Need some euro cylinder lock advise pls

Associate
Just looking to replace my front door lock with something more secure but not too expensive. I've fitted a Yale superior high security lock to the back door (the key type with dimples and grooves).

Are these Yale cylinder lock's ok? I've read the Avocet are better but double the price.

Soldato
Secure against what?
Most Yale style locks can be picked open, bumped or outright bypassed in seconds, with the right kit and a couple of instructional videos off the internet... dimple locks included, although they're better than the usual pin tumbler style.

You typically get what you pay for, IMO.
Much of that is resistance against drilling and snapping and general breakage.
Burglars will look for weaker points, though, so pay attention to windows and any other doors, too.

Soldato
So a dimple lock would be more secure than a pin tumbler style? It has a 1 star TS007 rating whereas the Avocet has a 3 star rating
Better generally, yes, depending on price. A top quality pin lock may well be better than a cheapy dimple one, though.

Put it this way - I bought a top end chain and padlock for my motorcycle. Scored top marks on all the Thatcham tests and all the others, every magazine (back when we had printed words!) was raving about it, yadda yadda. It's still highly rated even today and will guard against most theft attacks... but I can still open it in under three seconds with a paperclip.

As mentioned, most burglars will look for other ways in, so it depends on what you want to guard against. You can have the best lock in the world, but it counts for tosh if your hinges are rusty old cack and the door frame is rotted wood...

Not meaning to cause you any undue worry or anything, but if they want in that badly, they'll get in, even if they have to crowbar the door in or smash your windows. All you can do is hold them up and make it more hassle than it's worth, so they go find an easier target... like spiteful Mrs Mangel at No 16 who left her window wide open!!

Just get the best you can afford.
Perhaps consider an 'anti-bump' model - These are more bump-resistant and usually more snap/drill/force resistant too. Yale do some reasonable ones around the £20-25 mark.

Soldato
After a bit of research I bought 2 of the yale superior model cylinders that you mention.

Picked them for a mix of value and quality and ability to get them matched .

They have most the features of that benchmar avocet lock and are a good price.

They are a world apart from my previous locks when you see them side by side ! Just the fact they are recognisable and anti bump/pick/snap will deter many Imo.

Don
Last edited:
Soldato
The trouble is there really is no point in getting less than the best. Even ABS locks can be broken with an ABS kit you can buy online for £20.

I ended up getting the Ultion locks.

If you're going to replace euro-cylinders, a £30 lock is the same weaknesses as a £3 sadly, that snap point right in the middle.

those escutcheons above are awesome. Ordering.

Edit: Honestly there isn't a perfect system. You just have to make yourself a bigger PITA than your neighbours; and dont present an easy target.

Associate
I wouldn't get too hung up on the type of cylinder.
My brother had Avocet ABS locks on his conservatory door, the scrotes just picked up a rock from the garden and put it through the glass :mad:

Soldato
I went for Ultion locks too after buying a Yale 3 star cylinder that wouldn't work in my door - it kept binding up. I didn't know until I'd forked out for additional keys though. Grr.

Soldato
Can anyone with Ultion locks give me a ball-park figure for pricing, please? They seem like the right balance of performance and security, but I have no idea of what they ought to cost!

Associate
Can anyone with Ultion locks give me a ball-park figure for pricing, please? They seem like the right balance of performance and security, but I have no idea of what they ought to cost!

About 6 months ago i bought 5 ultion locks, 2 with thumb turns, all keyed alike with 5 keys in total for £258.55 in various sizes

Associate
I kind of work in the industry (centor bifold doors) and spoke to the commercial director of ultion just earlier today !

I've had the sales pitch from him and to be fair I don't think the Ultion can be beaten at all in terms of security. The guy who designed the Ultion lock also came up with the ORIGINAL anti snap lock whilst working for Yale, so you are in very safe hands with them!

They are 3* star rated which in their own right means they don't need to be used with a 2* rated security escutcheon (this is where anti snap comes in, you cant snap a lock as easily with a security escutcheon as you cant get mole grips round it, however a screw can still be used to manipulate the cylinder and still snap it!)
They are sold secure with a diamond rating which is the highest accreditation that can be achieved in the UK

They also guarantee the following:

"If an intruder breaks into your home by snapping Ultion we'll pay you £1000".

I quote him lol....

"The Sold Secure test is far more representative of a real world attack. I have some videos (think I showed you one) of some PAS24 approved TS007 3 Star cylinders being defeated in under 20 seconds using basic tools that are not allowed in either the PAS or TS test"

So basically a yale 3* lock is still able to be beaten by snapping but the Ultion is not, it could in theory be picked by a master locksmith but this is still unlikely as it would take considerable time, still doenst stop a brick through the window though!

Soldato
Although even the Avocet ABS can probably be picked now (seen YouTube videos) they are still 100% more secure than your average cheapo euro cylinder lock. That and a strong door and making your property appear harder to break into will make the burglars move along the street.

What I find ironic is all the local window/door installers round here seem to use these cheap MB euro cylinders that cost about £2 from Screwfix that start to stick up in winter. Even when they are advertising and selling "high security" doors.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the reality is - make the lock hard enough and they just try another entry method.

Ultimately if someone wants in, unless you have no windows, they'll just break a window.

At the point whereby I live somewhere so dodgy a standard fit lock isn't strong enough, it's time to look at moving somewhere safer.

IMO if you are that concerned, just add a deterrent that makes more noise than a neighbours house (Alarm/dog/both).

Soldato
But you can apply that logic to anything. If you've got windows, why bother having a front door?

For the sake of a couple hundred quid, why wouldn't you make yourself a less appealing target than someone else on your street?

Absolute bargain if you ask me. If the majority of crime is opportunistic, take away the easy opportunity.

Soldato
No you can't apply that logic because you're making an extreme case in your argument and framing it as if I'm making an extreme case.

When I say the burglar doesn't HAVE to deal with a lock I'm talking about as you say, spending a couple of hundred quid upgrading your lock from standard.

...and then someone is able to open the door anyway without having to touch the lock at all because the door or doorframe is inferior.

Or as people have said several times. Breaking glass in a door or window to gain entry is trivial.

So there is a lot of point in not splashing out for the "best" lock when you know your existing lock isn't even the easiest way to get in.

Associate
No you can't apply that logic because you're making an extreme case in your argument and framing it as if I'm making an extreme case.

When I say the burglar doesn't HAVE to deal with a lock I'm talking about as you say, spending a couple of hundred quid upgrading your lock from standard.

...and then someone is able to open the door anyway without having to touch the lock at all because the door or doorframe is inferior.

Or as people have said several times. Breaking glass in a door or window to gain entry is trivial.

So there is a lot of point in not splashing out for the "best" lock when you know your existing lock isn't even the easiest way to get in.

I also subscribe to this way of thinking, its not really much hassle to break the windows in a set of french doors. The only reason I did replace the locks with ultions was we moved into a new house and I knew a lot of people in the previous owners family had keys for it, also its nice to have 1 key for every door :p.

Back
Top Bottom