Need help hard wiring GPS to Lighter socket

Associate
OK so Iv had the idea that I want to hard wire my GPS to the lighter socket to save having the wire and big ass socket sticking out of the dash. Now Iv had a quick look about and it seems I shouldnt just cut of the end of my cable and tap it into the lighter wires as this provides 12v and most GPS's run on 5v or there abouts. I would howerver want it to cut power to the GPS once the ignition is off. Any thoughts? Thanks

Caporegime
Wire it to your switched (ignition) live instead, there will be one to the back of your stereo.

Also, instead of cutting the end off the cord, open the cigarette lighter end of the cable up, and solder on some tails to the +ve and -ve input of the circuit. Then connect these new tails to your ignition live, this saves you from having to try and reduce the voltage yourself.

Soldato
Is your fuse box internal or external? Do you have any spare connectors in it for Switched and Permanent live?

The S2000 has in internal box with points you can run cables off which makes life easy. Make sure you are using an appropriate in-line fuse if you are coming from such a position though.

Have you thought about 'hard' wiring by installing an out of sight lighter socket so you can continue to use regular lighter socket fitments?

Associate
OP
Have you thought about 'hard' wiring by installing an out of sight lighter socket so you can continue to use regular lighter socket fitments?

I have thought about that. As I would like to keep the standard socket. But I would be able to do that anyway would I not by doing what was suggested in the second post?

Last edited:
Permabanned
you will have a switched live and a ground for you radio, splice in to them. It will be easyest.

you could also wire it up to your permanent live but you would have to remember to switch it off all the time

Associate
OP
Just finished the hard wire. I just butchered the cig charger cable that came with the SatNav and tapped the wires into the cig lighter connector behind the console

Ran the cable through the side trim next to the clutch pedal

across the trim at the steering wheel

up the trim at the drivers door.

It works well. I cant get any pics up as I no longer have broadband and Im not uploading any pics with my phone:(

Back
Top Bottom