Need to verify age to watch some Youtube videos

Soldato
It only asks me to sign in and i set age restictions to off and watch whatever i want on youtube.

Never have i had to give any ID or anything else ever and i have been using youtube for longer than i remember

Man of Honour
It only asks me to sign in and i set age restictions to off and watch whatever i want on youtube.

Never have i had to give any ID or anything else ever and i have been using youtube for longer than i remember

That's because you've had an account with them for that long. Opening an account now requires you to give Google your phone number, ID, proof of age...whatever helps Google in their neverending quest to know everything about everybody.

Soldato
That's because you've had an account with them for that long. Opening an account now requires you to give Google your phone number, ID, proof of age...whatever helps Google in their neverending quest to know everything about everybody.

Ah i see. I did notice recently Facebook are demanding a Mobile number and i dont have one so cant use their website properly for that reason. Its rediculous,

Associate
Well that's bizarre. My account is from 2006, it's a verified account and is asked for age verification.
Bizarre, not sure what algorithm they're going on then.
There are some sites offering temporary/throwaway phone numbers :)
A separate throwaway phone number is best. I'd be sure none of those sites work as the numbers have been used so many times before.

Associate
I considered just buying a burner phone and a random sim from a shop and binning them afterwards. £20, tops. But I decided I don't care enough about "like, comment and subscribe" on Youtube. Not even £20 worth of caring.
Indeed however they are other uses for burner numbers. Creating email accounts,etc. Saying that though if you have an android phone Google already know all of your phone numbers anyhow.

Man of Honour
Indeed however they are other uses for burner numbers. Creating email accounts,etc. [..]

I pay for my email, so I am a customer rather than a product. I have an old AOL email address I still use because I can't be bothered to find everywhere I registered with it and change them, but I didn't need a phone number for that. It predates widespread use of mobile phones and the rise of routine mass surveillance, so it's from a different age.

Saying that though if you have an android phone Google already know all of your phone numbers anyhow.

One of the (many) reasons why I don't have an android phone. Or any "smart" phone. Or any "smart" anything. I think it's not smart to make it as easy as possible for as many organisations as possible to spy on you as much as possible purely for their own benefit.

Associate
I pay for my email, so I am a customer rather than a product. I have an old AOL email address I still use because I can't be bothered to find everywhere I registered with it and change them, but I didn't need a phone number for that. It predates widespread use of mobile phones and the rise of routine mass surveillance, so it's from a different age.

One of the (many) reasons why I don't have an android phone. Or any "smart" phone. Or any "smart" anything. I think it's not smart to make it as easy as possible for as many organisations as possible to spy on you as much as possible purely for their own benefit.
I didn't know AOL were still around. I agree and as much as I'd like to give it all up and BOY WOULD I. Having a smartphone is basically the internet and an office in my pocket. I used to only use Apple, but we're sick and tired of the restrictions, the main reason I moved away from iPhones is because of them breaking sometimes seemingly for no reason. My last iPhone was in for repair twice in a year due to screen problems. Android are not as restrictionless as they once were, although are a great deal better when it comes to restrictions on IOS.

V F

V F

Soldato
I didn't know AOL were still around. I agree and as much as I'd like to give it all up and BOY WOULD I. Having a smartphone is basically the internet and an office in my pocket. I used to only use Apple, but we're sick and tired of the restrictions, the main reason I moved away from iPhones is because of them breaking sometimes seemingly for no reason. My last iPhone was in for repair twice in a year due to screen problems. Android are not as restrictionless as they once were, although are a great deal better when it comes to restrictions on IOS.

Funny in that aspect it made me think of the Tom Hanks movie then read the first comment.

"This movie only makes me wonder if this is what the internet should have been like before all the crap started leaking on it. I actually miss this simple time of lives that was the nineties"

Associate
Since when did you have to send them your credit card details or send images of a passport, driving licence etc. etc. to Youtube in order to watch a video?

EMuSPSI.png

The answer to your question is not entirely clear. One would assume that YouTube content regulators would remove a video for which a simple age verification did not suffice I.e. crude content taken from the dark web.
However they ask for a credit card/passport or photo ID for these videos which they say can take up to 3 days.
I can only assume this measure is taken for videos that don't fit in the categories of age restricted sexual content or illegal crimes, but contain highly disturbing themes presented in an informative and professional manner.
... I know this as I have had the same experience with YouTube.

Sleep well and don't have nightmares.

Caporegime
I've had my Google account since 2004, and now I'm being asked for age verification on some videos. Do they think I am the same age as my account or something? It's stupid.

Back
Top Bottom