1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a recommendation for a quality office chair

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by IvanDobskey, 10 Sep 2021.

1. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Yeh, looks like I'll have to cough up for a herman Miller or something. I don't want to end up buying another one in a years time.

2. dLockers

Sgarrista

I found my Vitra Meda on eBay just by chance. Process is basically - search fancy name, set distance to 5miles, see what comes up. I think I paid £120 - brand new it was £2,499.

E.g. search Vitra, Herman Miller, Humanscale, SteelCase. Essentially office chairs that cost a fortune but have been put into storage for ages because they were surplus/office shut down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294372127943?hash=item4489f234c7:g:EeoAAOSwsOdhMMZ2

3. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Good advice, thanks. Should be plenty on the market really as so many offices have shut.

4. booyaka

Capodecina

If your spending that long in a chair, like me - 10/12 hours a day - 100% spend the money.

Bought herman miller aeron refurbished for £550 at the start of lockdown - fabulous. Coming from a solid Ikea Marcus, which was very good for 6/7 years, but the Marcus is not a patch on the Aeron.....

Spend the money, totally worth it.

5. Simon42

Hitman

I've tried Aerons, Leaps and Freedoms. The Aerons were poor for me, the Humanscale Freedom is great but the arm rests recline which was a deal breaker for me and the Leap ended up as my favourite.

I've bought three brand new ones to date for home use and when I need another I'll do the same.

6. DXP55

Soldato

I have a second hand HAG SoFi -- Had a very old HAG low back before that.

To me they are very good chairs especially after sitting in some at Staples.

7. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

8. MSTRBKR

Wise Guy

I will also throw the “Orangebox Do” chair into the mix. Always a few second hand ones on ebay. Love mine.

9. mid_gen

Capodecina

I don't get on with Aerons...I've never been a able to get them comfortable, and they are massive and heavy.

Been using a Steelcase Please V2 since lockdown started and it ticks every box. The best thing is the articulating lumbar support, so whether you are sat up straight, or reclining, the lower back area is really well supported. Smart looking, small footprint. Best chair I've ever used, and I've worked in a lot of well equipped offices!

Got mine refurbed from corporate spec.com.

10. gazref

Associate

Not sure on the rules for posting external links but there's a contractors forum with an extensive thread on office chairs would be worth a read. To echo what was said before Herman Miller and you cant go wrong. I got an embody back in 2010/2011 still going strong. Sold new they come with fantastic lengthy warranties so buy right buy once. Aeron is a classic go to. When big corp offices go bust or close you get used ones floating around at very affordable prices.

If I was buying now? I dont think the embody would be worth the extra over something like the Mirra 2. You can source them for 300ish used which is a no brainer to me.

11. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Looks like the Mirra can be had for £399 fully refurbished. Does that sound a good bet?

12. James Peach

Gangster

Herman Miller Cosm.
    if you can find one, I'd go and try them out.

13. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

14. gazref

Associate

yeah thats where I'd go with my money. Unless you like the gamer style chairs more hard to see what you'll get better for that money imo. Built to last so no qualms with refurbs. I broke one the arms once in a rage smash about 4 years in. Provided proof of purchase, they sent a guy up from midlands and he swapped it no bother. All fairly modular. Treated it nicer since and no other issues to report.

15. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Will probably go with a refurbished herman miller. I'm not a huge fan of gamer style chairs. Wondering what sort of standard they are likely to be refurbished to though.

16. fobose

Soldato

Herman miller mirra here. Wouldn't use anything else now. I've had mine for over 8 years and it was second hand when it was given to me.

17. dLockers

Sgarrista

Refurbishment standard really varies. Mine is a simple Vitra Meda and it came "as-is" but has been bullet proof. Almost 20 years old too!

[​IMG]

18. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Just ordered a brand new Mirra 2 with all the options for £650 delivered, happy with that :)

19. jpaul

Capodecina

no covid shortages, or, the reverse - where are they manufactured

Another home office improvement - especially if the company/chancellor are contributing, split the budget on a standing desk - obviate the chair.

20. SimonR

Hitman

Great chair, you will be more than happy with it.