Nasty Gal ad banned over "underweight" model

Soldato
Why? We complain that as a society we're becoming more disjointed as disparate then when people do try and improve things you're now complaining?
Not everything is on the NHS to fix. People have responsibility for their own health.
And as for you've got to die of something, bugger it then, why do we have healthcare at all?
Hey lets not get in a flame war about this. We are both grown ups right that clearly understand the importance of personal heath even if our views are a bit different. You mention that we complain as a society that we are becoming more disjointed but i disagree, we are closer than ever before and i think this is the real problem. Social media has done both good and bad things for our society and the subject of this thread in particular is a bad one in my eyes. But saying that, it is here to stay and the direction we are heading in is one that cannot be stopped like it or not, we are all able to now put in words for the world to see that we used to only debate within the 4 walls of our homes or local pub except now there is literally no filter at all. This in itself can be a damaging thing to society.

At the risk of going a little off subject here i have 2 boys that will grow up in this over opinionated keyboard warrior world that is more full of confusion and mixed messages then it ever has been and it will be my job to try my best to assist them on the straight and narrow of what i see fit to help them with. This should be the basis of any generation being brought up by their elders so maybe we should be starting to look a little more inwards as a society and not outwards via social media preaching our own ideas of whats right and wrong without even knowing all the facts. Its frankly ridiculous and ironically unhealthy.

My personal option is that the girl in this advert looks healthy and will currently cost the NHS very little in regards to her BMI if she stay that size.

Permabanned
Start watching the breakfast shows.

Or did you miss the huge backlash when cancer UK ran its obesity is the 2nd largest cause of cancer?

That got slammed and that fat comedian is currently writing a book about how being fat is good.

There is a big push not just in fashion to accept fat as normal

Those same Breakfast shows that bring guests on deliberately to stir up controversy to draw in larger audiences?

There's a push for society to accept plus sized people as normal, but not obese people.

Caporegime
On a similar topic.

Greece bans obese people from riding donkeys.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/09/greece-bans-obese-tourists-from-riding-on-donkeys-8022143/

Would love to be stood behind the person when they are told they're too heavy.

Fair enough, that photo that did the rounds on social media was pretty horrendous, you don't really need to weigh the woman featured to realise that she is way too big for the poor donkey! Frankly plenty of non-obese muscular men shouldn't be on them either, leave donkey rides to kids and the elderly.

Soldato
Until I was 16 I was a healthy athletic lad, rugby, badminton, squash, cycling, swimming, loved it.

I then developed a stomach acid problem and my weight shot up from 9 stone to 16 stone. By the time this was sorted I was crying myself to sleep because of an undiagnosed hereditary autoimmune disease that means I basically live in pain all the time. At best, it feels like a fractured bone, at worst, my entire body feels like every bone has been dislocated and someone is sticking hot or cold burning sticks into the joints.

I also have borderline personality disorder, eating is a form of self harm I fight every single day. My eating isn't too bad, but I struggle to exercise due to the pain but I try.

I am overweight, 21.5 stone and 5'10"

Anyone that says being overweight/fat is full of ****

Buying clothes, playing with your kids, DIY, washing cars, any strenuous activity completely takes it out of you. Granted, some of mine can be down to the autoimmune disease and fatigue but it's ****.

What I want to look like isn't diagnosed by adverts or magazines, I want to be healthy, fit and active. Being fat stops that.

Simply Be adverts, annoy the hell out of me, especially when adverts like this get banned because of some ribs. the only way the simply be girls like ribs is covered in bbq sauce. I try not to fat shame, being fat myself, but if it's ok to pick at healthy and skinny people that fatties are fair game to me.

Both of my kids leave a healthy life, we encourage it and we're trying to build habits for them now that they can take forwards with them .

Caporegime
Those same Breakfast shows that bring guests on deliberately to stir up controversy to draw in larger audiences?

There's a push for society to accept plus sized people as normal, but not obese people.

Yes.

And it's work clearly 100% because you just said plus sized not obease.

Plus sized are obease medically obease thsts what they are you just changed what they are from obease to some made up phrase designed to make it sound like Theyr e just the upper end of healthy

Soldato
Yes.

Plus sized are obease medically obease thsts what they are you just changed what they are from obease to some made up phrase designed to make it sound like Theyr e just the upper end of healthy

What would you call bigger clothing then? "obese size" ? Plus size isn't necessarily obese either.

On the original point, the girl does look super skinny and its all well and good us on this forum (mainly 20+ year old blokes right?) saying "whats wrong with it" but children are heavily influenced by these kinds of adverts and it they do need to be careful when advertising with both skinny and larger people.

Permabanned
Yes.

Rubbish. You can be classified as 'overweight' as opposed to 'class 1 obese' and have to buy plus sized clothing. I'm 6'1 and only weigh 14 stone and I have to by what would be classified as male plus sizes.

Caporegime

"Plus sized" actually triggers quite a lot of people, especially when used to refer to a model who is only overweight or is just pushing into obese territory.

I guess the average adult in the UK is overweight, so when some people see an overweight model being referred to as "plus sized" in some article then they lose their **** and start ranting about how said model is a normal weight.

Soldato
Until I was 16 I was a healthy athletic lad, rugby, badminton, squash, cycling, swimming, loved it.

I then developed a stomach acid problem and my weight shot up from 9 stone to 16 stone. By the time this was sorted I was crying myself to sleep because of an undiagnosed hereditary autoimmune disease that means I basically live in pain all the time. At best, it feels like a fractured bone, at worst, my entire body feels like every bone has been dislocated and someone is sticking hot or cold burning sticks into the joints.

I also have borderline personality disorder, eating is a form of self harm I fight every single day. My eating isn't too bad, but I struggle to exercise due to the pain but I try.

I am overweight, 21.5 stone and 5'10"

Anyone that says being overweight/fat is full of ****

Buying clothes, playing with your kids, DIY, washing cars, any strenuous activity completely takes it out of you. Granted, some of mine can be down to the autoimmune disease and fatigue but it's ****.

What I want to look like isn't diagnosed by adverts or magazines, I want to be healthy, fit and active. Being fat stops that.

Simply Be adverts, annoy the hell out of me, especially when adverts like this get banned because of some ribs. the only way the simply be girls like ribs is covered in bbq sauce. I try not to fat shame, being fat myself, but if it's ok to pick at healthy and skinny people that fatties are fair game to me.

Both of my kids leave a healthy life, we encourage it and we're trying to build habits for them now that they can take forwards with them .
Fair play to you buddy. It cant be easy for you at all and the fact you are able to keep a steady mind and think about this objectively is credit to you.

Your point about making your kids healthy is one that is ignored by far too many people these days and thats the main problem in my eyes. 99% of parents are not too stupid, they are just too dam lazy or have the opinion of "if it was good enough for me its good enough for them". In this case i fear they are a bit of a lost cause buit hey, variety is the spice of life right?

Caporegime
Welcome to 2018.

Being an unhealthy whale is a positive thing and you go gurl... but girl with normal weight is banned.

Edit: I had to google Tess Halliday.... WTF.....

giphy.gif

zgwvPFd.png

:p

A tatted up blimp is putting it mildly.

Caporegime
I actually thought it was a joke at first.... then realised she's actually serious and the idiots who put her on are serious too.

She is beyond overweight and basically in moby dick terrritory.....

She was on this morning a while back as well, looks like a walking wall for tattoo artists to practise on.

Caporegime
I actually thought it was a joke at first.... then realised she's actually serious and the idiots who put her on are serious too.

She is beyond overweight and basically in moby dick terrritory.....

also, that whale pic was the result of this lol worthy social media post:

tDQJdPl.jpg

Caporegime
I don't know who she is and yes she's overweight...massively so. It doesn't give people the right to take the **** out of her though.

Well shes the one putting herself out there on magazine covers, tv interviews etc. So comments are going to be varying including stating the blindingly obvious.

Back
Top Bottom