NEC LCD24WMGX3 Professional Gaming 24" Widescreen

Associate
I have mine on 20% brightness, 50% contrast with the illuminance sensor set to standard and it's perfect for me. I'll have a look at the vista calibration tool, where abouts do I find it? I remember seeing it a while ago but can't remember where.

Soldato
I didn't understand why it was around £200 cheaper here than any other online store in the first place - surely you were selling them at the price you paid for them or near enough?

Still can't wait to test it properly over DVI, come on OC UK get me mah PSU and Noctua! :)

Associate
I have mine on 20% brightness, 50% contrast with the illuminance sensor set to standard and it's perfect for me. I'll have a look at the vista calibration tool, where abouts do I find it? I remember seeing it a while ago but can't remember where.

Type Media Centre in the start menu, it's in the settings in there somewhere.

You have to make a black X invisible and it's not possible with my monitor

Associate
It seems as though all the popular quality 24" screens that are both good for gaming and films are disappearing from the market.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, I'm really glad I bought mine when I did as this is the only monitor available (or was available) that meets all of my requirements. Once this is gone there's pretty much no monitor left on the market that I'd be happy with.

I think they overestimated how much people were willing to spend when the first introduced it at £700 and got big headed thinking that people would buy it over the competition priced in the £400 range. Shame really as it's a very nice monitor.

Type Media Centre in the start menu, it's in the settings in there somewhere.

You have to make a black X invisible and it's not possible with my monitor

Ah, now I remember where I saw it, it was when I was testing windows 7. I'm running Vista Business since it's free through my university and it doesn't have media centre so I can't test that for you, sorry. Although, surely making the black X invisible means that you're reducing the visible shades of black which is a bad thing? As long as the brightness feels ok on your eyes then I'd say it's fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Big deal, technology always moves forward anway I'm sure some manufacturer will have something that will blow the current crap away.

Will take a lot to make me purchase another 24"+ screen, nothing out their worth going for.

Associate
Big deal, technology always moves forward anway I'm sure some manufacturer will have something that will blow the current crap away.

Will take a lot to make me purchase another 24"+ screen, nothing out their worth going for.

With monitors, technology seems to be at a stand still, which is exactly why you haven't seen fit to replace your monitor. The high end monitor choice is already horribly restricted and they all have their various flaws, it's a shame that the least flawed of the bunch in my opinion will soon be gone.

Associate
I'm thinking of purchasing this monitor tonight as it is now EOL. However, I'm not sure if my psu is up to the job. My current psu is about 6 years old (I think?) and is only 330 watts whilst I've heard that the NEC can draw up to 110 watts. My other components are X2 hard drives 200gb each, a Radeon X700pro 1024mb of ddr2 memory and an Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz processor.

I'm thinking that my poor old computer will not be up to the job, although all I was planning on using it for was movies, word processing and the surfing. Is this true?
I'm a little apprehensive about buying it, if I can't use it until I upgrade my computer at the end of the month. This is because if there is a problem with the monitor, I will have gone past the 7 days distance selling regulations.

The second question I have is whether this monitor is much better than the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP A01 version?. For example, i've heard that the Dell can be too bright even on very low brightness? Many thanks for any help

Thanks very much for any help.

Associate
The 24WMGX3 has it's own power supply, you plug it directly into the wall so it doesnt draw power from your PC at all. It'll also use much less power than that with the brightness lowered. Your PC will have no problem doing 1920x1200 for your intended uses but you'd need to buy a whole new PC if you ever wanted to play modern games.

I've read reviews comparing it to the 2408WFP and they seem to be very close in image quality. Where the 24WMGX3 exceeds it however is in lower input lag, lower height adjustments on the stand and the illuminance sensor which lowers the brightness when it gets darker in your room. At 20% brighness with the illuminance sensor on I find it very easy on my eyes. The 24WMGX3 is also standard gamut vs the Dell's wide gamut which means that colours aren't over saturated like on the Dell such as with skin colour being too red.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, if you're looking for perfection in a monitor you won't find it in tft technology, however this is the best of the bunch for multimedia. TN panels have quick response and no ghosting BUT washed out colours. IPS great colour reprodution BUT ghosting. NEC 24WMGX3 monitor, good colour representation, fair/good with ghosting and a low lag. It's a compromise.

Associate
Thanks very much everyone. :o about the monitor and its own psu. Oh well, it's only by asking questions that I will learn (at least that's what I keep telling myself). :)

Back
Top Bottom