Need a new SSD - looking for fast 2TB, compatible with Asus Maximus Hero VIII

Soldato
Hi,

My current motherboard is an Asus Maximus Hero VIII.

The manual states compatibility on the M.2 slot as follows:

M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIEx4 and SATA Modes)

Would this NVMe SSD be compatible with this board?:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-3.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-23z-sa.html

I'm planning on moving the disk to a new build in the near future, hence I'm looking at fast performing M.2 NVMe.

Thanks

Soldato
The Samsung will be compatible. You’ll need to check the manual of the board and make sure the m.2 slot will do x4 pcie 3. If it doesn’t, the EVO Plus will still be compatible, but you’ll not get the full quoted read/write without a riser.

Associate
I have the 1 & 2TB versions installed in my H8 and both work perfectly. Make sure you remove the protective plastic covering on the thermal pads for the heat sink when you fit it.

Soldato
OP
Actually don't see M.2 heatsink coming with neither that mobo or drive.
(Samsung is just too poor for that...)
So don't think you need to worry about heatsink.

And you could have saved £100 by not paying Samsung tax.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-zp2000gm30021-hd-3bc-se.html
Heck, you could find PCIe v4.0 NVMe drives for cheaper than Samsung's (over)prices.

True, I thought about it for a long time whether to go cheaper, but I know Samsung make solid drives.... I have another Samsung SSD in my machine which I use heavily, and it's been faultless, and most likely will remain so. I made the decision base on both reviews and experience.

Associate
Actually don't see M.2 heatsink coming with neither that mobo or drive.
(Samsung is just too poor for that...)
So don't think you need to worry about heatsink.

And you could have saved £100 by not paying Samsung tax.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-zp2000gm30021-hd-3bc-se.html
Heck, you could find PCIe v4.0 NVMe drives for cheaper than Samsung's (over)prices.

My bad, confusing it with the Crosshair VIII Hero that I have, which does have heatsinks. As you say, they aren't needed for the Samsung drives, they apparently have thermal throttling built in as I found out when speaking with one of their techs recently.

Soldato
My bad, confusing it with the Crosshair VIII Hero that I have, which does have heatsinks. As you say, they aren't needed for the Samsung drives, they apparently have thermal throttling built in as I found out when speaking with one of their techs recently.
With all marketroids everywhere motherboard naming is nowadays total charlie foxtrot.
With more expensive boards even having often things worser than lower board because design by marketroids...

Likely all SSD controllers have thermal throttling built into them.
That's the part needing cooling in SSDs.
Not NAND, which would actually benefit from warmer temperature during writes.
(but holds data better when cooler)

Back
Top Bottom