Need advice in regards to flashing BIOS for new CPU Ryzen 5900X

Soldato
Hey all,

Presently I have a Ryzen 5 2600 and my motherboard is the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master. I received the Ryzen 5900X the other day so wanting to upgrade it.

Right now it is running on the F11 BIOS and wondering if I can update directly to the F31o one ? Also, which way is the best way to do it ? If I understand things right I can either do it while online, or download it to a flash drive and do it that way ?? Never done it before so really would appreciate some advice here !

Thank you for reading and a Merry Christmas to you all !

Soldato
Looking on the gigabyte site the description for each bios update does not state you need the previous one installed or need to be on a certain version first, copied from the site below.

all taken from here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf

F31o
1‎0.58 MB
2‎020/12/03
  1. Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.1.0.0 D
  2. Performance optimized on Ryzen 5000 series processors
  3. Add Re-size bar option for AMD Smart Access Memory support
  4. Improve connection stability for USB 2.0 ports of USB hub
F30
9‎.68 MB
2‎020/09/15
  1. Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.8.1 for AMD Ryzen 5000 processors support
F22
9‎.57 MB
2‎020/08/20
  1. Improve memory compatibility
F21
9‎.57 MB
2‎020/07/31
  1. Improve PCIe device compatibility
F20
9‎.60 MB
2‎020/07/10
  1. Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.0.2 for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen XT series processors and New Gen AMD Ryzen with Radeon Graphics processors support
  2. Fix AMD security vulnerabilities for SMM Callout Privilege Escalation
Taken from the manual
5-1-3 Using Q-Flash Plus

A. Before you use Q-Flash Plus, follow the steps below in sequence:

1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin. Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system.
3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel.
4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector.

B. Using Q-Flash Plus Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB flash drive on the white USB port. The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the LED will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.

• Before using the Q-Flash Plus function, make sure that your system is off (S5 shutdown state). • If your motherboard has a BIOS switch and a SB switch, reset them to their default settings. (Default setting for the BIOS switch: Boot from the main BIOS; default setting for the SB switch: Dual BIOS)
• After the main BIOS is flashed, the system will reboot automatically and then DualBIOS™ will continue to update the backup BIOS. After completion, the system will reboot again and boot from the main BIOS.
• Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will shut down upon completion.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you for your reply @ED209 , much appreciated !

Still not to sure about it, especially this:
4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector.
Is that in reference to the Motherboards power connector, which is already connected ?? Or do I have to re-connect anything ?

And since it says it can do the BIOS update without the CPU installed, should I remove my old CPU while doing the BIOS update ??

Soldato
Thank you for your reply @ED209 , much appreciated !

Still not to sure about it, especially this:

Is that in reference to the Motherboards power connector, which is already connected ?? Or do I have to re-connect anything ?

And since it says it can do the BIOS update without the CPU installed, should I remove my old CPU while doing the BIOS update ??

Step 4 seems to be referring to the 2 x 4 pin connecters on the top left and the 24 pin connecter.

It suggests connecting a power cable to either of the 2 x 4 pin connecters and the 24 pin connecter.

If you have the PC up and running already (with the 2600) then you should not need to do this as the PC is built, I think that section is referring to either new mobo out the box or a cpu that the current bios does not support with no other CPU to use.

Associate
There is a fair amount of bad press for the Windows BIOS updater for the Aorus Master so I wouldn’t use that method.

Download the file and upload it from a USB in the BIOS. I’d do this with your current build before you change the CPUs over as suggested above.

Soldato
OP
Alright, need some advice here. I flashed the BIOS to the latest version F31q, tried first with the Q-Flash Plus but that didn't work for me, even if it did flash for 3/4 minutes or so, but never restarted so waited 30 minute(ish) and when started PC it were still the old bios. Not sure why but that was what it was. Instead I used the Gigabyte software, @BIOS and did it that way, which worked fine, at least the MSINFO32 showed the BIOS as F31q. Then removed my 2600 and replaced it with the new 5900X. Started the PC.. and nothing happened. Motherboard showing error code 5A - which the manual tells me is a Internal CPU Error code. A quick google was not promising, seems it might be a busted CPU.. I'm now gonna try with the second latest BIOS, F30, and see if that works.

The reason is that when I used the Gigabyte @BIOS software, when doing it from their server, they showed the F30 bios, so I did it from the hard driver, where I already downloaded the F31q bios. So, thought it might be worth a try if that's what they showing if doing through their server. In anycase, posting this now incase it not working and you professional PC builders might be able to give some hints when I'm coming back. Or is it just to return it to the store ?

EDIT: That did not work either, so seems I be taking it back to the store tomorrow for them to test and see if it is busted or if it is my PC. At least my 2600 still working so there is that at least. :(:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hang on, you got a working CPU in that board, just download and unzip the bios into a usb stick and update the bios in bios. Why all these complicated stuff?

Soldato
OP
So, an update to this.

The store tested the CPU and was working fine. So took the motherboard to the store I bought it from (not same as the CPU) and turns out that was working fine as well. After a few times back and forth I was suggested to do a test with it all out of the case, so did that and.. all was working. Slightly confused now I put it back together again and that's when the dime dropped. I have a Deepcool Quadstellar case, which if you want to, have a separate area for your GPU, but it means that you have to use the PCIe raiser cable that come with the case. My 5700XT with the Ryzen 5 2600, it was working just fine. But the Ryzen 9 5900X wouldn't have it when using the raiser cable. Plugging the GPU directly into the motherboard and it's working as it should.

Probably something that most of you would have thought of removing if you been in my shoes but it never occurred to me until I was putting it all together again ! :o

Back
Top Bottom