1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NCD 9 years + annoyed at myself

Discussion in 'Motors' started by DB_SamX, Sep 9, 2019.

1. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

I've just renewed my car insurance and I just noticed that my last couple NCD certificates, from my insurers since 2017, have been saying 9 years.

It only clicked today seeing it on CompareTheMarket and thinking about it, that I have owned my own cars for 12 years with no claims, so that is what my NCD should be based on.

Reading around, I now understand that most insurers cap the NCD at 9 years, but others account for more, not that it makes a huge defference in £££ - maybe 5%/£20 or so.

Is there any point in the effort going back to past insurers asking them to amend the NCD certificates for 2017 and 2018 to show the correct years accrued, regardless of whether they count it or no? Or do I just suck it up just accept the three lost years?

2. paradigm

Caporegime

I've never found much difference between 9 and any higher number.

Currently with AXA and have a renewal letter with 12 years stated on it, so at least I now know of an insurer that states more than 9.

3. Vertigo1

Capodecina

If you have X years accrued, but then go with an insurer who only recognises fewer than this, when you get your NCD from them at the end of the year, will they only give you the lesser number of years they recognise, thus costing you the additional ones you had?

(Does that even makes sense? :D )

4. TNGL

Mobster

Not worth the effort.

5. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

Yes, that seems what happened to me, although in reality, it does not automatically mean a higher premium because after 9 years, the additional discount is small.

6. smilertoo

Mobster

If they choose not to reduce the price after 9 years that's their choice but they shouldnt be trashing years of your NCB.

7. xs2man

Mobster

Same situation. I have 13 years on one policy, but its "maxed" at 9. I do have confirmation it is 13 years though.

8. Rroff

Man of Honour

Does anyone find it actually makes much difference? on my quotes it has rarely been more than a couple of £ a year or so.

9. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

Thread revival; I wrote to both Tesco and Lloyds, and was pleasantly surprised at recently receiving corrected NCD letters with the correct years accrued. Some good customer service!