Need a new bike

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Well after some scumbag stole my bike from central Headingly today. (Right in the middle of the day- unbelievable!), I guess I will be needing a new one.

What I am after is a decent bike for under £300-ish that is to be used mainly on the road, but also a bit off- road (Not proper mountain biking, just woodland trails etc) occasionally.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice so far.

Now I can't really afford a new bike at the moment, but my GF really needs a way to get around as she can't drive. I have just realised I have over 500,000 Priority Club points, which translates into over £800 of vouchers for Evans Cycles.

Soo.... Could you kind people do a few things:

1) Is Evans a good place t buy bikes
2) Is now a good time to buy a bike? I guess a lot of 2010 models are coming out now
3) Am I better off just going to an auction site?

If the answer to at least 2 of 1-3 is Yes:

Can you please also spec me a decent bike for a lady that can take something like a basket/ pannier/ some sort of carrier, and is to be used about 99% on- road and 1% on leafy trails/ woodland trails? (Thinking I will need to spend around £200. Sound OK?)

Thanks

Soldato
Hybrids are ok on the roads, providing you get the right one. The Specialized Sirrus is pretty much the same frame as the Specialized Allez, it's just upright instead of ergobars.

If it's mainly on the road then get something that is mainly designed for road usage. Mountain bikers will tell you that an MTB with slick tyres is good on the roads, but they aren't, they are heavy, slow and uncomfortable.

If I wanted something for mainly road and a little bit of light off road I'd be going for either a road based hybrid or a cyclocross bike (which is essentially a road bike with fatty grippy tyres on on it).

I'd also be looking at second hand from the likes of gumtree and ebay for your budget.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
OP
No:

I should explain:

My bike was stolen. My girlfriend was using it to get around.

I originally looked at replacing it, but decided I could not afford it. (New Macbook, new TV, trying to get my business running, and 2 holidays over the summer has left me broke!)

I then realised I had all these old Priority Club points (Points for staying in Intercontinental Group hotels) from my job. (I travel a hell of a lot).

I looked at what I could buy with the points, and saw I could get up to around £800 of vouchers (I wouldn't redeem the full value, I was just showing off I guess.. I'm sorry and I won't do it again :( ).

I looked at the Evans Cycles site and considered just buying a bike for the GF and leaving mine for now.

I posted here.

I hope that clears it up.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom