if it is an integral part of that car. And Bluetooth headsets aren't integral :(

Associate
Originally posted by Feek
Car is locked in a garage each evening and kit is removed anyway.

Miggyman - I very much doubt it. There are no cars that have amateur radio equipment pre-built in and as far as I know Origin Blue don't provide the unit for factory fitting to any manufacturers. :)

K.

Note *most* :D

Wise Guy
Associate
Originally posted by MiggyMan
Note *most* :D

Note *that only really leaves the GPS and minidisc and mobile* :D;)

I went on a long roadtrip with Mr Feeky in this Feekmobile last weekend, and it was like being a part of a spy movie.

The amount of cars that moved to overtake on the motorway, only to see the aerials and gadgets in the car, assuming it to be a police car, and hence slowing down, was amazing, very funny :D

Tis indeed worthy of the Ultimate Bragging Rights. I don't think anyone could ever go wrong in that car, it's got EVERYTHING!

Associate
batman...na na na na etc etc :)#

its amazing how you actually drive that car, id be too busy pressing all the buttons...then trying to find the ejector seat & rockets :p

Soldato
not really considering the unit is quite old, things have moved on a lot since then :)

With the other stuff around, gps stuff, imo it lets it down

Soldato
Very posh indeed, sir. I've also got the Garmin Streetpilot and I'd never leave home without it. I even use it to go to the corner shop because I like being spoken to by a sexy voice. When the weather warms up and I start travelling I'll be getting an Origin Blue-I to accompany me on me travels.

Bestest Bragging Rights yet, methinks, sah.

Commissario
OP
Yup, fixed using the oval sticky thing that came with the GPS. Make sure you use the one with the hole in the middle though because the other one isn't anywhere near as good.

In fact, everything is fixed using exactly those same pads. I bought a supply of them because they're so good. Nothing inside the car is screwed in place, it's all fitted with sticky pads.

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom