Need advice on Gaming Rig again :)

Associate
Sorry to re-post, I think I posted in the wrong section before (Mods can delete previous post)

Hi Everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago asking for spec advice on a gaming PC for a friend at work which I followed, built and setup as per your advice and it's prefect, they love it :)

Now i have another friend at work who wants a Gaming PC for their child but they have a slightly different display specs and tighter budget so just want some advice.

They have a monitor which runs at 1920x1080@240 MAX
No specific game type mentioned but It's for a young teenager so I assuming they play fortnite type stuff
Needs Wifi connection
don't need mouse keyboard or headset
don't need Windows
Budget is £900ish

Any suggestions would be great,

let me know if you need anything else,

Cheers guys :)

Soldato
Sorry to re-post, I think I posted in the wrong section before (Mods can delete previous post)

Hi Everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago asking for spec advice on a gaming PC for a friend at work which I followed, built and setup as per your advice and it's prefect, they love it :)

Now i have another friend at work who wants a Gaming PC for their child but they have a slightly different display specs and tighter budget so just want some advice.

They have a monitor which runs at 1920x1080@240 MAX
No specific game type mentioned but It's for a young teenager so I assuming they play fortnite type stuff
Needs Wifi connection
don't need mouse keyboard or headset
don't need Windows
Budget is £900ish

Any suggestions would be great,

let me know if you need anything else,

Cheers guys :)

g-sync monitor ?

if so intel still wins at this resolution current for gaming - though £900 budget might not get the GPU Horse power and ryzen would be a smarter bet

Associate
OP
Hi mate, the model monitor is 27GK750F-B which is Freesync but G-Sync Compatible.

I was thinking AMD Ryzen 5 3600 as the CPU but not sure what GPU only that maybe an AMD for the freesync but I'm a Nvidia guy and don't know much about AMD cards :)

Associate
OP
Cheers for the heads up, you have confirmed what I was thinking. So I have come up with the below:

CPU: RYZEN 5 3600 SIX CORE 4.2GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX-
Case: CoolerMaster MasterBox MB520 RGB Midi Tower
Power Supply: FOCUS GX-650 650W 80+ GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz
GFX: Zotac GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER 8192MB GDDR6
SSD: WD BLUE 3D NAND 500GB 2.5" SATA 6GBPS SOLID STATE DRIVE
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo White - 2 x 120mm
Extra Case Fan: Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST Black Fan - 120mm

It's based off a previous build you guys helped me with and its a little over the 900 budget but I may be able to convince them.

Would you say this is ok?
Cheers

Soldato
Cheers for the heads up, you have confirmed what I was thinking. So I have come up with the below:

CPU: RYZEN 5 3600 SIX CORE 4.2GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX-
Case: CoolerMaster MasterBox MB520 RGB Midi Tower
Power Supply: FOCUS GX-650 650W 80+ GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz
GFX: Zotac GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER 8192MB GDDR6
SSD: WD BLUE 3D NAND 500GB 2.5" SATA 6GBPS SOLID STATE DRIVE
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo White - 2 x 120mm
Extra Case Fan: Arctic Cooling P12 PWM PST Black Fan - 120mm

It's based off a previous build you guys helped me with and its a little over the 900 budget but I may be able to convince them.

Would you say this is ok?
Cheers

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £903.23 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Soldato
Wifi is a very cheap add-on. Either a PCIe card or a USB 3 dongle.

OCUK have a large range here.

Total: £87.64 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Avoid the cards where the aerial plugs directly into the back of the card: you likely have a large chunk of metal - the PC - between the aerial and the router.

Associate
OP
Hey cheers guys for your help, lots of good suggestions,

So yea it seems if i want to keep with the MSI carbon then its worth sticking with what I had BUT I do like the Micro-ATX setup and I think the 5700XT you have there is better than the 2060 Super I had picked out.

So Ill think Ill go with OrbitalWalsh suggestion build and just add the wifi adapter that Quartz kindly suggested and see how it goes.

And I would always encourage parents to build PCs with their child but in this case my work colleague wouldn't have a clue where to start, not her thing at all :)

Cheers

Associate
OP
oh, another quick question, Is the stock cooler that comes with that CPU any good?

I usually buy an aftermarket one of some description to help with temps which is why I was going to get the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo. Not sure if I should still do that. :/

Cheers again

Soldato
oh, another quick question, Is the stock cooler that comes with that CPU any good?

I usually buy an aftermarket one of some description to help with temps which is why I was going to get the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo. Not sure if I should still do that. :/

Cheers again

its quite good! intel need to take notes! heatpipe design and works with full bank of ram too . being on 7nm node it runs quite cool too with less power draw.

itx console :) wifi and bluetooth inc

Total: £949.23 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Gigabytes Aorus is doing the Aorus RX 5700XT for the same price as the Gaming OC was before sale.... its 4 yr warranty after registration instead of 3. 3 slot design instead of 2.5 and its the coolest and quietest card on the market . Gaming OC isn't to far behind and the best average card (price vs performance and sound)

for extra £10... TAKE IT!

Total: £378.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Associate
OP
Hey cheers for the info, I've already placed the order now with your first listing which my work colleague really liked. I agree that for only what 9 pounds more the Aorus would off been a better option but I guess its too late now. I'm sure the Gaming OC will be fine though.

Cheers again for all your help :)

Soldato
Hey cheers for the info, I've already placed the order now with your first listing which my work colleague really liked. I agree that for only what 9 pounds more the Aorus would off been a better option but I guess its too late now. I'm sure the Gaming OC will be fine though.

Cheers again for all your help :)

just call them up if not dispatched :)

prob have to install wifi card in last Full PCIe slot, due to cooler being 2.5 slot design

Associate
OP
yea ill see if they want to switch to that card and if not dispatched by then ill call OC up and change over but they gone AWOL at the moment so they may miss out lol

They also went with the USB wifi adapter anyway so no problems there :)

Soldato
Whew, she got back to me and said DO IT!!

So I called Overclockers and got it changed over :) .. good find Orb :))

no worries, just dont forget to register the card for 4th yr UK RMA! meant to be 30 days, i did mine 6 months later lol. its human controlled and they arent as tight as zotac but yeah, soon as !

nice review here. Heatsink is a beast. 6 heatpipes - unfortunately AORUS AMD doesn't look as cool as Nvidia version with triple 100mm ARGB fans but there aren't the beast for cooling. All thats been ditched for keeping it simple but working . More surface area for the heatsink and good fan flow.

gaming oc version which was rated best price to performance model

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom