• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need new Graphics card for Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard

Associate
Hi Gents,

Upgrading to Windows 10 this weekend has resulted in having a few video playback issues. I can play all my video files (HD video h264 encoded etc). Strange issue is that videos recorded on my iPhone 6 are choppy using VLC, media play etc. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes the issue!

I think this is probably down to microsoft and AMD dropping support for ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics cards.

I've been out of the PC building loop since 2007 and need some help finding decent graphics card that is supported by windows 10. I mainly use this PC for light photo editing, browsing, no modern games. The only games I play are retro games (Emulators and ROMs) with the exception of Kingpin Life of Crime lol.

MOBO: Abit IP35 Pro
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3850
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6700 2.66Ghz
RAM: 8GB RAM - G.Skill DDR2
PSU: Corsair HX520W
O/S: Windows 10 64bit
Resolution: 1920 x 1200

My mainboard has the following expansion slots if that is of any use. I've seen cards that are PCIe 2.0 but not sure what that means and don't want to end up buying the wrong card.

2 PCIe x16 (1 - x16, 1 - x4 electrical)
1 PCIe x1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am not sure of the video playback issues you are having but the GTX 1030 is more than enough for your needs, but i would not be willing to pay more the £40-£50 for one. Just not worth £79

see if you can find a used one and whatever you do don't buy one on certain auction site claiming to be from china and for very cheap. Its a scam.

Also used GTX750Ti should also do what you want.

Even GT730 would do just video playback and light emulator gaming. I would wait to see what others suggest in regards to specific video playback issues as I am not sure on those.

Caporegime
I noticed crap video playback on my laptop which has old ATI graphics once I updated to Windows 10, I rolled it back to XP out of curiosity (with the relevant XP drivers) and the playback was fine again.

It looks like there’s no current upto date Win10 drivers for older ATI chipsets I’ve got mine working of a fashion using Win 7 X64 drivers but it’s somewhat flaky - annoying because I use my laptop solely for watching films in my truck....

Once you upgrade to a relatively new card your problem will disappear I’d bet.

As said, a used 1030 or similar around £50 will suit your needs. :)

Associate
OP
Thank you gents. I will shop around for a GT 1030. I have found a few which say 'OC Edition.' Is it the same product? What is different about the OC Edition? Ability to overclock it?

Soldato
Thank you gents. I will shop around for a GT 1030. I have found a few which say 'OC Edition.' Is it the same product? What is different about the OC Edition? Ability to overclock it?
If you are buying a GT1030, be VERY careful and NOT to buy the DDR4 version of the card. It is literally like less than half the performance of the GDDR5 version, despite bearing the same "GT1030" name (thanks Nvidia...)

And to answer your question, OC-Edition probably just mean the cards come with a slightly higher factory clock speed on the core and possibly memory than the default spec of the 1030.

Associate
OP
If you are buying a GT1030, be VERY careful and NOT to buy the DDR4 version of the card. It is literally like less than half the performance of the GDDR5 version, despite bearing the same "GT1030" name (thanks Nvidia...)

And to answer your question, OC-Edition probably just mean the cards come with a slightly higher factory clock speed on the core and possibly memory than the default spec of the 1030.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did wonder about that too. How do I distinguish from the GDDR4 and GDDR5 versions? Also I use DDR2 RAM on my mainboard, will my performance be limited by my mainboard?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I had the same issue with a HD4850 (no official Windows 10 driver, just Microsoft one).

A fix is to download the newest Windows 8 driver, then manually install it.

Soldato
see my edited post - you need to install using compatability mode..

Also, download the drivers in my first link as I may have put the wrong version(I think my first link wasn't the legacy drivers before).

Try this legacy driver: https://archive.org/details/amd_catalyst_13.4_legacy_beta_vista_win7_win8

and use this method to install: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...340-4894-4ec1-bb33-8b51fd98f371?page=2&auth=1

I would link to AMD but they have now removed them. If you want to look for your own they are call the catalyst 13.1 win7/win8 legacy drivers. Whilst they are not for windows 10, I have used these for older cards.

Soldato
Thanks for pointing that out. I did wonder about that too. How do I distinguish from the GDDR4 and GDDR5 versions? Also I use DDR2 RAM on my mainboard, will my performance be limited by my mainboard?
If you just be very careful and read the product page and look under DRAM or memory, make sure it says "GDDR5" rather than "DDR4" memory it should be fine.

As for DDR2 system memory it wouldn't be much of an issue, and important thing is to have sufficient of them (which 8GB you have is still more than plenty, as long as you are not gaming and running Chrome with like 30 tabs opened or torrent at the same time).

My mainboard has the following expansion slots if that is of any use. I've seen cards that are PCIe 2.0 but not sure what that means and don't want to end up buying the wrong card.

2 PCIe x16 (1 - x16, 1 - x4 electrical)
1 PCIe x1
I would be actually be more concern with your motherboard being the ancient Abit and with the company has gone under a long long time ago and have much older bios and drivers even comparing to boards of other manufacturer of that gen. Lots of the ancient motherboard actually need a bios update to the latest version in order to even detect some of the more modern graphic cards (an Abit don't have such thing as they were long dead). There's a good likeliness that the GT1030...or modern graphic cards in general may not work with your motherboard.

I would advise if you do want go down the path of getting a modern graphic card to use on your current system, you'd best getting it from a place where returning item would not cost you paying out of your pocket if it did turn out incompatible.

Soldato
it probably wont be in to your best interests, but for the price of even the cheapest new priced gt 1030 you could buy an older system or main parts that are still newer than your system with a gpu that would be more updated.

Associate
OP
see my edited post - you need to install using compatability mode..

Also, download the drivers in my first link as I may have put the wrong version(I think my first link wasn't the legacy drivers before).

Tried the legacy driver. Same results. It largely works but the issue is with playback for some of my videos.

it probably wont be in to your best interests, but for the price of even the cheapest new priced gt 1030 you could buy an older system or main parts that are still newer than your system with a gpu that would be more updated.

I take your point about my mainboard being quite old and unsupported. The card is PCIe 3.0 however I think the x16 slot on my mainboard is only PCIe 1.0. Can a PCIe 3.0 card work on PCIe 1.0?

The Geforce GT 1030 is still a fairly new card. For what I need to do my system is still a fairly decent runner. I don't want to change mainboard at this stage purely for the graphics card. When the time comes to do an upgrade I will most likely build a new mid-range system.

Perhaps someone can recommend an older card that will work with my current mainboard. A card newer than my ATI Radeon 3850 but older than the GT 1030.

Cheers

Soldato
Tried the legacy driver. Same results. It largely works but the issue is with playback for some of my videos.

I take your point about my mainboard being quite old and unsupported. The card is PCIe 3.0 however I think the x16 slot on my mainboard is only PCIe 1.0. Can a PCIe 3.0 card work on PCIe 1.0?

The Geforce GT 1030 is still a fairly new card. For what I need to do my system is still a fairly decent runner. I don't want to change mainboard at this stage purely for the graphics card. When the time comes to do an upgrade I will most likely build a new mid-range system.

Perhaps someone can recommend an older card that will work with my current mainboard. A card newer than my ATI Radeon 3850 but older than the GT 1030.

Cheers

The problem is that AMD have discontinued updates and drivers for the old legacy stuff. I know that my ATI 6990 no longer does cross fire support on AMD newest drivers and that card is from about 2011. I think just take the risk with a GTX 1030 just make sure you buy the GDDR5 model as stated earlier and if it does not work just send it back. You might get lucky and not have much issues. Aother issues could be your motherboard is so old and no more new bios updates are made by the manufacturer and in your case ABIT is gone( such a shame loved their boards)

and yes a PCie3 card will work in PCIe 1.0 slot they are backward compatible like USB3,2,1 ect but you will be bandwidth limited not that a GT 1030 could ever achieve such things.

have you tried compiling your videos in different format?

I was going to suggest loading Windows Media player classic the full version and trying that.
Download something called K-lite Codec and give that a try it has windows media player classic bundled with it with varous codecs ect ect.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice mate.

The videos played fine in win7 however to get to play correctly in win10 I have to disable hardware acceleration in VLC player.

Soldato
Hi Gents,

Upgrading to Windows 10 this weekend has resulted in having a few video playback issues. I can play all my video files (HD video h264 encoded etc). Strange issue is that videos recorded on my iPhone 6 are choppy using VLC, media play etc. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes the issue!

Actually its funny you say that. I've noticed videos I have taken recently on my Samsung A5 are playing choppy in VLC. I just took it as they are very long high quality videos. I just tried playing them in Windows Media player and they play smooth, same with Adobe Premiere. Its just in VLC they stutter and pixelate a bit. I`m on latest VLC too. Windows 10 1803.

Soldato
no point going lower than dx 11 for the sake of costs, plenty of better graphic cards on the used market better than a 9600gt and has dx11 support and better driver support, the cards dont even have to be gaming oriented, i recently got rid of a gtx 650 and a & 660 both ran spot on under windows 10 etx, the 650 cost £20, 660 £40, not suggesting get one, but it was more an indication for running under windows 10, ran video and games just fine too.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice mate.

The videos played fine in win7 however to get to play correctly in win10 I have to disable hardware acceleration in VLC player.

It wont hurt to try Windows Media player classic with K-lite codec, you never know it might just work and save you money.

Media player classic is better than VLC player in some instances.

Associate
OP
It wont hurt to try Windows Media player classic with K-lite codec, you never know it might just work and save you money.

Media player classic is better than VLC player in some instances.

I tried that also as I suspected it may have been the codecs first however I get the same result. Again, disabling hardware acceleration resolves the issue.

Back
Top Bottom