Need help choosing a new laptop. Would you recommend yours?

Associate
Trying to choose a new laptop and I'll appreciate recommendations from actual users. Budget is under $2k.

I want a brand new Windows PC with great speakers, excellent display (15" to 16" with minimum 1080 resolution), 16GB RAM (or more), 500GB SDD (or more). Would be nice if it has a touchscreen but that's not a dealbreaker.

One thing that IS a dealbreaker is the fan noise. I need something that's absolutely silent most of the time except on the extremely rare occasion when I'm running a heavy task.

I'll mostly use the laptop for Browsing, Excel, Word Processing, and content consumption. There might be the occasional video editing but I already have another [much noisier] laptop for that. If I can get away with an internal GPU, I'll take it.

Games I need to play? Solitaire perhaps. And Sudoku. Or Monopoly, if I can find a good game.

It doesn't need to be thin, light or portable, and a 3-hour battery life would do just fine. It's going to be plugged in most of the time and I'd only unplug to connect with my TV for the occasional movie.

Speaking of TVs, I'll definitely need an HDMI port. USB-A and USB-C ports would also be nice.

Some models I'm looking at already include:
  • Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro 16
  • Lenovo ThinkPad E15
  • HP Envy x360 15
  • Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 15
If you own any one of these, please let me know what you love or hate about it. Again, I'm concerned about noise.

Only used Lenovo at work but they seem quite reliable. Plus the keyboards are lit. Speaking of keyboards, I need one that's backlit with a numpad. The numpad is a dealbreaker.

I'm open to most PC brands but I get the feeling (from speaking with friends who've used them) that HP laptops are not quite reliable. Any long-term HP user that's happy with their purchase should please correct this notion.

Associate
Trying to choose a new laptop and I'll appreciate recommendations from actual users. Budget is under $2k.

I want a brand new Windows PC with great speakers, excellent display (15" to 16" with minimum 1080 resolution), 16GB RAM (or more), 500GB SDD (or more). Would be nice if it has a touchscreen but that's not a dealbreaker.

One thing that IS a dealbreaker is the fan noise. I need something that's absolutely silent most of the time except on the extremely rare occasion when I'm running a heavy task.

I'll mostly use the laptop for Browsing, Excel, Word Processing, and content consumption. There might be the occasional video editing but I already have another [much noisier] laptop for that. If I can get away with an internal GPU, I'll take it.

Games I need to play? Solitaire perhaps. And Sudoku. Or Monopoly, if I can find a good game.

It doesn't need to be thin, light or portable, and a 3-hour battery life would do just fine. It's going to be plugged in most of the time and I'd only unplug to connect with my TV for the occasional movie.

Speaking of TVs, I'll definitely need an HDMI port. USB-A and USB-C ports would also be nice.

Some models I'm looking at already include:
  • Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro 16
  • Lenovo ThinkPad E15
  • HP Envy x360 15
  • Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 15
If you own any one of these, please let me know what you love or hate about it. Again, I'm concerned about noise.

Only used Lenovo at work but they seem quite reliable. Plus the keyboards are lit. Speaking of keyboards, I need one that's backlit with a numpad. The numpad is a dealbreaker.

I'm open to most PC brands but I get the feeling (from speaking with friends who've used them) that HP laptops are not quite reliable. Any long-term HP user that's happy with their purchase should please correct this notion.
Personally, I've never thought that choosing the right laptop is a tricky deal. There are a lot of laptops on the market right now but you have to pick the best one for your needs and budget. Thanx God, I found povverful which helps me to make an informed decision. You will find a bunch of information about laptops there. I sincerely recommend this site.

Man of Honour
I'm not a fan of a lot of more recent laptops :( they seem to include stuff like audio or network processing features as hardware with drivers which act in a malware like fashion i.e. cFos, Nahimic, etc. in most cases they are detrimental to the relevant hardware and best disabled anyway. Seems to be some common issues with Windows 10//11 and laptops lately which result in things like high DPC latency or maintenance tasks behaving incorrectly resulting in high idle CPU usage, etc. not insurmountable problems but take a lot of faffing around to resolve.

Caporegime
If you are just doing office stuff the fans shouldn't go on. My Legion 5 Pro is silent doing office tasks. That said my house isn't silent.

If you want truly quiet go for something that has no fan at all.
I've got the 5 Pro with the 5800H and it's quiet at idle but not silent and it doesn't take much to get the fans audible. The Intel version runs hotter iirc.

Associate
OP
Went for the LG Gram 16". It's the quietest laptop I've ever used. My office Lenovo sounds noisy compared to this.
Excellent touchscreen, HD, 16x10. Plus pen. Light as a feather and battery lasts forever.
The only cons are the speakers - simply horrid compared to my ASUS, and the keyboard - clicky and stiff compared to my Lenovo or even my ASUS ROG.
Aside those 2 things, I'm loving it.

Back
Top Bottom