Memory: 8GB DD3
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB
1 x SSD
3 x HDD's

I don't overclock any components.

PSU Calculator:

Load Wattage: 515 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 565 W

Should I go for 550W Gold rated? It needs to support future upgrade to i7 with 16GB of RAM and 1080 at some point, never going to run 2 GPU's. At the moment I have Be Quiet Pure Power L8-CM 430W (which served me well for 4 years) and with current GTX 1060 but I'm switching to GTX 980Ti which is more power hungry.

Price range up to £100 preferably less.

I don't wan't to spend too much if I don't have to
smile.gif

Thank you

Associate
OP
Man of Honour
A 550w psu will be more than enough, even with overclocking. The Superflower Leadex Gold 550w is on offer for £70 at the moment. It's a very good psu but be aware that there are bright white led's where you plug the cables in that cannot be turned off. There's also the 550w version of the Bitfenix Whisper M that Grimley suggested. These are new psu's that have been getting very good reviews and have a 7 year warranty. The one downside is for some reason they have made the 24pin plug massive. See here around 3/4 the way down the page. Apart from that they are very good units. There is also the XFX XTR 550w which is a Seasonic built unit with a 5 year warranty. After these we get into silly money for quality 550w psu's.

Associate
OP
A 550w psu will be more than enough, even with overclocking. The Superflower Leadex Gold 550w is on offer for £70 at the moment. It's a very good psu but be aware that there are bright white led's where you plug the cables in that cannot be turned off. There's also the 550w version of the Bitfenix Whisper M that Grimley suggested. These are new psu's that have been getting very good reviews and have a 7 year warranty. The one downside is for some reason they have made the 24pin plug massive. See here around 3/4 the way down the page. Apart from that they are very good units. There is also the XFX XTR 550w which is a Seasonic built unit with a 5 year warranty. After these we get into silly money for quality 550w psu's.

I'm actually trying to decide between Bitfenix Whisper M 550W and Super flower Leadex Gold 550W. I was suggested these two on the other forum, just wanted another opinion :) So which one would you recommend between those two?

Man of Honour
You can't go wrong with either really. Both have the full power available on the 12v rails. Both are quality gold rated modular units. In the Bitfenix's favour is the extra warranty at 7 years compared to the Superflowers 5 years. Against it is the huge 24 pin connector. The Superflower has a hybrid fan mode so the fan is off below a certain load/temp while the Bitfenix always has the fan on although it's a very quiet fan. The Superflower is also cheaper. Against the Superflower are those awful bright white leds that can't be turned off (fixed in the Leadex Gold II but that's a lot more money). There is also the possibility of difficulties arising when it comes to warranties on the Superflower as a couple of threads on here have shown. If I was forced to make a choice it would probably be the Bitfenix.

Associate
OP
You can't go wrong with either really. Both have the full power available on the 12v rails. Both are quality gold rated modular units. In the Bitfenix's favour is the extra warranty at 7 years compared to the Superflowers 5 years. Against it is the huge 24 pin connector. The Superflower has a hybrid fan mode so the fan is off below a certain load/temp while the Bitfenix always has the fan on although it's a very quiet fan. The Superflower is also cheaper. Against the Superflower are those awful bright white leds that can't be turned off (fixed in the Leadex Gold II but that's a lot more money). There is also the possibility of difficulties arising when it comes to warranties on the Superflower as a couple of threads on here have shown. If I was forced to make a choice it would probably be the Bitfenix.

Thanks for the reply, I also leaning more towards BF because it is newer model then SF and as you mentioned 2 more years of warranty and it's only £8 more.

Soldato
Just a quick thank you to OP and those who have contributed in this thread :)

Desperately needed a new PSU as mine died last night. Being very much out of the loop with PSU's, a quick look in this subforum made a decision very easy! (Went for the BF).

Associate
OP
Just a quick thank you to OP and those who have contributed in this thread :)

Desperately needed a new PSU as mine died last night. Being very much out of the loop with PSU's, a quick look in this subforum made a decision very easy! (Went for the BF).

Glad it helped you to make a decision. I was researching it for a week :) I'm also going for the BF, another upside it has multiple +12V rails compared to single on the SF.

Back
Top Bottom