• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
All games I've tested. Almost no issues in WOT but it's only 1 game. I'll test more games.
I have this issue in the GOG version of the Witcher 3, just to let you know that you're not alone. This game stutters severely no matter what I do. Also, GTA 5 stutters somewhat if I use MSAA otherwise it's fine. Subnautica stutters badly after a few minutes too.

For you to cross reference, here are some games that work well for me: Kingdom Come Deliverance is totally fine, Prey which also uses Cryengine is okay as well and BF1 is fine barring two issues:
1. a random big stutter that happens sometimes
2. the standby memory bug that results in severe stuttering when standby memory is almost full(exclusive to Windows 10 and can be fixed by clearing standby memory using RAMMAP).

Assassin's Creed Origins is also fine, some game engines work much better than others on my system.

I've also noticed that the more games I play in a session the more likely a game that usually works fine is to stutter. For example, if I've played a few different games then load into Kingdom Come deliverance it will often stutter for a bit when turning the camera for the first time. This does not happen if I play Kingdom Come Deliverance immediately after booting the PC.

I haven't found a solution yet, but I will do a clean install of Windows 10 Spring Creators Update when that comes out and see whether that improves things.

I have:
an I7 [email protected]
32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR 4 dual-ranked RAM
Gigabyte X99 SOC (changed from faulty Asus Sabertooth without clean install of Windows, these problems were present with this motherboard too)
Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz Gsync monitor
Corsair 1000W RMi PSU
Primary M2 NVME SSD (Samsung SM961 512GB) + 2 secondary Sata SSDs (256GB Samsung 840 Pro and 256GB Crucial M4)
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have this issue in the GOG version of the Witcher 3, just to let you know that you're not alone. This game stutters severely no matter what I do. Also, GTA 5 stutters somewhat if I use MSAA otherwise it's fine. Subnautica stutters badly after a few minutes too.

For you to cross reference, here are some games that work well for me: Kingdom Come Deliverance is totally fine, Prey which also uses Cryengine is okay as well and BF1 is fine barring two issues:
1. a random big stutter that happens sometimes
2. the standby memory bug that results in severe stuttering when standby memory is almost full(exclusive to Windows 10 and can be fixed by clearing standby memory using RAMMAP).

Assassin's Creed Origins is also fine, some game engines work much better than others on my system.

I've also noticed that the more games I play in a session the more likely a game that usually works fine is to stutter. For example, if I've played a few different games then load into Kingdom Come deliverance it will often stutter for a bit when turning the camera for the first time. This does not happen if I play Kingdom Come Deliverance immediately after booting the PC.

I haven't found a solution yet, but I will do a clean install of Windows 10 Spring Creators Update when that comes out and see whether that improves things.

I have:
an I7 [email protected]
32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR 4 dual-ranked RAM
Gigabyte X99 SOC (changed from faulty Asus Sabertooth without clean install of Windows, these problems were present with this motherboard too)
Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium
Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 144Hz Gsync monitor
Corsair 1000W RMi PSU
Primary M2 NVME SSD (Samsung SM961 512GB) + 2 secondary Sata SSDs (256GB Samsung 840 Pro and 256GB Crucial M4)
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Oh, I also have GOG version of Witcher 3. Maybe is something with game seller?
What tweaks help you a bit or reduce stutter?

Soldato
Oh, I also have GOG version of Witcher 3. Maybe is something with game seller?
What tweaks help you a bit or reduce stutter?
You can try disabling the Gog overlay; this has helped some people with stutter in the Witcher 3, but not me. There are no tweaks I can recommend beyond keeping a clean system and not having anything unnecessary running in the background. If temperatures are okay then everything should work out of the box without issue.

Have you changed Nvidia control panel settings? Maybe try setting them to default. Just noticed you have monitor technology set to fixed refresh which disables Gsync also setting Lod bias to Clamp does nothing on cards that are newer than the GTX 200 series.

Can you use GPU-Z to check the BIOS version on your card? https://www.techpowerup.com/download/gpu-z/

Edit: Sorry, you've already got the latest VBIOS so don't worry.

Last edited:
Soldato
Noticed that your M.2_1 configuration in the UEFI is set to Sata when it should be PCIE, what speeds are you getting with this drive? I know you reset BIOS settings to default but could you disable XMP manually and verify that your RAM is running at 2133 MHz and test then?

Associate
OP
Noticed that your M.2_1 configuration in the UEFI is set to Sata when it should be PCIE, what speeds are you getting with this drive? I know you reset BIOS settings to default but could you disable XMP manually and verify that your RAM is running at 2133 MHz and test then?
Nope, my M.2 SSD 960 EVO plugged into the M.2_2 port which runs in PCIE mode at X4 speed. Read speed - 3,250 MB/s, Write speed - 1,650 MB/s.
No issues with it.

There's no matter in which mode M.2_1 operates.

Soldato
Nope, my M.2 SSD 960 EVO plugged into the M.2_2 port which runs in PCIE mode at X4 speed. Read speed - 3,250 MB/s, Write speed - 1,650 MB/s.
No issues with it.

There's no matter in which mode M.2_1 operates.
Okay, that's good to know. Have you tested with XMP disabled and RAM running at 2133 MHZ? Also, have you set Nvidia control panel to default?

Associate
do you have any pci/e devices plugged in, used to get similar issues with an old asus sound card, insane latency spikes which caused huge fps drops, had to swap to some low latency drivers made by someone i cant recall the name of, however in the end i ditched the card and all the problems went away.

Associate
OP
That seems to be an unbelievably low amount of RAM you have there for a modern rig.

Are you able to check how much memory you have whilst you run those games? It may be running short and resorting to using the page file. That can cause chopping too.

I would try to use in game FPS locks at 140 FPS if possible. If not use DSR to bring them down g-sync isn’t pretty over 141 FPS. Also turn off fair works in Witcher 3.

At such low resolution The CPU is under high load because it can't keep the GPU supplied fast enough.

AT 800*600 your 1080Ti is basically doing nothing.

Whack everything on full settings, load up gtav get ingame, alt tab out then go back into the game, see if that helps

The GPU always produces the graphics. On low resolutions the GPU can draw the frame quicker than the CPU can send it, so it's waiting for the CPU all the time. At higher resolutions, it takes longer and longer for the GPU to draw the frame so the CPU doesn't have to work as hard, as it's waiting for the GPU to finish before sending the next frame.

HDAudBus.sys is generating a ridiculously large number of ISRs (more than 20x as many as my system over a similar period)... I reckon it's your audio drivers.

Are you sure you're not just expecting too much from your hardware?

@1440P with a 1080Ti this review on Toms Hardware reckons you'll average about 100fps with drops as low as 70fps in GTAV. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-3.html

Well I don't know what to suggest other than trying an AMD graphics card temporarily as some on the Nvidia forum said they switched to AMD and their stuttering went away.

do you have any pci/e devices plugged in, used to get similar issues with an old asus sound card, insane latency spikes which caused huge fps drops, had to swap to some low latency drivers made by someone i cant recall the name of, however in the end i ditched the card and all the problems went away.

UPDATE 4

I did all the suggestions from HOWIEJC troubleshooting guide, but it wasn't helpful in anyway.

I did the following actions:
UEFI:
- Install 1301 update and cleaned CMOS
- Customize fans curve and disable unnecessary EXT FANS
- Disable FastBoot
- Set X4 speed for PCIE3_3 and M.2_2 slots
- Set XMP 3,200 MHz
- Disable TurboBoost, SpeedShift/SpeedStep, C-states, Spread Spectrum and ASUS MultiCore Enhancement
- Set "Sync All Cores" to [37]

Windows:
- Completely reinstall Windows 7 and change to Ultimate SP1 version
- Install all drivers
- Disable Windows Update, Defender and Firewall
- Set High Performance Mode
- Set Windows Timer Resolution to 0.5ms with TimerTool and did all tests with it been enabled in the tray
- Disable Core Parking & Frequency Scaling with ParkControl form BitSum
- Set almost ALL (except of Intel SMBUS A2A3) PCI devices to use MSI instead of traditional IRQ channels - Set mouse polling to 1,000 MHz

NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Set Max Pre-Rendered Frames to "1"
- Set Prefer Max Performance (even tried Optimal Power as you said in some of your posts)
- Set Threaded Optimization to "ON"
- Disable G-\VSync and AA

MSI Afterburner:
- Completely reinstall it
- Check and correct all AB settings to have the perfect config

Games:
- Do tests with MAXIMUM and MINIMUM possible graphics settings (TLDR: wasn't helpful)
- Change render quality
- Change screen resolution to MAX and MIN

Settings and games logs in Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 with no updates:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJw9FySD7Hw4sAGckB8cqjWYJLCqyxv9

Can you help me with any working advice?

Because I'm completely disappointed about these issues on the TOP ~5K$ RIG. =(
I really want to know what is the culprit, software or what worse — hardware. And how I can figure out the source of all this c**p?

P.S.
1. Have you any similar issue on your PC? If yes, how are you get rid of issues on your rig? Do you removed stuttering completely?
2. What are the most valuable tweaks for your PC?
3. Do you notice issues after set UEFI and Windows settings to default?
4. Do you play and have any issues in PUBG, CS:GO or games that I've tested?
5. Does Steam (running in the tray) affect games performance?
6. Is it better to run games without Steam if possible or there are no noticeable changes?

P.S. 2
I'll retest games with 43 or 47 CPU multiplier and TurboBoost enabled.

Soldato
UPDATE 4

I did all the suggestions from HOWIEJC troubleshooting guide, but it wasn't helpful in anyway.

I did the following actions:
UEFI:
- Install 1301 update and cleaned CMOS
- Customize fans curve and disable unnecessary EXT FANS
- Disable FastBoot
- Set X4 speed for PCIE3_3 and M.2_2 slots
- Set XMP 3,200 MHz
- Disable TurboBoost, SpeedShift/SpeedStep, C-states, Spread Spectrum and ASUS MultiCore Enhancement
- Set "Sync All Cores" to [37]

Windows:
- Completely reinstall Windows 7 and change to Ultimate SP1 version
- Install all drivers
- Disable Windows Update, Defender and Firewall
- Set High Performance Mode
- Set Windows Timer Resolution to 0.5ms with TimerTool and did all tests with it been enabled in the tray
- Disable Core Parking & Frequency Scaling with ParkControl form BitSum
- Set almost ALL (except of Intel SMBUS A2A3) PCI devices to use MSI instead of traditional IRQ channels - Set mouse polling to 1,000 MHz

NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Set Max Pre-Rendered Frames to "1"
- Set Prefer Max Performance (even tried Optimal Power as you said in some of your posts)
- Set Threaded Optimization to "ON"
- Disable G-\VSync and AA

MSI Afterburner:
- Completely reinstall it
- Check and correct all AB settings to have the perfect config

Games:
- Do tests with MAXIMUM and MINIMUM possible graphics settings (TLDR: wasn't helpful)
- Change render quality
- Change screen resolution to MAX and MIN

Settings and games logs in Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 with no updates:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJw9FySD7Hw4sAGckB8cqjWYJLCqyxv9

Can you help me with any working advice?

Because I'm completely disappointed about these issues on the TOP ~5K$ RIG. =(
I really want to know what is the culprit, software or what worse — hardware. And how I can figure out the source of all this c**p?

P.S.
1. Have you any similar issue on your PC? If yes, how are you get rid of issues on your rig? Do you removed stuttering completely?
2. What are the most valuable tweaks for your PC?
3. Do you notice issues after set UEFI and Windows settings to default?
4. Do you play and have any issues in PUBG, CS:GO or games that I've tested?
5. Does Steam (running in the tray) affect games performance?
6. Is it better to run games without Steam if possible or there are no noticeable changes?

P.S. 2
I'll retest games with 43 or 47 CPU multiplier and TurboBoost enabled.
Did you try the AMD 7700? Because I didn't see it in your list, I might have missed it though.

Associate
OP
Did you try the AMD 7700? Because I didn't see it in your list, I might have missed it though.
Now, when I have no working fixes, I'll try new monitor and AMD GPU. Will post results.
But, I think it'll helpful because I've already tested games on Intel's U630 Graphics with GTX 1080 Ti physically UNPLUGGED and issue wasn't solved.
Do you have any other powerful tweaks to resolve this problem?

Soldato
Now, when I have no working fixes, I'll try new monitor and AMD GPU. Will post results.
But, I think it'll helpful because I've already tested games on Intel's U630 Graphics with GTX 1080 Ti physically UNPLUGGED and issue wasn't solved.
Do you have any other powerful tweaks to resolve this problem?
Let me know. I haven't got any more tweaks unfortunately.

Associate
OP
Let me know. I haven't got any more tweaks unfortunately.
P.S.
I tried to test WOT 1.0 on my laptop with NVIDIA 920M. Have noticed huge and frequent frame time spikes but in some period of time, not constant. Overall WOT frame time is good for my lap. Tried to test on MIN possible settings to see FPS difference. So, I can't count my laptop as start-point testing device because of it's "weakness" and age (3 years).

Soldato
P.S.
I tried to test WOT 1.0 on my laptop with NVIDIA 920M. Have noticed huge and frequent frame time spikes but in some period of time, not constant. Overall WOT frame time is good for my lap. Tried to test on MIN possible settings to see FPS difference. So, I can't count my laptop as start-point testing device because of it's "weakness" and age (3 years).
When you test with your 7700 you'll probably have to lower resolution to 720P not just settings to get a high frame rate. It should be much more powerful than the 920M in your laptop though.

Back
Top Bottom