Neighbours - Am I being unresonable?

Soldato
Not taking sides, but I will say that bass frequencies do tend to travel far even if turned down, I can always here next doors even though its turned down, i dont complain because i do the same thing but you might just want to turn down your bass.

Soldato
I live in a flat and have a nice pair of Sennheiser headphones and the sound from them is great. I listen to music all the time. I expect you can get Bluetooth ones as well.

I never hear anything from the neighbours and I would not wish to disturb them with my music. I personally don't like to hear other people's music, however loud it is.

Treat yourself to some nice headphones, then write a note to your neighbours explaining you've done this. The world will be a happier place.

Then start saving for a nice remote detached house where you can play your music as loud as you like (as I am).

All the best

Radderfire

Last edited:
Associate
Need to compromise. He obviously thinks it's too loud and expecting him to get used to it would be a bit selfish really. Also his missus might be the one making him complain.

Don't know the details of the parking but I do know that it's a pain when someone parks in my space because I then have to park in someone else's space and wait to move my car. Parking spaces round here are insanely rare though.

Soldato
About 4 months ago I moved from one flat in my building to another (on the top floor - it's a big old mansion type thing). After 3-4 days the people downstairs started banging on the ceiling (8-9pm with me playing music at a moderate level, with a well rounded sound system. Some bass yes, but not excessive - carpet and underlay in effect).

Anyway, this happened 3-4 times during the week, and I got a bit tired of it. I set up my 2 amps and 4 loudspeakers and left it running pretty loud for an hour every time they banged the ceiling. After a few days they stopped banging..
Then the next Saturday night there was an assload of noise from downstairs at about 2am (it's a big flat with about 7 students living in it, and they have occasional parties etc). I popped downstairs. Not to ask them to quieten down, but to ask them to quit banging, because sometimes we all make a little noise ;), ended up spending the night at the party, and they agreed that they could barely hear anything, but one of the girls was a bit of a whinging git, and was overreacting (and banging). Not heard anything since :).

Moral of the story: If they bang, you turn it up. If they make any noise, you remind them of the irony. And above all, have a chat about it :).

Soldato
It's very hard to say without knowing exactly how loud you have the sound/music. He could be being unreasonable but then so could you, IYSWIM.

I think those who've suggested you offer to go round there and listen for yourself have hit the nail on the head. The last thing you need is to fall out with your neighbours.

As for all those in this thread posting remarks about simply ignoring him and turning the music up - grow up! Having had noisy neighbour problems myself, I'll gladly wish the misery upon each of you then maybe you won't be so glib in future.

I do appreciate that some sound will always travel in adjoining properties and, if you want silence from your neighbours and the peace of mind to produce as much noise as you want with a clear conscience, buy a detached house. It's what I ended up doing :)

I appreciate you're always going t

Soldato
I live in a semi-detached house and the other half of the building is rented so I have had various neighbours. Only one of them has been a problem though and that was when two lads lived next door. One of them was fine but the other as a bit of a numpty.

Me and the one who was ok tried out different volumes on our kit and listen to see how much we could hear in each others houses, he wanted to do this as he was surprised I didn't have an issue with his music volumes. We could go way above reasonable levels before it became an issue, (fairly good sound proofing), but the other guy kept on putting on music, (at 2am), way louder than this. In the end the reasonable chap threw the other guy out as he was just to much trouble.

My point is communicate with them and see if you can come round and hear the extent of the problem yourself. It would give you some idea whether they are being over sensitive or if it is a lack of sound proofing causing the issue.

Soldato
Your neighbour sounds like a complete numpty to be honest. Go to a phone box and call Crimestoppers to inform them of his drug dealing. Also say that you think he may also be selling to children because you see quite a few children go in and leave after an hour or so looking all dishevelled.
Arrh thank you Azagoth, cheered me up :)

And Greg do you mind me asking what music you were listening to?

Oh and remember to pound the No Swearing out of that wall when you hear him giving his misses one.

LOL

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well, if you know your system is noisy then you shouldn't play it so loud. Have respect for your neighbours. You may think it is not loud but with thin walls etc it could be defening to him next door.

Next time he knocks, go round his and ask if you can listen from his place. You might be surprised how sound can travel in a thin walled flat!!

Soldato
Aye as said dont combat this with banging or whacking up the speakers, it WONT work and to be fair is a morons approach to it. We now have had issues with next door and we have a new 3 bed its to do with parties on saturday nights from around 1am till 3, its not music just v v loud shouting especially when they kick the back doors open and it spills into the garden, 4 weeks ago its spilled into the front garden and it was very loud, woke me straight up. Loads of drunken people going nuts and its not something im going to put up with.

I can cope with once a month but its was getting more frequent, i didnt bang i just went round the day after and had a word. People should not bang in my view they should let it go and then the next day speak to you. Noise and neighbours is a big big problem for a lot of people, flats are the worst. Again do what has been said, go around there iwht your lass or friend and just be calm and explain you want to get it sorted and that maybe testing some diff volumes may work, im sure if they are decent they will be up for it and it will get sorted, you cant whack a sub on in a flat though mate really you cant especially after 9pm, i wouldnt do it.

Soldato
I don't think you're being unreasonable, it sounds to me like the neighbours are. I could sympathise with them if you were kicking out Slayer or something at full volume at 3am, but at a reasonable volume at 7pm? No chance, it's entirely unreasonable of them to expect to hear nothing from you 24/7. End of the day, if they want guaranteed no noise, they should buy a detached property.

You may think it is not loud but with thin walls etc it could be defening to him next door.

How could the music be deafening next door if it isn't loud in the same room?

Soldato
End of the day, if they want guaranteed no noise, they should buy a detached property.

They likely would if they could, i would love a 4 bed detached but i cant afford it. People living in flats i wouldnt have thought have the funds for a detached, thats why they are in a flat.

Soldato
And, that's the very reason why you have to have respect for each other when you are sharing walls... as it's not simply just a case of "Well it's my flat so I can do what I want."

Soldato
They likely would if they could, i would love a 4 bed detached but i cant afford it. People living in flats i wouldnt have thought have the funds for a detached, thats why they are in a flat.

And if that's the case, they should be prepared for the fact that they will hear their neighbours going about their business, listening to TV, playing music etc. You can't expect people to make no noise whatsoever, especially during the daytime.

Soldato
Why do modern flat/house builders insist on making the walls so thin? Might as well make them out of tissue paper.

Somewhere a Victorian house builder is turning in his grave.

On that subject, the walls are so thick in our Victorian house that I can turn the volume up to 11 and nobody but us can hear it. :D

Man of Honour
My first thought is that its unreasonable to expect to be able to have a music system with sub etc etc in a flat environment. Get a decent pair of headphones, or chose a property more suited to your audio tastes.

Back
Top Bottom