Need a car for the wife - suggestions please !

Caporegime
Sneaky Peaky said:
oooh - could stretch to an 02 Mini Cooper, not soft top but plenty of fun ?

They aren't "bad", but the Cooper gets boring quickly (maybe that is because I was used to driving a Cooper S), they really haven't got much punch at all.

I really would drop your "age" requirement, whack a private plate on a 52 plate Cooper S, and it won't look any older than a 54 plate one (well ok, if you know the differences which are very slight it might look 1% different, but thats it).

Soldato
paradigm said:
They aren't "bad", but the Cooper gets boring quickly (maybe that is because I was used to driving a Cooper S), they really haven't got much punch at all.

I really would drop your "age" requirement, whack a private plate on a 52 plate Cooper S, and it won't look any older than a 54 plate one (well ok, if you know the differences which are very slight it might look 1% different, but thats it).

You won't get a Cooper S for the budget though :(

Caporegime
A supercharger.

The other differences include more aggressive body styling, more kit as standard, plus more available as an option, improved handling, battery has been moved to boot, and hence no spare wheel.

Soldato
Aye, the CooperS has about ~165horses (normal Cooper about 115bhp), and is relatively tunable to about 200+. It also tends to hold its values better than the normal Coopers.

For a good CooperS you're looking at £10k+ unfortunately

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Scottland said:
Unless your Mrs. is an avid driver and/or a petrol head, she'll probably like it. However, it is French and it'll probably have "issues". Unfortunately however, there's little in the way of competition to it in that price range.

It is pretty much the only choice. Convertibles have exceptional residual values and generally tend to almost exclusively cost in excess of £15,000 new.

This, coupled with your budget, means very, very few sub 5 year old convertibles are available for this sort of money.

I can think of the 206CC, the Copen and..... thats about it really.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
It is pretty much the only choice. Convertibles have exceptional residual values and generally tend to almost exclusively cost in excess of £15,000 new.

This, coupled with your budget, means very, very few sub 5 year old convertibles are available for this sort of money.

I can think of the 206CC, the Copen and..... thats about it really.

MGTF 160 a complete no no ?

I only had mine about 6 months one summer and it was a hoot with the top down. Not sure what it would be like in the depths of winter though..

Associate
OP
weeble said:
Are those little smart coupe roadster things in budget - the low one, not the squashed one? Got good little chassis underneath them too, with a wee engine and turbo.

Yep - that's what really started me thinking, mate was selling one with a bigger turbo, remap, decat and loads of Brabus goodies, wheels etc..
Looked great and supposed to go really well - some issues with the gearbox though but supposed to be better with the flappy paddles.

Soldato
Sneaky Peaky said:
MGTF 160 a complete no no ?

I only had mine about 6 months one summer and it was a hoot with the top down. Not sure what it would be like in the depths of winter though..

They're not as good as an MX-5, but a lot of whats "not as good" can be subjective. Things like build quality, looks, etc etc
On the reliability side, I think it uses the K-Series? So head gaskets

Go and have a look at one, but do try and make a direct comparison to an MX-5 which is its main competitor. You'd just about get a late 51/02 plate MX-5 for your budget, not sure if it would be the 1.8iS one though, as this is the better specced one.

Caporegime
Scottland said:
Go and have a look at one, but do try and make a direct comparison to an MX-5 which is its main competitor. You'd just about get a late 51/02 plate MX-5 for your budget, not sure if it would be the 1.8iS one though, as this is the better specced one.

Nope you would get a 1.6 base spec at best and even then if you could it would have a fair few miles on it!

Ok things like build quality / quality of materials / reliability / handling aren't subjective it either is or isn't better, and the MX5 wins all of these.

Last edited:
Associate
What about the little MR2 Roadster/Spyder they seem to be in budget on autotrader. Not sure what the general consensus is on them, but I like them :D.

Soldato
The MGTF isn't a bad car!

Yes it might not be as good as the MX5 but it's better looking IMO, a decent handler, mid-engined, rear-wheel drive, great fun

The cabin is fine - every says that they're not well made but Dad has one and it's well screwed together, no rattles, gaps, etc. The materials aren't bad either

Great fun cars - you'll get a lot for your money. Far better than the Copen - different league

Man of Honour
i do have a bit of a soft spot for the smart roadster. Supposed to be a great fun little car to drive, did have a look at one ages ago but didn't get a chance to test drive it as the salesman was being a git :( still the garage has closed now so you gotta laugh :D

Looking into them i got seriously put off though - the amount of problems people were having, and then the abismal service they were getting from the dealers was shocking.

The MRS isn't a bad car either, very compitent drive, great handeling and straight line speed + very good build quality and relyability. However naff all storage space, really its quite a joke how little space there really is in them!

edit- oh and the copen is pretty amuzing little car, the roof is great, they are really well equipt and seriously quirkey little beasts.

Personally i'd steer well clear of any hatch back - softtop conversion (ie KA, 206, new micra) they are all wowfully designed, put together and hidious to look at - the micra espeshally

Last edited:
Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Nope you would get a 1.6 base spec at best and even then if you could it would have a fair few miles on it!

Ok things like build quality / quality of materials / reliability / handling aren't subjective it either is or isn't better, and the MX5 wins all of these.

Subjective in as much as some people dont notice or don't care :)

Back
Top Bottom