need sum protein

Associate
hey, i am joing fitness first next week and gonna get sum protein on order, what is best for just building muscle not got much body fat and want to keep it down so no fatty meals so i think protein would help, am i correct?
If so what type would you advise?
also where to get it from any good places with good deals ATM ?

dont want to spend much more than 15quid if poss but can go over if needed.

cheers for all help guys.

Soldato
young lad said:
hey, i am joing fitness first next week and gonna get sum protein on order, what is best for just building muscle not got much body fat and want to keep it down so no fatty meals so i think protein would help, am i correct?
If so what type would you advise?
also where to get it from any good places with good deals ATM ?

dont want to spend much more than 15quid if poss but can go over if needed.

cheers for all help guys.
How old are you, how long have you been training? What are your goals?

Fatty meals are good for you, it's sugary carbs you need to avoid ;)

Associate
OP
Chong Warrior said:
How old are you, how long have you been training? What are your goals?

Fatty meals are good for you, it's sugary carbs you need to avoid ;)

i am 15 almost 16 and been going to the gym since christmas, i want to keep a low body fat % and also gain muscle i am running most mornings to keep the body fat low but the muscle is now taking a lot longer to build up which is ok but i want to get to a good level before i go on holiday in august.

hope that helps, cheers

Soldato
I started training when I was younger than you. The most important thing at your age is to make sure you're doing any exercises correctly, so get your form checked out by someone who knows what they're doing.

Don't bother with supplements just yet, you don't need them, especially at your age. Get your diet right with plenty of fruit, veg, meat, eggs, milk, cheese, fish, etc.

Also don't make the mistake of cutting fats out of your diet, from the posts you've made I get the impression you think fats are bad and make you fat? Truth is they don't but if taken with loads of carbs, then they will. Fats are essential to hormone production (that includes testosterone!) without them things don't run smoothly.

Also have a read of the sticky at the top of this forum ;)

Associate
OP
cheers chong thanks for you help i did think fatty meals where bad but if you say there ok if its not all just fat you eat and eat a balanced diet then its ok.

Thanks again people.

Caporegime
building on what has been said already. make sure your form is perfect, you are setting yourself a potentially great base to work from when you are older (both mentally and physically). go wrong now and you could have a life of physical issues ahead of you

Soldato
Personal opinion or the belief that it'll be bad for him at that age I would guess.

If done correctly, there is absoloutely nothing wrong with it.

Man of Honour
Styles said:
Personal opinion or the belief that it'll be bad for him at that age I would guess.
Bingo.

Styles said:
There is no correctly. Bulking at that age is wrong. It'll pressure certain areas of the body too much and cause problems in later life.

Too much of anything is bad at that age - impact cardio, extensive/incorrect weights sessions... you can do some real damage.

Soldato
Styles said:

Which is exactly it. My dad's a doctor and he is extremely anti-going to the gym now because of all the teenagers he has seen who have done themselves serious damage from going to the gym at a very young age. One guy started when he was 12 and now has completely stunted his growth. At such a young age the human body is still developing and is not designed to go through the process of bulking up. The fact is though a lot of younger kids don't actually do things properly.

Soldato
He's almost 16, there is nothing wrong with it.

No offense to the poster above, but in my experience during lifting, doctors know jack about this sort of thing. If you do things correctly going to the gym and working out has huge benefits and he is at a perfect age.

Gilly, you clearly believe everything you read. Learn to question sometimes. I could recite old wifes tales about lifting and sports all day long, but the truth is most are just not true.

Soldato
How can doctors know jack when they spend their time helping people who have caused serious long term damage to themselves from working out at the gym at an age too early? It annoys me when people say "Doctors don't know anything" when Doctors are the people who see the result day in/day out! In any sort of gym work or sport, regardless of age, there is always going to be a health risk and there's always a chance you could hurt yourself. That chance is much larger with younger people who have not finished growing.

It's common sense. If you start bulking up before you've finished developing then it can't be good. The fact is, a lot of younger people don't even have a clue what they're doing, and end up operating gym machinery dangerously. I'm sure if that person sees a personal trainer then they'd be fine, but I'd say developing bodies are much more susceptible to long term damage through the misuse of machinery.

Soldato
The common point is misuse. If ANYONE doesn't use gym machinery correctly then they are going to hurt themselves. If you use it correctly then there is no problem. With every activity or sport there is risk of injury, young or old. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the lad beginining to train at this age. Bulking up? It just means he'll be eating more, what's wrong with that?

In my experience, doctors do often know jack. That's just how it is for me. They give bad advice, and generally do not know what they're talking about regarding weight lifting matters. They never have, and they never will do.

Soldato
They didn't train as personal trainers, but they have an extremely detailed knowledge on muscles in general, and as I said, see the results of people who haven't been using equipment correctly.

I don't understand how you can't see that launching yourself in a tough regime of weights when you haven't even fully developed is a bad idea. Some 16 year olds are still quite small.

Last edited:
Soldato
Styles said:
In my experience, doctors do often know jack. That's just how it is for me. They give bad advice, and generally do not know what they're talking about regarding weight lifting matters. They never have, and they never will do.

I'm with Styles on this one (although I wouldn't have been so blunt ;)). I'm very good friends with a couple of doctors and time after time they tell me going to the gym is going to leave me crippled in later life. While I fully appreciate that the training process to become a doctor is lengthy and covers a whole range of topics they cannot know everything. Remember - an expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less!! ;)

To counter the point about doctors seeing the negative results everyday, let me ask you this, when was the last time you went to the doctor to show them your perfectly functioning joints or to boast about how well your lungs were functioning. The point, if you've not already guessed, is that doctors (generally) only see people that have something wrong with them. I'm not belittling the job that doctors do, we'd be a lot worse off without them and I commend them for making the choices they have to help others but to suggest that they are infallible is a little naive.

$loth said:
Chong, how tall are you?

IIRC he's 6 foot, the same height as me and i didn't start training till i was 21/22. We're both from the north west so received similar grim northern upbringings :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom