Need Advice on Leased Fibre Line or FTTPoD

Soldato
Right guys i have been with BT FTTC and im now with virgin vivid350.

Im going to cancel with virgin as there service is shocking for gamers, as in latency issues and packet loss.

Now i have price up a FTTPoD and that has come to £8800 plus vat for install with Cerberus plus the associated monthly payment for the 12mth contract.

Now i have been looking into leased lines as an option and have been quoted £220 pm plus vat (from Aspire) for a 100mb x 100mb service for 36mth contract with the option of price review after 24mth.

Now i only really use my service for gaming so what benefits would i be getting going to a leased/full fibre line compared to BT FTTC for instance ?

Thanks

Soldato
Is that FFTPoD quote an estimate pending the site survey or have you had that done already?

If your concern is just gaming then that's more latency dependent rather than bandwidth (other than the installs and patches) so why pay so much more than just going back to FTTC? What pings did you get from BT last time?

Caporegime
If you just play games then frankly you’re mental to get a leased line if FTTC is available and provides an acceptable service.

Caporegime
I mean if you are that into your gaming then get two FTTC lines, one with a service that gives you multiple public IP addresses and run without NAT and wire that directly to your PC and consoles or whatever with the Wi-Fi disabled, and then use a second service for your Netflix and phones, laptops etc. You'd save a fortune.

Soldato
Got to agree with @Caged Two or even three FTTC connections routed by something like a pfSense box is gong to yield snappy internet and gaming all over the home at much less of a cost than a leased line.

Soldato
OP
Never really thought about that and didnt think you could have 2 lines going into one property.

Yeah BT would be like £46 PM for each line so one or 2 connections sounds doable.

What is a pfSense box ?

Soldato
OP
I get around 70mb as my cabinet is round the corner and exchange is only down the road.

Im sure i should get full 80mb but my house is fed through a pole and when i had bt fitted last time the wire entering the house had been cut and he just used a black box thing and connected up to the existing cable.

I think if i got a full new cable from cab to house id get full speeds but they would never change it i dont think.

Caporegime
No reason to get FTTPoD or a leased line if you can get 70Mbps from an FTTC service and all you want it for is gaming.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Pings on FTTC are just about as good as it gets. I was seeing 6-8ms pings to bbc.co.uk and others over BT Infinity before switching to Hyperoptic, which is usually 1-2ms but the difference is not perceptible.

Some people think that Shroud and the like are good at games because they have expensive computers with 1Gbps connections. That is almost total crap - a good PC helps but a 30Mbps connection that is stable and has low latency is as good for gaming as FTTP.

Soldato
I get around 70mb as my cabinet is round the corner and exchange is only down the road.

Im sure i should get full 80mb but my house is fed through a pole and when i had bt fitted last time the wire entering the house had been cut and he just used a black box thing and connected up to the existing cable.

I think if i got a full new cable from cab to house id get full speeds but they would never change it i dont think.
Just go back to FTTC and be happy! If you’re line is a stable as you say then your ping will be low. Anything below 50ms is acceptable with gaming nowadays.

Be glad you’re one of the lucky ones that can achieve such speeds.

I’m stuck on VM because I can only get 15Mbps on FTTC.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys... Looks like im sticking with FTTC.

Just a quick one, someone (kids) pulled my cable out of my home (that is now dangling from the pole over the road) whilst out and bt are due to come and wondering if bt will just reconnect the cable or fit a new one ?
Is there anything i should be asking him to do or not to do ? Im sure i saw on here someone mention they didnt want jelly crimps or something along those lines.

Soldato
They'll do the minimum they can to get it working to an acceptable (in their opinion) level.

With the line as you describe they'll probably have to reschedule. One man in a van expecting a straightforward FTTC install isn't going to come equipped.

Vandalising your own line in hopes of getting a better one is ridiculous; I suppose that's Manchester for you :p.

Soldato
Thanks guys... Looks like im sticking with FTTC.

Just a quick one, someone (kids) pulled my cable out of my home (that is now dangling from the pole over the road) whilst out and bt are due to come and wondering if bt will just reconnect the cable or fit a new one ?
Is there anything i should be asking him to do or not to do ? Im sure i saw on here someone mention they didnt want jelly crimps or something along those lines.
How convenient...

Back
Top Bottom