Need a quiet case fan for my old Antec P182 case

Associate
A couple of my case fans are getting quite noisy and I'd like replacements. This is the case: http://www.antec.com/Html/Product/de/id_5%D9.html review here https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/Antec_P182_case_review/1/

Anyway it's ten years old and still decent enough to keep hold of. Thing is the fans have two cables - one for power and one for external fan speed control on the rear of the case. Can anyone suggest a very quiet case fan that has the external fan control cable? Fans are 120mm.

Soldato
Standard fans don't have any such speed control cables.
You need to use motherboard's control for fans, if it has decent one, or separate fan control panel which doesn't rely on software.

This should be good basic controller for fixed manually set speed.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lamptron-fc6-5.25-bay-fan-controller-black-bb-002-lp.html
That uses linear regulator instead of chopping voltage with PWM so won't cause unnecessary sounds from any fan.
Some controllers use chopping 12V with PWM as cheap and dirty voltage control for higher output power without sturdier/better cooled transistors/regulators.
(multiple fans in same channel or very high speed fans can draw considerable amount of power)

Then there are touch display ones:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-kaze-master-flat-ii-black-bb-019-sy.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lamptron-cw611-watercooling-controller-black-cm-047-lp.html

And as ultimate high end Aqua Computer's Aquaero is whole system capable to controlling air/water cooling independently from any software using its own microprocessor.
You can set own fan speed curves for increasing fan speed depending on temperature readings, or even calculated average of multiple sensors.
Versions with also physical control interface instead of relying on use of software to do settings just aren't cheap.
Just ordered myself one yesterday for improving fan control at low load use.
Should have really done that years ago considering I've been using two fixed manually set speed fan controllers.
(Lian Li PC-A71B case itself takes 6 fans without adding PCI cooling kit and counting in CPU HSF's fan)

Scythe SlipStream/Kaze Jyuni would be very good fan with smooth sound profile when used with controller:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-kaze-jyuni-1200rpm-slipstream-120mm-fan-fg-021-sy.html
Because of moving more air per RPM than most fans it needs lower speed than others.
Though as basic sleeve bearing fan it doesn't have long "service life" and wouldn't try running it in horizontal position. (top fan)
And might not be available that well outside what's in stock.

Arctic Cooling F12 (non-Pro) should be roughly similar quite nice for its price and have longer life bearing variant.

Soldato
bequiet 120MM are only 13dba :)
Do you also believe in Santa Claus and honest politicians?
Only thing to be trusted in fan specs is physical size and RPMs.

Because you never know if they measure sound from distance of room in next building on other side of road.
Adn then of course different RPMs affect to fan's noise level but also to its airflow capability.
Further affected by fan design, which also affects to airflow and especially pressure capability.
(like Noctua S12 being quiet because of not being truly able to push air)

Plain dB reading itself also can't even take into account how human hearing can pick up details from "sound mass".
Narrower frequency spikes and such just don't show in it well or resonances at some rpm.

Soldato
Do you also believe in Santa Claus and honest politicians?
Only thing to be trusted in fan specs is physical size and RPMs.

Because you never know if they measure sound from distance of room in next building on other side of road.
Adn then of course different RPMs affect to fan's noise level but also to its airflow capability.
Further affected by fan design, which also affects to airflow and especially pressure capability.
(like Noctua S12 being quiet because of not being truly able to push air)

Plain dB reading itself also can't even take into account how human hearing can pick up details from "sound mass".
Narrower frequency spikes and such just don't show in it well or resonances at some rpm.

i have personally tested over 12 Fan manfacturers i have 4 Boxes full of Fans, the Bequiet are one of the best for noise/Performance.

Noctua are good but they have can have a drone at high rpm.

i measure the DBa myself

Soldato
That's good if it's from known comparison.
And its design looks good for smooth sound signature.

Though grooves on surface of blades didn't improve Glide Stream's sound from Slip Stream...

Noctua are good but they have can have a drone at high rpm.
While construction quality is sure good wouldn't call much anything else in them as above mediocre.
F12 and P12 which come with heatsinks have major vibration likely coming from some darn "square bearing" which can be felt by turning fan by finger.
Instead of smooth rolling those "bumps" make fan constantly decelerate/accelerate in its rotation turning it into vibrating roller.

Also P12's hype notches cause kinda "distant propeller airplane" sound at some rpms.
And F12 has those "struts" aligning with trailing edge of fan blades causing "bumbs" to airflow separating from blades so can't call its sound signature exactly best.
Such sudden obstructions in airflow path are never good for noise.

Soldato
Antec sell the Two Cool fan as a retail product, OcUK do not list it but other retailers do in the UK. (same fan that is in your case)

Put this into google shopping "0-761345-75246-6" you will find it available for sale.

Back
Top Bottom