MYBTours Inc : The Bent Pyramid (Loads and loadsa piccies to hannoy 56K users)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
MYBTours Inc : The Bent Pyramid

Bent-NW-2001-2.jpg

The Bent pyramid is a fascinating structure which raises as many questions as it answers about the evolution of the pyramid. Mysteriously, this pyramid started at one angle (approx. 52 degrees) and then suddenly changes to a more gradual angle of 43 degrees. This odd arrangement provides this pyramid with a distinctive and unique appearance. There are several possible reasons for this change in angle. Currently, the most widely accepted theory is that King Sneferu realized that if he were to continue the pyramid at its initial angle, it would rise to a height which would require a tremendous amount of material and labor. Another theory holds that the original angle resulted in displacement of many blocks and cracking of the blocks that lined the chambers and passageways. This theory continues that the gentler angle was employed to reduce the amount of weight to be added above these chambers and passageways.

This pyramid boasts of the most intact casing of any pyramid in Egypt. Although parts of the casing are crumbling away, this pyramid gives the best idea of the sparkling brilliance that the pyramids of Egypt had before their casings were stripped away. Mostly these casings were removed and the limestone from the casings were used to build many other structures in Egypt.
Although the body of Sneferu has not been found and may have been disposed long ago by thieves, few experts believe that Sneferu was buried in this pyramid. Most believe that he was buried in the next pyramid to be built to the north, now called the Red Pyramid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bentno.jpg
bentdoor.jpg

The Bent pyramid is unusual in that it sports two entrances. One entrance was on the north side, as is typical of all other pyramids. In this picture you can see the north entrance which has recently been fitted with a metal door.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bentwest.jpg
westdoor.jpg

On the west side you can see the other entrance which, due to its distance from the ground and intact casing around the opening, does not yet require a door.

Soldato
OP
bentso.jpg
bentsub.jpg

bent98e.jpg

The south side contains the smaller subsidiary pyramid which was possibly intended for the kings wife, Queen Heterpheres. Other experts say that the subsidiary pyramids served other purposes and so far their true purpose remains elusive.

Soldato
OP
bent98b.jpg

This smaller auxiliary pyramid still retains some of its original limestone casing at the base. The entrance is still approachable though one glance into this passageway reveals only sand and debris. Inside of this pyramid is a prototypical Grand Gallery, that is, a corbelled sloping chamber that leads to the main chamber. This design innovation demonstrates the evolution of pyramids in the Old Kingdom as this concept would later appear in grander form in the Great Pyramid.

bent98c.jpg

bent98d.jpg

Soldato
OP
bent98a.jpg
benttemp.jpg

benttem2.jpg

In front of the pyramid at the center of its east side lies the remains of the Mortuary temple of Sneferu. This temple is flanked by the remains of two large stelae which no longer bear any inscription.

Inside the Bent Pyramid

bentinternal.gif
bentdesc1.jpg

The Bent Pyramid is the only known pyramid from the Old Kingdom to have two separate entrances on two different faces. One is on the traditional north face, while the other is on the west face. We will enter from the north side. The entrance is presently protected by a metal door which is locked. I was granted special permission to photograph the interior because I wore posh sunglarses. This first picture shows the uppermost portion of the descending passageway just beyond the door. In the foreground are leather buckets which are used to excavate and carry away sand and debris. You can see displacement of some of the blocks which line that passageway.

Soldato
OP
At the bottom of the descending passageway is a short section that levels off into a shallow depression. Presently there are wood planks across this. Past this, we enter the antechamber for these chambers.

bentdesc2.jpg

Here's the bottom of the descending passageway looking back up from the beginning of the antechamber. This antechamber is narrow and has a corbelled ceiling, which has a roughened appearance. The walls also appear undressed in places suggesting that this passage may have been unfinished.
BELOW: Looking up in the antechamber at the corbelled ceiling.

bentant1.jpg

bentant4.jpg

At the south end of the antechamber is a steep ledge. A wooden ladder is in place which leads to the main chamber.

bentant2.jpg

bentant3-2001.jpg

Above is a view of the corbelled ceiling of the antechamber as seen from the first chamber. The wooden pieces seen in this photo are of my own doing, cos I was scared. You can see how the closer section of the corbelling is rougher and the portion further back is more finely finished. As you turn around 180 degrees you take your first look into the lower chamber.

Soldato
OP
Entering the chamber looking upward, you can see the corbelled ceiling with the modern scaffolding which I herected. A ladder, almost 50 foot in length, leads to a connecting passage between this set of chambers and the passageway and chambers that are accessed from the western entrance.

bentchamb1-2001.jpg

blindshaft2.gif
bentchamb2.jpg

ABOVE: At the southeast corner of the first chamber is a niche-like opening, which, when this picture was taken was filled with rubble. This area continues upward rising to a blind passage.

Looking up the south wall from the base of the same short passage. If you look carefully above this short passage you can see a small corbelled niche which is an outlet to the blind passage that rises upward from the bottom opening:

bentchamb3.jpg

This opening has since been cleaned and underneath the rubble is a smooth finished floor.

bent-lowerchamb-niche-2001.jpg

Above: This picture, taken more recently, is a view looking up from within this opening. You can see the inside of the corbelled niche to the right. In the center you can see that the upward shaft ends blindly with a smoothly finished ceiling.

Soldato
OP
Here's a better look at that corbelled niche from within the lower main chamber:

bentniche1-2001.jpg

Climbing the long ladder leads to a passageway that connects the main lower chamber with another chamber that is accessed from the opening on the western face. Here is the top of the ladder and the opening of that connecting passageway:

bentchamb5-2001.jpg

The top portion of the corbelling of the main chamber as seen from the connecting passageway.

bentchamb4.jpg

After climbing the long ladder you enter the connecting passageway. Here is a view looking back toward the first chamber from within this passageway. My foot wasn't there at the time of building:

bentconn1.jpg

BELOW: Turning around and looking into the connecting passage. Hignore my protruding arm which wasn't there at the time:

bentconn2.jpg

Soldato
OP
BELOW: A look back at the connecting passage after exiting into the next east-west passageway:

bentconn3.jpg
connectingpassageway.gif

twoportcullis.gif

The connecting passageway leads to the east-west passageway that has its entrance on the west face of the pyramid. This passageway is very interesting in that it contains two portcullis blocking systems which were built to seal the main chamber after the burial of the king. These blocking systems are unique because they utilize a system where the blocks slide down diagonally, as opposed to vertically as seen in other pyramids. The first block is in place with a rectangular hole cut through it. You can see this looking west. Between the end of the connecting passage and the block is a shallow shaft, also seen here:

bentport1.jpg
bentport1a.jpg

Soldato
OP
bentport5a.gif

Looking east toward the burial chamber you can see the other portcullis block which is not in its closed position, but instead is help up by a wooden timber. The space that houses this block has a corbelled ceiling (below).

bentport2.jpg
bentport2b.jpg
bentport2a.jpg

Soldato
OP
Looking past the portcullis block you can see two other shallow shafts. This terminates at a ledge which leads to the main burial chamber:

mainchamber2.gif
bentpass2.jpg

BELOW: The easternmost end of this passageway.

bentpass3.jpg

Looking up into the south edge of the burial chamber from the passageway:

bentburial2.jpg
mainchamber.gif

For this trip, this is as far as we go.

An hextortionate further hexcursion, showing the intricacies, details and history of the Bent Pyramid is available on request.

Associate
Excellent post MYB. Certainly worth the 5 stars I'll be givin it :)

In fact thats the most interesting post I think I've read....possibly EVER.....I'm really interested in all this stuff :) Any more piccies and info on similar topics would be much appreciated :) Thanks.

Originally posted by MindYerBeak

An hextortionate further hexcursion, showing the intricacies, details and history of the Bent Pyramid is available on request.

That's what I'M talkin bout! :D

Associate
Excellent Post!

Who watched the documentary on Discovery a few months ago about drilling through the wee 'door' in the narrow shaft in one of the pyramids .... quite good that ... i guess they will be back in a few years to drill through the second door!

Associate
All I can say is Wow! I didn't know people were allowed to go into the pyramids. You are very lucky man indeed Mr Beaky sah!

The pictures are fascinating. Had to go back and look at them all again after the first time. Excellent post. This needs achieving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom