Nest Thermostat turning heating on when should be off

Associate
Hi,

Anyone know why my heating comes on when theres nothing set in my schedule?

Below are some photos of the app ;

Associate
OP
My money’s on there being a human who isn’t you manually turning the heat up.

Yeah. We had this a year ago. It kept coming on at 4am and it turns out our daughter was waking up putting it on so it would be warm when she got up at 6!

My side of the bed is right by a radiator and it used to be awful!

Took about a week to work it out.

No it can’t be that there’s only me and my girl friend and she tells me she never touches it. It also comes on at 11pm sometimes when she’s in bed so definitely not been changed .

Associate
At 8am, you've set your schedule to be 22.5 degrees.

At 9.30pm till midnight, you've set your schedule to be 23 degrees.

So I'd say its working as expected.

The way your schedule is setup, your target temperature is 22 degrees or higher from 6am till midnight. I assume you've misunderstood how the schedule is setup. You need to put a much lower target temperature at the times you don't want the heating to be on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
At 8am, you've set your schedule to be 22.5 degrees.

At 9.30pm till midnight, you've set your schedule to be 23 degrees.

So I'd say its working as expected.

The way your schedule is setup, your target temperature is 22 degrees or higher from 6am till midnight. I assume you've misunderstood how the schedule is setup. You need to put a much lower target temperature at the times you don't want the heating to be on.

I dont understand, all I want is to have heating on in the morning and evening, when im away at work or in bed I dont want it on, how do i set that up in the schedule ? I assume leaving no temperature in the schedule would mean its completely off.

Associate
I assume leaving no temperature in the schedule would mean its completely off.

It doesn't work like that. The thermostat always has a target temperature. It will never be completely off. You can set the target temperature ridiculously low at the time you want the heating to be off. I usually set mine to around 18 degrees, so on very cold days, the heating will come on even if we are out. There's pros to keeping a house at a moderate temperature rather than allowing it to get very cold, which then may potentially require a lot more gas to heat it back up, as opposed to maintaining a higher temp.

Associate
OP
It doesn't work like that. The thermostat always has a target temperature. It will never be completely off. You can set the target temperature ridiculously low at the time you want the heating to be off. I usually set mine to around 18 degrees, so on very cold days, the heating will come on even if we are out. There's pros to keeping a house at a moderate temperature rather than allowing it to get very cold, which then may potentially require a lot more gas to heat it back up, as opposed to maintaining a higher temp.

So what your saying is I need to set temperatures for every time for every day of the week, even when I don't want it on?

Can you send a screen shot of your schedule and settings and I will try yours

Soldato
The way the schedule works is you set a temperature and it will consider that the target until the next temperature in the schedule.

So you want to set 22 at 8am say, then at 9am set 18. That will aim to keep it at 22 from 8 til 9, then from 9am onwards it'll only turn on if it drops below 18.

If you're aiming for a bit of heating in the morning and the evening, you'll only need 4 temperatures shown per day.

Soldato
You've completely misunderstood the way the schedule works and you have way too many entries in there.

Yours is setting 23 degrees just before 9.15pm and the next change is 14.5 at midnight (in the OP, in the post just above it's pretty much permanently trying to achieve 22, 22.5 or 23.5).

So from 9.15pm until midnight it's trying to maintain 23 degrees.

What temperatures do you want at what times? We can probably tell you how to set it.

Associate
OP
You've completely misunderstood the way the schedule works and you have way too many entries in there.

Yours is setting 23 degrees just before 9.15pm and the next change is 14.5 at midnight (in the OP, in the post just above it's pretty much permanently trying to achieve 22, 22.5 or 23.5).

So from 9.15pm until midnight it's trying to maintain 23 degrees.

What temperatures do you want at what times? We can probably tell you how to set it.

Yes it sounds like I have misunderstood how the schedule works.

I want it on from 5pm till 10pm at around 23c

I then want it off until 6am the next morning till around 8.00am at a temp of 22c

Back
Top Bottom