Need a mountain bike !

Associate
Hi,

I have recently had many consistent problems with a couple of carrera's that ended up being sent back to the shop and resulting in a full refund therefore for the time being, I'm staying well clear.

My problem being, at the moment I have no mountain bike and with it being close to the (hopefully) hot summer, I need to get one sorted out. I've got £450 which is pushing it a bit therefore I don't think I could possibly go any higher. I have seen a "Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012" in my local store, the white one for £450 reduced from £500 which the man kindly suggested that it was a very good bike for its price.

Also, on another note, how would this bike compare to something like a carrera vulcan / kraken which was sent back to the store a couple of weeks ago due to poor build etc.

So for £450, is there any better bikes out there that I could possibly buy or am I better off going with the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012 ? I generally use my bikes for the odd trailing to places and mostly in woodland and off-road routes.

Many thanks in advance,

Wiry

Soldato
Hi,

I have recently had many consistent problems with a couple of carrera's that ended up being sent back to the shop and resulting in a full refund therefore for the time being, I'm staying well clear.

My problem being, at the moment I have no mountain bike and with it being close to the (hopefully) hot summer, I need to get one sorted out. I've got £450 which is pushing it a bit therefore I don't think I could possibly go any higher. I have seen a "Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012" in my local store, the white one for £450 reduced from £500 which the man kindly suggested that it was a very good bike for its price.

Also, on another note, how would this bike compare to something like a carrera vulcan / kraken which was sent back to the store a couple of weeks ago due to poor build etc.

So for £450, is there any better bikes out there that I could possibly buy or am I better off going with the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012 ? I generally use my bikes for the odd trailing to places and mostly in woodland and off-road routes.

Many thanks in advance,

Wiry

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2012 is about as good as you get for that price - also being a local store etc see if they will throw in a helmet etc for the price.

Associate
OP
Just a little note before I buy one later this week, I've seen a "Cube Aim Disc Mountain Bike Grey Blue 2012" which I really liked the look of. My question being: How does this compare to the hardrock sport disc 2012 for the extra £50 ?

Thanks once again

Associate
OP
I've just had a look on a favourable auction site, I saw a couple of bikes that looked beautiful, shame they weren't in my size. I'll keep looking though, I've seen some real bargains.

Associate
OP
I've just found a Claud Butler Cape Wrath 3 Mens 2010 which I can pick up brand new for £459.99. Wondering what your opinions on this brand is, I'm not an expert on bikes so i've never heard of "Claud"...

Soldato
The hardrock is a wonderful bike. I'm currently using one that's the best part of a decade old and has never been serviced (as soon as i got my hands on it i did clean the chain and oil it however). Gear changes are still buttery smooth and despite the onset of rust (which is the previous owners fault) it has no problems what so ever.

Utterly bullet-proof bike.

Soldato
I've just found a Claud Butler Cape Wrath 3 Mens 2010 which I can pick up brand new for £459.99. Wondering what your opinions on this brand is, I'm not an expert on bikes so i've never heard of "Claud"...

I have that very same bike:

2-9.jpg

Mines on the right :D

Have to admit I paid substantially more than that for it two years ago when I bought it brand new :(.

It's never missed a beat though, also the disc brakes on these I've found to be fantastic. Granted I'm not exactly up to date with the latest mountain bike trends but I'm fairly sure Claud Butler has a pretty good reputation and I'm still more than happy with my bike. :)

Associate
OP
Ah....thanks for sharing the photo Sonea Fifer. Your bike looks lovely and clean or was that just after you'd bought it, hehe. Im really tempted to get the Claud Butler mostly because of the better rated brakes and the front forks. Would it be possible for you to kindly take some photo's of the bike individually (due to it being at a distance) assuming you still have the MTB - when you have got some spare time.

Many thanks once again and I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere.

Soldato
Would it be possible for you to kindly take some photo's of the bike individually (due to it being at a distance) assuming you still have the MTB - when you have got some spare time.

I've still got my Claud, that picture was taken just a couple of weeks ago. I've also have another mountain bike on order which should be arriving later this week - I'll take a few pics of both (closer) and post them up later this week for you dude. :)

Associate
OP
I've still got my Claud, that picture was taken just a couple of weeks ago. I've also have another mountain bike on order which should be arriving later this week - I'll take a few pics of both (closer) and post them up later this week for you dude. :)

Thanks man, much appreciated. Good luck with your new Mtb !

Soldato
What about going second hand? What that get something better?

Its definitely worth looking into going second hand at that price point.. I managed to get a 6 month old 2010 Rockhopper Pro for £500 a year or so ago, was an awesome bike for the money until it got stolen!

Soldato
Would it be possible for you to kindly take some photo's of the bike individually (due to it being at a distance) assuming you still have the MTB - when you have got some spare time.

As requested:

4-4.jpg

3-6.jpg

2-10.jpg

1-11.jpg

I'm sure others with a lot more bike knowledge than myself will be along soon to comment further on the Claud Butler range. I'm still waiting on the Boss Savage arriving. :(

Its definitely worth looking into going second hand at that price point.. I managed to get a 6 month old 2010 Rockhopper Pro for £500 a year or so ago, was an awesome bike for the money until it got stolen!

Wise words - you can grab quite a bargain on the second hand market. The Diamond Back in my original picture was bought at a "steal of a price" ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I picked it up earlier (The Cape Wrath 3) £432 (haggled abit). Gave it a little test ride before it pelted it down with rain. Thanks for the pictures Sonea Fifer, Here's a few of mine :p

WP_000080.jpg

WP_000072.jpg

WP_000078.jpg

WP_000071.jpg

WP_000075.jpg

WP_000069.jpg

WP_000073.jpg

Back
Top Bottom