Need help from Asrock 945G-DVI Owners!

Soldato
Hi all.

Having a problem with my Asrock Conroe 945G-DVI.

Sometimes when I boot up (around 50% of the time) the motherboard gets stuck at POST trying to detect my DVD-RW drive. I thought it was my iPod doing this, sa the BIOS was detecting it at boot as an external USB drive and for some reason, it put it at the top of my drives list, i.e it was trying to boot from it.

I've removed the iPod and the DVD drive is still playing up. Sometimes it will get into Vista, however obviously I can't use it.

I thought it was maybe because it's SATA, but it works fine half of the time, no problems at all.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions and/or any other 945G-DVI owners have had anything like this.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Hi,

Did changing the port fix the situation witht he DVD drive because I've just ordered the same board and DVD drive and now i'm a little concerned i'm going to have the same problem!???

Permabanned
Tute said:
Hi all.

Having a problem with my Asrock Conroe 945G-DVI.

Sometimes when I boot up (around 50% of the time) the motherboard gets stuck at POST trying to detect my DVD-RW drive. I thought it was my iPod doing this, sa the BIOS was detecting it at boot as an external USB drive and for some reason, it put it at the top of my drives list, i.e it was trying to boot from it.

I've removed the iPod and the DVD drive is still playing up. Sometimes it will get into Vista, however obviously I can't use it.

I thought it was maybe because it's SATA, but it works fine half of the time, no problems at all.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions and/or any other 945G-DVI owners have had anything like this.

Thanks in advance.

mmmmmm :confused: , me thinking have you changed the bios recently, then forgotten boot on system defaults

OR

I notice on your sig you are using GSkills 6400, I take it thats running PC5400 Speeds.

***EDIT*** I think I know what the problem is: Your setup according to your sig - Looks very Juicy, it might be your Hiper Modular PSU not providing enough juice, this happen with my past Hiper PSU. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
musx64 said:
mmmmmm :confused: , me thinking have you changed the bios recently, then forgotten boot on system defaults

OR

I notice on your sig you are using GSkills 6400, I take it thats running PC5400 Speeds.

***EDIT*** I think I know what the problem is: Your setup according to your sig - Looks very Juicy, it might be your Hiper Modular PSU not providing enough juice, this happen with my past Hiper PSU. Hope that helps.

Shopping list comprises one Corsair HX 620W... won't have the cash to buy for another fortnight though.

I did consider maybe i've accidently set it up to pull the Raptor, fans, and DVD drive off one rail, which i'm sure would upset the PSU.

Is there any way to tell which connectors go to which rail?

[Edit] E6600 is at stock, that is 266x10. So RAM is actually running PC4200 speeds, which it seems more than happy with. There's no Vram adjustment, so i'm running slack timings to make sure it doesn't complain of low voltage.

It's Orthos stable btw. Did a 48 hour test only last week.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And it's happened again.

Except this time I was in Vista, playing music, WMP crashed, and the drive disappeared from the explorer.

Bit worried about this tbh. :confused: :(

Permabanned
Im only guessing now, but can you try memory which runs stock @ 667speeds also stock E6600 should be @ 266 x9 Multiplier. What version of Bios are you running 1.30/4 or 5 ?

Try not going for modular PSU's.

Soldato
OP
Latest BIOS (1.60), and I meant 266x9, sorry. It's running stock basically, nothing's been changed.

It's only started since I fitted the DVD drive, could it be that my BIOS won't take SATA optical drives? In which case, why does it work fine sometimes and not others?

I've had it on all day playing music, been fine, no problems at all. Even did some gaming and still there was no problem.

Permabanned
try a parallel ata optical drive, or see if there any firmware updates for your current sata drives.

Oh Btw you might want to check if there are any limitations on the 945 chipset for sata optical drives - that might be a issue.

Soldato
OP
musx64 said:
try a parallel ata optical drive, or see if there any firmware updates for your current sata drives.

Oh Btw you might want to check if there are any limitations on the 945 chipset for sata optical drives - that might be a issue.

Doesn't do it with a PATA optical drive.

Using the latest drivers and BIOS.

How would I check if there are any limitations?

I really do think it's the PSU now. It just crashed Vista, again, and when I reset, the computer came on, and shut off, and came on, and shut off.

I had to press the power button 3 or 4 times to get it to power up.

Stupid Hiper POS. :mad:

Permabanned
Tute said:
Doesn't do it with a PATA optical drive.

Using the latest drivers and BIOS.

How would I check if there are any limitations?

I really do think it's the PSU now. It just crashed Vista, again, and when I reset, the computer came on, and shut off, and came on, and shut off.

I had to press the power button 3 or 4 times to get it to power up.

Stupid Hiper POS. :mad:

Try contacting Asrock about the limitations or goto

http://forums.ocworkbench.com/bbs/f-asrock-intel-boards-72.html/ or

change back to Parallel (old tech. but still works) :D

Back
Top Bottom