need some speaker setup help

Soldato
i have some kef q55's which sound terrible since the first day i had them.

i bought them as my bro has some q35's and they sound amazing and i thought i'd get the next ones up hoping they would be even better.

for music there is basically no bass at all yet for movies they rumble the whole house.

i'm using decent cabling which is QED silver anniversary which cost me £100, my amp is a sony STR-DB 940 which is more than up to the job of running them.

my front room where i have them is about 22 foot by 15 foot a perfect rectangle with no alcoves etc, i have tried placing them all over the room but the sound rarely gets better.

the same can be applied to my sub - Yamaha YST-SW300, i can sit in one part of the room and the bass is over powering but if i sit somewhere else its like its not even turned on.

what i need is something or some way to get the sound to fill the room instead of being directed in one direction and then killing itself off but that seems impossible to do as i have moved them everywhere.

anyone got any ideas?

Associate
Sounds like problems with standing waves.

To find the best place for the sub try the following.

You have already said that you can tell the difference where the sub is so the best way is to place the sub in your listening posistion. Then get on your hands and knees and crawl around the room. You should hear the bass get louder and softer and find the spot that you are most happy with. Put the sub in that spot and it should be in about the right spot for your room.

You should also check the settings on the amp to make sure you are directing bass to the front speakers and that they are set to Large, if they are set to small they dont get the full amount of bass sent to them.

Soldato
OP
yeah thats it, standing waves. i did read up on it and figured thats what was killing my bass.

i'll try that idea about the sub, probably look quite funny if someone walked in and saw me :D

my amp is already set for large speakers, if i turn the subwoofer option off on the amp so the speakers get 100% of the bass they still sound more or less the same.

my sister in law's mother works for the guy who owns www.avforums.com and he has his garage kitted out as a home theater and he uses some sort of panels on his walls that disperse the sound around the room so it sounds the same no matter where you sit, i tried to make something similar but again they seem to do nothing for me :(

Back
Top Bottom