Neighbours - Am I being unresonable?

Associate
i HATE hearing music through the walls. it drives me insane and i think he has every right to tell you to shut up if he can hear it. buy headphones if its not loud enough for you

Soldato
He just sounds like a total faggot mate - next time he bangs the wall, turn it up even louder :D

Or everytime he bangs the wall, you bang his girlfriend :p

Associate
Buy headphones. Get some big muffly ones that keep your ears warm in winter. Everyone wins.

Oh and remember to pound the No Swearing out of that wall when you hear him giving his misses one.

Permabanned
There is no way I'd stoop to wearing headphones just to appease some numpty neighbour. What's the point in paying good money for a decent sound system and speakers only then to ruin the musical clarity by listening to it through a pair of mufflers?

Soldato
Im in the same situation but on the other side of it, me and my fiancee both age of 20 have to put up with noise from the flat (they seem to be around the age of 30-40) above all the time and have only lived in our flat for 2months now (which reminds me mortgage payment goes out in 2 days :( )

sent them 2 polite notes to ask them to turn it down, both times they did but onyl for about a week then started up again, complained to the management company and they sent a notice round to say that the noise was getting too much and that they would get a council guy round if it continues to check for noise pollution

im amazed how many people are saying to just turn the music up, i hope you end up living next to some noisy neighbours yourselves and see how you like it!

to the OP: while your neighbour isnt being very nice about it you sound to have been quite rude yourself, have a bit of patience and ask him if you can test the volume and find a suitable volume that you can be happy with and he cant hear too much that it annoys him, be the bigger man in this :) also perhaps you could come to an agreement that its aloud on weekends to be louder? thats what we've done with ours

Soldato
Having to listen to other people's music through walls is very annoying. As others have said, what may seem like a reasonable volume for you might easily penetrate the walls and be hell for him. I'll echo the suggestion of speaking to him about it, say you feel it's a reasonable volume during the day and ask if you can experience how loud it is in his flat.

A bit of noise can be expected in flats, but constant music (even just the bass) can be really frustrating for the recipient.

Associate
I think the comment about putting your music on the usual level and hearing it from his flat is the best idea. Try seeing it from another persons shoes before complaining :)

If you do that, it'll show your willing to listen, and then if you deem it too low to hear, then go from there :)

Soldato
I think with TV you start off at volume X and then as your ears adjust to the level - you might turn it up a notch until that becomes 'normal'. This only becomes worse if you're eating at the same time. Especially crisps!
Films can be bad as you get really quiet moments where you can barely hear anything, then it's explosions and music.
So unless you're constantly thinking of your neighbours, it can be easy to not realise the annoyance you're causing.

I sometimes hear a TV above my bedroom if I go to bed 11-12, to the point where I can almost hear the words. That's very annoying as I find it impossible to drift off. But luckily they don't stay up much later than 1.

Associate
I have come to an agreement with my neighbors that we both make as little noise as possible !
I made a lot of noise when I got my first place but now no how annoying it is when your trying to relax and all you can hear is boom boom boom through the walls ,drives you nuts ,to the point where you consider drastic actions .
I think you are being unreasonable as I use to be and should respect his need for no noise intrusion !
You may well end up at wars with each other which you don't wont !

Last edited:
Soldato
Next time he bangs on the wall, shout "What do you want?" and have a conversation through the wall. Then go to his front door and ask him to stop shouting while talking to his girlfriend.

Back
Top Bottom