Need to verify age to watch some Youtube videos

Associate
Yep, the internet was much better before the sheep found it and it became fashionable :/

It was never created for advertising and corporate BS. The infrastructure and code it's built on is intentionally designed to prevent it being controlled. I'm hoping before Tim Berners-Lee etc. dies, they update it to **** them all over :D

The problem is it is being controlled now. Web hosts routinely nuke 'darkweb' content, never mind lamebook, ******* and crappit removing everything they deem slightly offensive, and even police and the law now getting involved in monitoring whatever is said online.

Soldato
The problem is it is being controlled now. Web hosts routinely nuke 'darkweb' content, never mind lamebook, ******* and crappit removing everything they deem slightly offensive, and even police and the law now getting involved in monitoring whatever is said online.

But the system allows the darkweb to exist. It's seperate branch from the internet which is only accessable over TOR. They can try to block it but they can't really.

Caporegime
yea police getting involved because of "hate crimes" or whatever when it's fairly mundane stuff internets a joke.

How did people become so fragile... was it all the "winning doesn't matter, taking part counts, here's a badge?" "oh your so special, everyone is special" crap they started in schools in the 00s

Man of Honour
Well, guess what.

Just got it now to try and watch this doom video.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...he-3080-discuss.18897519/reply?quote=34848051

Handing google credit card info for this, ironically they already have my credit card store on their file for play store.

It is annoying - my oldest account is a fully verified account but it wants me to go through one of those again while my google account just lets me view the video fine. But I'm usually logged in on the older account. I understand the need for age verification but the whole way it has been handled is a bit meh and generally getting pretty fed up with YT lately seems some approaches lately are by someone(s) with their head firmly up their behind.

Given my accounts are linked why can't I just view it on this account without going through it all again?

EDIT: Actually I guess as it is a brand account multiple people potentially can have access to it who might not be of appropriate age :s

Soldato
Just been getting this recently as well.... it's just not going to happen, they have my dob, they have a debit card linked (might be out of date now) to my account for android purchases too, so they could use that... I don't have any credit cards.

There isn't a chance in hell I'm giving them my drivers license or a passport where there is a photo, just for a video, that's for sure... they track enough about us as it is and I've been very careful to minimise my 'personal info' online.... as far as I know I have zero photo's of me online.

Caporegime
There isn't a chance in hell I'm giving them my drivers license or a passport where there is a photo, just for a video, that's for sure... they track enough about us as it is and I've been very careful to minimise my 'personal info' online.... as far as I know I have zero photo's of me online.
they can want more than a passport btw.

like the NHS app if you want to verify your identity then they also ask for a 5 second video with you speaking whatever numbers your told.

I guess AI and not people are verifying but it's still weird, especially with the power of deep fakes coming along.

I hope every video is instantly deleted

Soldato
I guess AI and not people are verifying but it's still weird, especially with the power of deep fakes coming along.

I hope every video is instantly deleted
Cynical side of me....I'm sure they'll say the video is 'instantly' deleted, but before that they'll generate a 'numerical reference' (think heat map and relative positioning etc) to your face for future reference etc, so that when another photo pops up they can then analyse that in the same way and link the 'numerical reference' to a specific profile for advertising.

Caporegime
Cynical side of me....I'm sure they'll say the video is 'instantly' deleted, but before that they'll generate a 'numerical reference' (think heat map and relative positioning etc) to your face for future reference etc, so that when another photo pops up they can then analyse that in the same way and link the 'numerical reference' to a specific profile for advertising.
I guess we should worry when your walking along the street and the billboards are personalised as you walk past.

Soldato
I guess we should worry when your walking along the street and the billboards are personalised as you walk past.
I doubt we're far away in all honesty... either that or the billboards will start sending 'adverts' to your phones as you walk past, google and apple both have their versions of 'tracking lost phones' so it's not much of a leap sadly.

Man of Honour
I doubt we're far away in all honesty... either that or the billboards will start sending 'adverts' to your phones as you walk past, google and apple both have their versions of 'tracking lost phones' so it's not much of a leap sadly.

Already exists to a degree - there are people trying to use Bluetooth marketing to send stuff to passing phones/devices - some of them seem to be using some kind of broadcast device which uses non-standard (possibly illegal) transmit power levels and a sloppy implementation of the BT standard.

Soldato
I don't really get how it works for some and not for others. Maybe browser related?

Firefox is me.
It will be IP related, not a browser issue. They will know where you're from using your IP, as to why some get blocked and some don't, maybe Google's geo-ip database isn't that accurate, but that would surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom