My Wife and I (Our Story)

Soldato
I first met my wife in 2001. We'd been talking over the internet for just over a year before deciding to finally meet up. We've been together ever since. My best friend for over 20 years, we've built a life together, bought our first home, had our first baby, moved to a bigger home and settled down into family life.

On the 6th December 2021 things would change. Our world was about to get shattered. Rewind to a few weeks prior to that though, here's what happened.

In early November she started to have trouble with her back, lots of aches and pains that didn't go away with pain killers. We tried to get in to see the GP as we thought it may be related to her disability (Cerebral Palsy with her legs, suffered from birth)

We initially though she may have pulled her back or trapped a nerve. Anyway, we didn't actually get to see or speak to a GP, only the receptionist who passed a message on to the GP and she was prescribed some pain killers over the phone.

A week later and still in pain we phoned 111 who sent for an ambulance. 12 hour wait overnight and the ambulance turned up next day and took her to A&E. 8 hours later in A&E she was discharged without really being assessed and was told to see the GP for some stronger pain killers.

So.. we did just that. Another week of "stronger" pain killers and still no joy. It got the point where she was in so much pain she was unable to get up off the floor.

So a 999 call went in, ambulance turned up 4 hours later and took her back to A&E. She was prodded and poked for a while and told to go see the GP it was a muscular issue.... off home they sent her again doubled over in pain, hardly able to move.

I booked a session with a Physio that we've used before with her condition and went to see him straight away. He spent a couple of hours doing various movements and stretches with her back to see where the pain was coming from. He was unable to make a conclusive decision about what was causing the pain. With some simple stretches to try and do we headed back home. (still in serious pain).

A few days later, still in pain, hardly able to move. I was having to physically help her to get dressed, wash, use the toilet etc. We decided enough was enough.

So another call to 999. Explained the situation again and was told here could be a 12 hour wait for the ambulance. So I took her up the A&E myself, having to arrange child care and dance around work schedules and what not. Things were starting to get very stressful at this point.

Due to COVID and all that, I was unable to stay with her in A&E, so off home I went. Several hours later I had a message from her to say that were finally going to admit her for tests. This was on the 24th November...

Between the 24th November and 6th December several things happened. I don't have the energy to go into detail about each day but in general this is it:

She had scans, MRI's, x-rays, multiple blood tests, several falls trying to use the toilet, lots of pain, lots of pain killers, several instances of medications being hours late (up to 6 hours in a few cases).

Being told many different things by many different people, Doctors, Nurses, Physicians. All saying something different. It could be this, it could be that. Having to go through all of this on her own. The ward was in lock down and visitors we not allowed.

Then on the 6th December 2021 they gave her the diagnosis (on her own).

She had Blood Cancer. Multiple Myeloma Stage II. With the back pain being cause by three fractured vertebrae which had cracked and crumbled due to the type of Cancer she has.

Multiple myeloma, also known as myeloma, is a type of bone marrow cancer. Bone marrow is the spongy tissue at the center of some bones that produces the body's blood cells.

It's called multiple myeloma as the cancer often affects several areas of the body, such as the spine, skull, pelvis and ribs.

Though the treatments available are highly effective, it is ultimately a Cancer than cannot be cured, its considered a Terminal Cancer.

She started treatment the day after for 3 weeks and was discharged on the 21st December to be home for Christmas. Treatment is still on going and she will eventually have to have a bone marrow / stem cell transplant.

We now have a diagnosis and can start to process it together as a family. Our 6 year old daughter (turned 6 while her mum was in hospital and unable to see her due to restrictions and lockdown on the ward) is aware that mummy is ill and needs lots of tablets and treatment from the hospital. She's been a total star and understanding through-out all of this.

I have to say I am most disappointed with the hospital and lack of care we received during that time. When she was discharged for Christmas, she was due a prescription to bring home with her to have over Christmas and new year. (3 weeks worth of chemo tablets, pain killers, blood thinners and anti-virals.)

A new Prescription should have been ready for the 23rd. It wasn't... she had run out of her chemo tablets and pain killers. I was trying for hours to get through to them on the phone, frantically chasing, trying to get an answer... I was unable to get through to the ward. So I drove down there instead. Only to find they had all closed up for Christmas (cancer unit/ward) and her medication/prescription had not been dispensed by the pharmacy....

Now what? A drug that is vital to her treatment plan is locked away in the hospital that no one has access too until they are back. With it being the Oncology/Hematology ward they are only open Monday - Friday for treatments. So we spent the next few days over Christmas trying to get answers and a prescription for her. We couldn't get one. It wasn't until the 30th December I received a call to say her Prescription is ready to collect from the hospital.

Unfortunately this isn't the end of it... unknowingly to us, she had started to develop a pressure ulcer (What we now know is she should have been discharged with a pressure cushion) as she's unable to move around and needed support for her bum. Fast forward a few weeks, and several calls to try and get a district nurse out to see her... we finally had a visit from the district nurses.

Grade 4 pressure wound. Due to not having the pressure cushion or advise that was needed. It took almost 4 weeks for Occupational Therapy to get in touch from her being discharged to send out some "equipment" to help out around the home. Again, all this was done over the phone. Believe it or not. We had our first home visit from occupational therapy last week! Yes, its March 2022!

Anyway, I think I've probably taken up enough of your time. If you made it to the end thanks for reading. It's helped me to write out this post. It's taken me a couple of days to do it, and its been emotional to revisit my notes on everything that has happened, but I think its helped me to come more to terms with our life going forward.

My wife is still dealing with her pressure ulcer, it could take many months for that to get back to normal, we're still receiving daily visits from nurses to clean and dress the wound. She is almost at the end of her 5th Cycle of Chemo injections (there are usually 6 cycles before moving on to the stem cell / marrow treatment) but she has been told that if she isn't well enough from her pressure sore then they may not be able to proceed with the treatment until she's in a fitter state.

I'm totally exhausted. I'm still working a 40 hour week. Having to do all the chores, school run, school work etc etc. Caring for my wife, she;'s lost a lot of muscle mass and is still very weak. So I'm caring for her 24/7 too.

We have a long path ahead of us, I don't know how long it will take to get there, but there isn't anyone else in this world I would want to travel down it with.

Hold your loved ones close, stop and take the scenic route every once in a while. Tell them you love them. Be present and enjoy life. We don't know how long we have in this life.

Peace and love to all.

Underboss
Long tough read that, you both have my sincere sympathies and I wish you all the best in what is to come.

Don't really know what else to say, I fear that many stories like this will come back from GPs & the NHS due to COVID - horrible situation to be in.

Soldato
Sorry to hear about this, love to you and all your family. I've had to go through similar recently. My Dad passed away on the 25th of February, we had no idea how ill he was. Going through all of his stuff, some really vital things were missed, and the care he received in hospital was pretty dire. We're having an inquest now. It's ****. And I'm considering private health insurance now because of all this.

Soldato
As mentioned, speak to MacMillan if you haven't already.

Have a look round your area to see if there are any services (doesn't have to be NHS as such) that will give carer support.

Also, see if there is any support for your daughter.

Make sure you are aware that at some point, you are also likely to need support. You're very busy right now which means you don't have time to consider what is actually happening. Just be conscious it may catch you unawares later on.

We went through a similar experience in 2012/13. However, my family and I received a very good level of support.

Associate
So sorry to hear this mate. I have been married for twenty years as well and my wife is my rock.

I would absolutely echo what others here have said about seeking whatever extra support you access, especially from MacMillan.

Do not try and do it all your self, you need strength for you wife and family and without help you will break at some point, physically or mentally. It is not a sign of weakness, just what happens to anyone eventually under that pressure, believe me.

Found on your family and take advantage of anything that helps you do just that but also you will need a few hours to yourself now and again to decompress, so get support for that too.

All the best to you and your family.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. I completely forgot to mention in my post about Dougie Mac. They we're in touch at the start and very proactive with their internal team of Doctors, phoning up to check in on us, adjusting medication, prescribing new things to try. Though we don't tend to hear from them as much now, they have made it clear they are there if we need them.

Though to what extent I don't know.

Family is a tricky one. My parents are 50 mile away, but have said call if we ever need anything. The wifes parents are also dealing with Cancer too, so it's not so easy to get help from them.

Soldato
Anyway, I think I've probably taken up enough of your time. If you made it to the end thanks for reading. It's helped me to write out this post. It's taken me a couple of days to do it, and its been emotional to revisit my notes on everything that has happened, but I think its helped me to come more to terms with our life going forward.

That's a heart rendering story, and I know exactly how difficult this must have been to write for you, but I'm glad you mustered up the energy and courage to do it because as you've found, it is a cathartic thing to do, even though I've never managed to do the same on here yet.

Peace and love to all.

And to you and your family gecko, stay strong but reach out for help whenever you need it.

Soldato
She had Blood Cancer. Multiple Myeloma Stage II.

Oh dear. I'm very sorry to hear that.

I used to work in a hospital (over a decade ago!) and I do hope you have made a formal complaint to the GMC about the doctors, and I do hope you have written to your MP or MSP about not being able to get the medicine over Christmas. The 'service' (for want of a better word) you indicate you have received falls far below any reasonable standard.

I'm totally exhausted. I'm still working a 40 hour week. Having to do all the chores, school run, school work etc etc.

Please get someone to help. Please. Tell the school to not set any homework. Not that a 6 year-old should be getting homework anyway. Get a cleaner in. Etc. Yes you'll likely have to pay for some of it. But as you poignantly write, the two of you do not have time. So spend the money now to better use the time left to her. Let me be blunt: who will adopt your daughter if you have a stress-induced stroke or heart attack?

Soldato
Absolutely heart wrenching for you both and what you have been through is shocking I wish you the best.

I have lots of experience with the benefits side of this unfortunately. If you ever need any advice on pip and others I’m happy to help even if it brings a little extra financial security and the ability to pay for carers and adaptions further down the road.

I haz 4090!
Don
Hard read that and my sympathies go out to you. That must have been horrendous over Christmas not being able to get your prescription and does generally line up with my view on the NHS at the moment - barely functional.

Please keep us posted even if it's only to rant and blow off some steam! Wishing you and the family all the best.

Soldato
Really sorry to hear what you and your wife have been through. Hope you're both maybe able to get some support from of the cancer related charities etc, and hope you're able to get a bit of support for yourself at this difficult time, can't imagine the weight on your shoulders with everything that's gone on, work, and caring for wife & daughter.

All the best OP, peace and love to you too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Macmillan were fantastic when my father had cancer and have the upmost respect for them. It was a big struggle at 20 years old to be looking after your father in his final moments but they helped loads.

Can only echo your experiences with the current state of the NHS and whilst I do not blame a lot of individuals who do try hard the whole thing is rotten to the core. My missus ended up with sciatica caused by the lowest two slipped discs. GP was totally useless and never had a face to face 3 months trying. All hiding behind covid whilst everyone else had to work through it. She was bed ridden and could barely move. This is a women that never had a day off sick in her life. Although we had our second child two years ago that ended up being a C section so we can only guess that had something to do with it.

Constantly fobbed off with pain killers and turned around by A&E as we just didn't know where to go. Eventually constant ringing to 101 we ended up getting somewhere. To cut a long story short we ended up going all the way up to basically hull to see a contractor who ended up booking us to a clinic in Sheffield to have a Epidural just so she could walk. We live in South Lincolnshire so had to travel 2 hours and wait 4 months just to get a simple procedure done. She was basically walking around like a troll for 4 month because she couldn't straighten her back.

We got some letters through the post last month to review our GP which I went into great detail how poor they were. I guess there have been a lot of complaints which have led to this.

Also good luck with your journey OP.

Caporegime
In my experience hospitals dismiss people as hypochondriacs and always assume you are wasting their time.

I wouldn't go to my local one ever again

Back
Top Bottom