Neighbours God **** tree!

Bought a house last year. There's a big tree slightly over hanging my drive. I didn't appreciate just how much rubbish I will suffer because of this tree.

Soon it'll be the leaves, that's fine the wind moves them and it's to be expected, early in the year its endless sap, and now its the acorns. Endless acorns. I take a petrol leaf blower 4 times a week to my drive. Below is a photo I took today. 2 days prior I cleared the whole drive of acorns to see how quickly they come back.

Any thing I can do? I spoke to him and he said the tree is old so he went to leave it as is. Understandable but fml surely there's a limit to the rubbish you can expect from a neighbours tree?

Soldato
OP
v7lQrnE
Acorns!

https://imgur.com/gallery/v7lQrnE

Soldato
Lol, mate that’s nothing. We’ve got accorns, eucalyptus bark, eucalyptus leaves, normal leaves, hairy catipillar things and apples all from neighbouring trees.

I just learn to appreciate how good it looks for all of 10 minutes after each sweeping sesh :D

Soldato
OP
Gather them up and lob them back into his garden? Keep doing that till he’s had his fill and decides it’s probably better to trim the tree back a bit?
It's tempting, however he's a nice guy and it's the scrap end of his long garden. He wouldn't notice the acorns piling up with the bushes growing there. Whenever this ever stops, the leaves will hit us next.

Surely there's a rule how much you can expect to suffer with?

Caporegime
it a tree, who cares?

My house in the US had 30 Oak trees. My advice is you just leave it until there is a deep pile and a long stretch of dry weather to clear, or just pay a local gardener to clear the leaves.

Permabanned
You bought a house with an existing tree, which you now regret.
You tried asking the guy, he said he wants to keep it.
That's the end of it IMO.
You can move house, or just tolerate it, or somehow manage it better, or buy the house next door.

Soldato
LOL

There's **** all you can do, just suck it up (or blow depending on your preference) buttercup :p

You can legally cut off any overhanging branches (as long as it doesn't have a preservation order on it) but don't just throw them over the fence as that can be deemed as fly tipping (seriously :D) though you do have to give him the offer of having them back or being disposed off. Don't keep the acorns either, that can be classed as theft! (seriously too :D)

Obviously, those scenarios are extreme and won't happen if you get on with your neighbour, but leaves on your drive..... *shrug* Just clean them up and get on with your life.

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/what-are-rights-regarding-neighbours-trees.html

What your neighbour is NOT liable for
One of the important things to remember is that your neighbour would not be liable for any damage caused to your property with respect to any fallen leaves that might damage your lawn, block your drains or block your gutters, nor can he be held responsible for any trips or slips caused by wet leaves on your driveway.

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/rights-trees-and-overhanging-branches.html

Soldato
Gather them up and lob them back into his garden? Keep doing that till he’s had his fill and decides it’s probably better to trim the tree back a bit?
Dumping litter in to a neighbours garden that they didn't ask for is a sure fire way to start issues. Sure its the neighbours tree but doesn't give the OP the right to do this.

OP You can cut the tree back to the boundary line and offer your neighbour the trimmings / rubbish but other then that and talking to him to see what he's willing to do further, you have very limited options but to deal with it.

Soldato
OP You can cut the tree back to the boundary line and offer your neighbour the trimmings / rubbish but other then that and talking to him to see what he's willing to do further, you have very limited options but to deal with it.

Not if it’s protected! You have to apply for permission even if its on your land and then there are set rules on how it must be cut and so on.

Back
Top Bottom