Need a new psu. which under £60 will run my rig.

Associate
ok before you say that's too cheap, and save up, or your a fool for not thinking of the psu. i have already given myself the kicking. my budget can only go lower without starving the family :) no future cash or wife kills me.

I bought the following and was wrongly advised a cooler master elite 500watt psu would cope. i know foolish hey, but i listened.

I now have a set up that runs poorly and graphics go nuts. (rma the gpu and it was fine hence psu discovery)

i need to run this ocing the cpu to 4.2 but not the gpu yet.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge)
Geil Black Dragon DDR3 1600
Corsair Hydro H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Z77A-GD65 Intel Z77 Motherboard
MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III OC V2 3mb
60G Agility 3 SSD
2 HDD

in a Cooler Master Elite 430 so bottom set up psu with long cables.

Have sent back the psu so at the moment it is a deceased parrot

Associate
Caporegime
Unless it is a builder series PSU. They don't use Seasonic components.

Thats not correct either is it.

All Builder series (except the classic CX400W) are CWT.

All GS series are CWT.

The VX/TX depnding on the model are CWT/Seasonic or Chicony Power Technology

The HX are Seasonic upto 650W, after that is CWT.

The AX are Seasonic and some Flextronics.

Caporegime
Thats not correct either is it.

All Builder series (except the classic CX400W) are CWT.

All GS series are CWT.

The VX/TX depnding on the model are CWT/Seasonic or Chicony Power Technology

The HX are Seasonic upto 650W, after that is CWT.

The AX are Seasonic and some Flextronics.

So then why does everyone hype up Corsair because they use Seasonic parts when barely any of them do in reality?

Associate
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-003-XF&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1497

Built like a tank and 5 year warranty with registration. They are very quiet and you can feel and see the build quality. Puts my 700watt coolermaster to shame.

I did a lot of research and on a budget these are damn good. Head on over to hardware heaven for a full in depth review. They also have several other brands that they tested if you want to make a comparison.

Well I can. I've had 2 fail on me & both were HX series PSU's. So I've gone back to Seasonic because the last one I had is now 6 years old, been in at least 4 or 5 of my builds & its now going strong in my sister's rig.

I don't think you can win, I've had 2 of those XFX core die on me, the last on only lastest a few months. XFX RMA is pretty poor too, take about 4 weeks to resolve things.

I've just moved to a Corsair HX (gold) and have my latest XFX core in the loft for when the Corsair dies, at least this way i now have a spare!

Associate
OP
Kinda missing the <£69 point here thanks all. I'm sure the more expensive XFX/Corsair are wonderful but for at least until Xmas I have only £60 to spend and was looking for the best under that price cap.

Associate
OP
OcUK warned me off the tx550m as didn't reckon it was high enough for the msi gpu
instead got the cx600. I fancied the tx myself but thought due to all the issues i have had (see my other posts) i should go along with them so if it goes wrong it stays there poor show and can't be blamed on my own bad judgement.

thanks for all the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom