Need help with my first loop in a evolv X

Associate
Hello,

I would need your help for my first waterloop. I would be in a evolv x case.
I have right now a 9900k and a 1080ti.

I am planning to do my water loop in step : first the 9900k only with one rad.
Than when I change the 1080ti (with a 3080ti ?? ), I would put the new GPU in the loop and add an second radiator.

I am hesitating between 280 +420 or 360 + 360 radiator.
1) I am all about quiet, which one would be quieter ?
2) If I go for the 280 top + 420 front setup, should I put the 9900k with the 280 top or the 420 front ? I read that putting a front rad as intake could make my GPU hotter (until I put the new GPU in the loop). How bad is it ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Soldato
I've found the 140-based radiators to be more suitable for modern cases which default to having 140mm fans. So if you're starting from zero, get 140-based radiators. For the top rad, get a crossflow as it helps the routing around the case and probably bleeds easier.

So for your questions, 1) it's not the radiator that makes noise :) but the fans. So it's about buying fans that match the rads and generally, a 140mm fan moves more air for less noise than a 120mm fan. 2) if you plan on having two rads, do them now and then add the GPU to the existing loop. As for a front rad increasing internal case temps, yes, it will slightly but no more than having an air-cooled CPU.

FWIW, I cool a TitanX and a 1070 with a low-power CPU. The loop goes pump/res, TitanX, 1070, CPU, 280mm rad in roof, 280mm rad in front. The front rad is an intake, the top rad an exhaust. So the "hottest" (loop temperatures don't really work like this) part of the loop is the top rad exhausting upwards and then the already "cooler" water goes through the front rad.

Associate
OP
Thank for your advice, I think I will go with the 280 +420 and set both rad right away with the 9900k as you suggested.

For the top I am plannig to go with the Black Ice Nemesis GTS 280 X-Flow

But for the front 420 radiator, i am hesitating between those 3, (if the GTS 420 would fits I will have go with it, but only the LS fit's and I have no clue how it compare with the other 2 )

EK-CoolStream CE 420
XSPC XE420
Black Ice Nemesis LS 420

Which one should I go with ?

Soldato
Stick with a single manufacturer if you can as there are small differences that can otherwise be annoying. Like which screw size for the fans, or just the slight shade variation in colour. So if you want a Black Ice GTS in the roof why not another GTS in the front? Or if fit is a problem the LS (It seems to be the same dimensions as the GTS from what I can see.)

Associate
OP
The ouside of the GTS 420 is larger ( doesn't fit in the evolvx) than the LE 420. But both are only 30 thick.

The CE 420 is 45mm thick : I have read many time that HL rads perform better than EK rads.

I cannot find a test to compare them is the CE 420 more efficient because it's thicker ?

Soldato
Black Ice Nemesis rads are the dogs danglies. Forget the rest, the build quality and performance are in a league of their own - especially the GTR and GTX series.

If the 140mm doesn’t fit get the 120mm version. I’m prepared to bet the GTS 120mm version will outperform the vast majority of 140mm rads.

Pair with EK Vardar fans or GT1850’s if you can get them cheap enough and you’ll be golden :)

Associate
I am using the exact same combo as you, the 9900k and a 1080ti in the Evolv X case. My 9900k is overclocked to 5ghz and on 1 radiator, at full load, it doesn't get past 75c. I do have a second radiator in the case but it's not plumbed in until I get the 1080ti waterblock.

Front radiator is intake, and top radiator is exhaust. Both radiators are EK PE 360s using Vardar Evo fans.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your answer, so I will go with a XSPC EX420 as intake (sadely the HL LE 420 is to expensive to bring in my country, and I prefer 140 fan) in the front and a Black Ice Nemesis GTS 280mm X-Flow as exhaust ( for better tube routing).

One last question: is there any downside to put a crossflow and normal rad in the same loop ?

@Greg0986 what is you vcore to be stable at 5Ghz ?

Soldato
I see the rad sizes in the Evolv-X Manual are a bit stingy which rules out the Black Ice GTS range in both positions.
Top Rad:
140mm Radiators: A:405mm B:146mm C:65mm
120mm Radiators: A:405mm B:126mm C:65mm*
Front Rad:
A:465mm B:148mm C:95mm

Also I've found motherboard components get in they way abit as well on the top rad (currently using an AIO).

I see in another thread, someone is using an Alphacool ST30 X-Flow 280mm RAD in the top and that looks perfect height wise and leaves just enough room for a 30-36mm 420 RAD at the front with a few mm left over between the two with fittings/tubing taking into account.
That also just left enough room for the usual D5/Reservoir EK Combo between front RAD and motherboard..

The biggest issue I've found is a rad at the top height wise if you use normal height fans, the max RAD I can fit is 32mm (my current 28mm AIO rad + fans has just a few mm of clearance) with my motherboard.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 360 GTR in the top of my Evolv X and have zero clearance issues as the install height of my RAM is less then 57mm as per the specs in the manual. The 360 GTR is a beast no need for a second rad

Associate
There is a build on PCPartPickers that has a 420 GTS in the front and a 280gts in the top.

Guessing the 420 does actually fit?

Back
Top Bottom