Need 1440p 144hz pref IPS £500-£600

Soldato
Please help... :(

Acer XF270HUA looks to be the best (~£500). Is only free sync though.

Is the Asus PG279Q worth the extra cash for g-sync (~£600)? I haven't chosen my new gfx card yet, will be either 2070 super or 5700xt (though this is a monitor for the next 5 years+):

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-088-as.html

How about the ASUS MG279Q? All the above but with free-sync... however it needs a hack to get free-sync at 144hz!!:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...rXK-4o_C78BoHP4TOq5_FTl3N7cpFMSBoCLpUQAvD_BwE

Any recommendations?

Associate
I'm in the same boat. I was about to take the plunge on the Asus until I saw the new LG. Bit silly buying without seeing a few reviews though. Gigabyte have a 2k/144hz but too many gimmicks for my liking.

Associate
Same for me too.
With the upgrade to RTX 2070 Super GPU, I need to change one of my 1080p 120Hz monitors, to 27" 1444p 144Hz.
Also, my preference is IPS.

This LG monitor might be a good idea and price, compared to the PG279Q.

Soldato
OP
I think this one looks better than all of them now:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...aming-monitor-hdmi-dp-mo-000-gi.html#comments

The LG one isn't released in the US until early/mid August so I don't know when ocuk will get them plus it's only 'g-sync compatible' which means no g-sync variable overdrive which means ghosting apparently. I don't know how much cred you should give this but it was on reddit about the LG:
HDR is “supported” in so much as it accepts an HDR10 input source. This model doesn’t carry any of the VESA DisplayHDR certifications as the peak brightness of 350 cd/m2 is not high enough to even meet the lowly HDR400 level. with no note of any local dimming support included sadly. (from https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/u...-with-144hz-nano-ips-panel-and-adaptive-sync/)

Also has no g sync, only compatiblity with g sync which means no variable overdrive. Also we dont know how good the input lag is gonna be and we dont know about the quality control (if the panel will have BLB issues etc). Also it was supposed to have rgb at the back but they removed that too. I wouldnt preorder any monitor and same goes for this one. I guess its not priced that bad but for people that wanted the ultimate monitor like this one promised to be it will be a hard pass

Associate
I've read a few reviews of the Aorus monitor. The RGB lighting on the back is a not for me. Also all the major settings are controlled by a PC app. There's only very basic physical controls on the actual monitor. The stand is a bit wobbly also apparently. I'm leaning more towards the Asus but quality control issues are still a worry.

V F

V F

Soldato
I've read a few reviews of the Aorus monitor. The RGB lighting on the back is a not for me. Also all the major settings are controlled by a PC app. There's only very basic physical controls on the actual monitor. The stand is a bit wobbly also apparently. I'm leaning more towards the Asus but quality control issues are still a worry.

You can switch the RGB off. The menus are optional, software or joystick and the button/joystick can access every menu. The stand is solid.

Associate
You can switch the RGB off. The menus are optional, software or joystick and the button/joystick can access every menu. The stand is solid.
I've done a bit more research and you can indeed use the physical buttons for all of the settings although on the videos i've seen it does wobble a bit.

Soldato
Just gone from a Dell U2515 (25" 1440p IPS) to an S2716DG and am really impressed. Was expecting to see a huge difference but once settings tinkered with and applied the monitors.info ICC profile I certainly won't be telling the difference in a few weeks time once I'm used to it.

I didn't expect there to be such a noticeable difference going to 144Hz&G-Sync but my gosh I feel like I've been doing myself an injustice for the past few years.

Associate
ASUS PG279Q

I picked up one of these knowing about the poor quality control issues but imagined it was over stated.

Sent it back the next day. Asus are on the take here charging £600 for that trash, backlight bleed was shocking and wasn't interested in playing the constant return lottery as others have in the hope of getting an acceptable one.

Steer clear of the PG279Q

Associate
I just scratched my 32GK850G :( the VA smearing was ******* me off anyway are LG IPS screens any good with backlight bleed that 27GL850-B 27 looks a IPS version of what I've got now.

Soldato
I'd echo above on PG279Q... biggest load of trash monitor I've ever seen. Tried 3 of them before giving up, and this is an experience I've seen countless incidents of. Stay well clear!

The Aorus AD27QD is a good shout, given you can find some good reviews and feedback on it, but personally I'd hold fire until we know more about the LG 27GL850-B. It's much cheaper than the Aorus with a comparable spec, and if LG can sort their QC out it may be the better choice. That said, buying any monitor is a panel lottery these days. :rolleyes:

V F

V F

Soldato
I'd echo above on PG279Q... biggest load of trash monitor I've ever seen. Tried 3 of them before giving up, and this is an experience I've seen countless incidents of. Stay well clear!

The Aorus AD27QD is a good shout, given you can find some good reviews and feedback on it, but personally I'd hold fire until we know more about the LG 27GL850-B. It's much cheaper than the Aorus with a comparable spec, and if LG can sort their QC out it may be the better choice. That said, buying any monitor is a panel lottery these days. :rolleyes:

So is the wait times. I had been waiting since last October for what I wanted.

Is Asus going down the pan with quality? I keep reading a lot of disgruntled people with their service the last few months across a number of forums...

Soldato

The RGB at the back?

1. You'll never see it. It is really unobtrusive.

2. If it really bothers you, you can turn it off.

There's a choice of a joystick or the mouse and keyboard via software. So two options.

Wobbly? Nope. It moves a a few mill if you push it, it 'wobbles' a little if you bang the table. Like every monitor.

I really wouldn't let any of those concerns put you off, especially not the RGB, it's just not an issue at all.

Associate
I think this one looks better than all of them now:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...aming-monitor-hdmi-dp-mo-000-gi.html#comments

The LG one isn't released in the US until early/mid August so I don't know when ocuk will get them plus it's only 'g-sync compatible' which means no g-sync variable overdrive which means ghosting apparently. I don't know how much cred you should give this but it was on reddit about the LG:
Bought two and returned two , Neither were stable on ufo test, has trailing akin to a va panel, terrible bleed and not very responsive to be honest. I have the LG preordered now

Soldato
I bought the acer predator 27” 165hz well over a year now and couldn’t be happier. And I am very very very picky when it comes to QC. Maybe I just got lucky but it has great uniformity and no bleed (I keep it on 80 brightness and still no issues) no dust or pixel issues that I can see.

I have tried the dell tn 1440, pg35vq, x34A, Alienware 34”. All returned. That’s how picky I can be.

But by far the worst was 3 Asus pg279Q I tried and the QC was horrid in comparison. Every one had poor whites, horrible yellow tinting across top of the screen, dust inside monitor, bad bleed etc etc. All was returned.

I actually near on gave up and tried the predator as a last resort and has been flawless monitor since the day I bought it. One of the reasons I’ve kept it so long and kind of refuse to upgrade to anything else. I’ll likely keep it until it dies. I’ve had VA before and wasn’t a fan, still prefer IPS and high refresh rate.

I have also heard good things about the LG’s so maybe worth a try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom