Need some help with a setup / headset advice

Associate
I'm looking to get some advice on the best way to solve this problem I'm having and what equipment would be best for me.

I currently have 2 monitors linked to my PC and in order to avoid girlfriend aggro I play tv shows / films on my second monitor whilst I'm playing games so the misses doesn't get too bored watching me play.

Recently I've joined a fairly active raiding guild in star wars so I need to be on teamspeak in order to communicate and I much prefer using a headset to do this but obviously the major drawback with this is my better half can't watch anything because there's no sound going from the speakers.

I have a xonar sound card which my speakers are plugged in to and at the moment I just plug the headset into the control panel for the speakers which diverts the audio.

What I'm looking to do is get a better headset (currently using some £10 jobby from tesco) and set up my PC so the sound from my media player / firefox is playing through the speakers but the game sound is coming through my headset.

If one of you wise folks could give me some help with this you'd have my eternal gratitude!

Soldato
There are two ways of doing this. One would be to connect the headset to either Xonar or onboard audio, and the speakers to the other. Set Windows sound to default as whichever the speakers are connected to, and set in game options to output via the other, whichever the headset is connected to. Most modern games allow this.

The other option, which may depend if you can run onboard audio at the same time as the Xonar. Some people had to disable onboard audio, when installing a sound card, so it probably depends on the motherboard.

If you can't use onboard audio as well as the Xonar, then the other option would be get a USB headset. Connect the speakers to the Xonar, and set the game to use the USB headset.

Associate
OP
I'll have a tinker with the settings when I get home with the onboard audio, I thought something like this might be possible.

With regards to a USB headset do you guys have any recommendations? Anything up to £100 should be fine as long as it's worth the money!

Back
Top Bottom