Need to Bank Transfer. No Name Given.

Associate
I'm needing to bank transfer a large amount of money (but less than £10k) to a friend's mother but all I've been given was a sort code and account number. They've gone off on holiday now and in a rush forgot to give me the name of the account holder.

I'm heading to the bank on Monday, will I need to give a name to complete the transfer?

TIA

Soldato
I've never needed an account name. Sort code and account number was enough.

Halifax I would assume the other banks would be the same.

Soldato
I've never needed an account name. Sort code and account number was enough.

Halifax I would assume the other banks would be the same.

Remember the old precaution.

Transfer £1, ensure it has been received, then transfer the rest.

E-Banking and the AC no/sort no thing scares the crap out of me, there is no feedback to confirm where you are sending the money. If it ends up in the wrong account I understand it can be remarkably difficult to get it back!

Although it is a system that I find myself using more and more, the security of it sucks! :(

Soldato
Remember the old precaution.

Transfer £1, ensure it has been received, then transfer the rest.

E-Banking and the AC no/sort no thing scares the crap out of me, there is no feedback to confirm where you are sending the money. If it ends up in the wrong account I understand it can be remarkably difficult to get it back!

Although it is a system that I find myself using more and more, the security of it sucks! :(

I've never transfer money without seeing the Acc/sort myself I also insist on seeing the screen that the clerks typed it in on to make sure it matches.

I've been extra careful ever since the money ended up in the wrong account when despite confirming it twice with the clerk they'd typed it in wrong :mad:. Thankfully the person who recieved it didn't dispute it so got my money back. Would have been a substantial loss.

Man of Honour
When I've transferred money for buying stuff on the members market I had to put a name in. However, the name doesn't have to have any connection to the account I'm transferring the money to. It's just a required field for the machines in Barclay's banks. I could put "Wiggypuss the Eternal Wizard" and it would be fine.

Associate
Isn't the name just to identify that set of details to you, when you are selecting them from the hundreds of other account details you've got?!

Back
Top Bottom