Nasty Gal ad banned over "underweight" model

Soldato
I was going to post this on FB but thought better of it -- didn't want to upset my fatty colleagues/friends ;):p lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45808500

So, an advert showing a perfectly healthy model has been banned because she looked underweight, whereas it's perfectly ok for a morbidly obese "plus size model" to grace the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine? (Tess Halliday) :confused:

I don't understand the world we live in anymore... I give up. Just, no. :(

Soldato
Don't try to assume my waistline

e: I've always wondered the reasoning behind banning "fat shaming" I.E. showing normal attractive people in adverts. Obesity is a problem, people need to be aware that being fat is bad for them and not La La La themselves into accepting that they are fat, end of, absolutely no way to get back to a normal weight. Blubber whales are not healthy, beautiful people. They're a time bomb and an expense to society, like smokers and drunks. Except we all have to pretend that not being able to see your feet is "normal"

/rant

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to post this on FB but thought better of it -- didn't want to upset my fatty colleagues/friends ;):p lol

So, an advert showing a perfectly healthy model has been banned because she looked underweight, whereas it's perfectly ok for a morbidly obese "plus size model" to grace the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine? (Tess Halliday) :confused:

Welcome to 2018.

Being an unhealthy whale is a positive thing and you go gurl... but girl with normal weight is banned.

Edit: I had to google Tess Halliday.... WTF.....

giphy.gif

Caporegime
No no, we mustn't offend those who are incapable of staying healthy, they may get depressed and enter a cycle of depression and turn to alcohol, food, drugs, whatever. We need to encourage these people to be happy as they are.

*Am I doing this right?

Soldato
I don't mind a lass with a bit of timber however I think that the term "plus-size" has been bastardised by obese women looking to feel better about themselves.

You see women who are, say size 22+ claiming they are "plus size". No love, you're ten to the power of size.

To ban an advert of a healthy weight woman because by being so makes obese women feel bad, Is that not body-shaming her for being conscientious about her health, both present and in future?

Soldato
There are too many factors on the whole fat/thin/body-image issue for me to come up with a coherent opinion on it all. It's complex, there are a lot of factors, and rarely do I see anyone write anything particularly insightful or sensible on the issue.

But, personally, I do love skinny pretty women :D

Permabanned
The way some dudes talk on here is ******** disgusting. I agree that this story is a little perverse and completely agree that actively encouraging the idea of 'healthy obesity' is twaddle, but the way you guys speak about it...

It's the language of the simple minded 12 year old bully boy and it instantly deters others from seeing you're point of view. And yet you all wonder why the 'loony left' has been able to run away with agendas like this one...

Permabanned
There are too many factors on the whole fat/thin/body-image issue for me to come up with a coherent opinion on it all. It's complex, there are a lot of factors, and rarely do I see anyone write anything particularly insightful or sensible on the issue.

But, personally, I do love skinny pretty women :D

Dude, don't be posting reasonable comments like that anywhere near GD in the future. I think some of the forum regulars will actually start to melt if it happens to often...

Soldato
You could pretty much scoop 90% of these body image debates up under one umbrella, health. I don't care if someone is fat or thin, obese or malnourished. I don't care what other people look like as it really has no impact on me. What I will say is that people have a responsibility to manage their own health, and should consider what impact being on either end of the weight spectrum might have on their physical, mental and emotional well being.

Caporegime
It’s pretty silly, obesity is a far bigger health problem yet we’re supposed to embrace it and celebrate a morbidly obese future diabetes disaster on the front cover of Cosmo UK while supposedly skinny models need to be banned for “health reasons”.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato

This is a joke right? She's certainly not healthy, she looks disgusting.

Good thing nobody has to see her. She needs to start eating.

Back
Top Bottom