Neighbour fence issue

Soldato
OP
Need a fence drama update :D
Ha - Well it's still there, going to be removing the panels this weekend. Then going to have the neighbour confirm they are happy to wait a few weeks for the guys who put it in to come back and remove the posts.

Fortunately we already have the same guys coming back to fit a new side gate we have on order, and to replace 3 old panels in the fence at the rear around an old substation thats against one of our boundaries. Just going to be a few weeks until they are free unfortunately.

Latest neighbour news is that they are thinking about selling the house - it's not due to the fence issue, they want to downsize (I think they'd be sane to leave the fence if really selling - will not look good with nothing there!).

I said earlier I had a feeling the change of heart was in regards a potential issue on sale (potential boundary dispute)

Why not say to them you could both agree in writing that the fence should stay and you will engage with the new owners if they sell.
Then you offer the new owners the same deal, leave fence, remove fence, or they can replace at their own cost

People coming to view wont know about the 1.5" so they wont feel they have lost it, they bought it and viewed it where it is now. Once later on they find out the vast vast majority of reasonable people will go "nah leave it there"

Soldato
OP
I said earlier I had a feeling the change of heart was in regards a potential issue on sale (potential boundary dispute)

Why not say to them you could both agree in writing that the fence should stay and you will engage with the new owners if they sell.
Then you offer the new owners the same deal, leave fence, remove fence, or they can replace at their own cost

People coming to view wont know about the 1.5" so they wont feel they have lost it, they bought it and viewed it where it is now. Once later on they find out the vast vast majority of reasonable people will go "nah leave it there"
Have already spoken to them about this, offered to do anything needed to ensure no issue at sale such as selling them the fence, having some paperwork drawn up etc. They are not interested and only appear open to moving it as part of it all unfortunately.

Soldato
Thanks for the update and I hope they do move as they sound like total morons in my view. I do not want a lovely new fence thanks :confused:

Hopefully your fence guys wont charge you to much as they can probably reuse the panels.

Associate
maybe it's the risk of something coming up on a survey that is spooking them and hindering the sale of the house. That's fair enough although I'm not sure if it's something that would be picked up at all on any sort of survey so they are probably just being a bit panicky.

Nice fence BTW.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice all

its inches not feet! :)

This pic shows how much the fence needs moving by. After the move the fence post would be an inch or two to the left so its edge lines up with the edge of the brick work if that makes sense.

XgJhWwV.jpg
Move your nice fence over onto your side and screw coloured pallets to the back of the fence that faces your neighbours property :p:p:p

gYge9c1.png

Associate
Have only just read this thread. And wow. I'd probably store the panels myself then wait for new owners. Though i liked the chicken wire suggestion, that made me laugh. Proper council house level :p

Soldato
OP is being so much nicer than I would.
Maybe I'm old and grumpy, but they just seem to be annoying for no reason and that would wind me up no end.

Soldato
If you hadn't asked them and just built it on their side of the boundary I'd be on their side.

But you did ask them, and the fence looks good. I think you're in the right OP.

Survey will show boundary line at fence but not down to the inch, doubt if they sold that it would ever be picked up.

Associate
If you hadn't asked them and just built it on their side of the boundary I'd be on their side.

But you did ask them, and the fence looks good. I think you're in the right OP.

Survey will show boundary line at fence but not down to the inch, doubt if they sold that it would ever be picked up.

I reckon as well due to the fence being left of centre on the brick column (towards your side), a surveyor would likely make the assumption that it's on your side and actually to the favour of the neighbouring house (i.e. a fence owned fully by you and erected on your land, with the boundary actually being the neighbours face of the fence, rather than the centre of the new fence posts).

Back
Top Bottom