Near silent HDD for a NAS?

Soldato
I've live in a very small place and unfortunately my NAS has to be in my living room and i can hear whirring away at all times and it's starting to get pretty irritating. I know no HDD is completely silent but are there any that are inaudible once you're 4-5 feet away?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Which NAS? Can you box it in or add any sound insulation to it? I'd try that first before replacing the drives which is much more expensive.

Soldato
OP
Which NAS? Can you box it in or add any sound insulation to it? I'd try that first before replacing the drives which is much more expensive.

It's an xpenology small form factor box i put together myself so i'm not really sure what kind of thing i might be able to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Man of Honour
It's an xpenology small form factor box i put together myself so i'm not really sure what kind of thing i might be able to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Hard to know without seeing the enclosure and which & how many disks you have, but you can get the acoustic pads to stop disks from vibrating too much or put some foam on the NAS case to reduce the noise as well. You've got to me careful about air flow and temps going up though.

Soldato
One thing to add here, all HDD's vary in their noise output. So for example you can have identical model HDD's, and one can put out more noise then the other. There is a company in US that specializes in quite computers, and they actually sound test HDD's and select only the queasiest ones for customers.

Back
Top Bottom