Netflix: Schumacher

Commissario

This has been some time coming but I'm looking forward to it next week. I do wonder how much they'll reveal about his current condition and whether it'll just be another documentary about all the good things he's done, glossing over the *ahem* less than positive moments in his career.

Associate
There are some comments Mick has made in the documentary that are very sad about not being able to discuss his career with Michael.

“Since the accident these [family] experiences, these moments that I believe many people have with their parents are no longer present, or to a lesser extent, and in my view that is a little unfair,” he says.

“I think dad and me, we would understand each other in a different way now simply because we speak a similar language, the language of motorsport, and that we would have much more to talk about. And that’s where my head is most of the time, thinking that would be so cool. I would give up everything just for that.”

Man of Honour
In my experience friends/family of someone generally seem to keep things close to their chest in situations like this if there is hope but still no real progress.

Associate
I never understand why the secrecy.

IMO...he's brain dead

I doubt... as someone who's experienced that with family I can say that he'd probably not be alive without a machine encouraging him to breath if he was. But I suspect severely brain damaged to a semi vegetative state. Very sad

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Never been an MS fan but I will likely watch, however it doesn't feel right to put something like this out there whilst the man is still alive IMO. Just seems a little odd because his journey isn't yet complete and it's not something he's able to be a part of and comment on (I assume). Seems really odd to me.

Commissario
OP
In my experience friends/family of someone generally seem to keep things close to their chest in situations like this if there is hope but still no real progress.
With the little we've heard and the few comments about him not being the Michael he was and how Mick talks to him but he doesn't respond, I suspect it's a forlorn hope and that there's zero chance of any progress.

Never been an MS fan but I will likely watch, however it doesn't feel right to put something like this out there whilst the man is still alive IMO. Just seems a little odd because his journey isn't yet complete and it's not something he's able to be a part of and comment on (I assume). Seems really odd to me.
Because the family wanted privacy and most people respect that

This is all being done with the support of the family - Schumacher would have had a huge fortune but one can't help but wonder if the money is starting to dwindle and this is being done to raise funds.

Soldato
This is all being done with the support of the family .
I think the comment you quoted was in response to the secrecy around this current condition, not the documentary.

This bbc article today gave some info on this

The Schumacher family have kept his medical condition private as they say those would be his wishes.
His wife added: "'Private is private', as he always said. It's very important to me that he can continue to enjoy his private life as much as possible. Michael always protected us, and now we are protecting Michael."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58499400

Soldato
I never understand why the secrecy.

IMO...he's brain dead

I prefer to think of it as privacy rather than secrecy - secrecy makes the implication we have a right to the information and it's being kept from us.

They're under no obligations to spill all to the general public, IMO they're not 'keeping secrets', they're just going about their lives with an element of privacy involved now.

Associate
cant help but think the timing of the documentary is to do with Lewis poised to break Michael's last record rather than equal it...

It probably riles to hear Lewis described as GOAT and they want people to not forgot Michael. Or something "like" that

Commissario
OP
Don't think there's any chance of that with an estimated net worth of $600M.
It was widely reported when he was moved home that they effectively built a hospital with full life support on the side of his house. I can't imagine that sort of thing is cheap and neither is the care required to keep someone in a vegetative state alive.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
cant help but think the timing of the documentary is to do with Lewis poised to break Michael's last record rather than equal it...

It probably riles to hear Lewis described as GOAT and they want people to not forgot Michael. Or something "like" that

Yes, because everything is about Lewis Hamilton, One True Light, The Messiah, Saviour Of The World™ :p:D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Looking forward to his. Schuey was no saint, so I hope they don't gloss over his shenanigans with throwaway comments.

"That time he beat Damon in 1994 lolololololol" :D

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'm still salty....

Meh. Every F1 driver from the last 40 years would have stuck his car up the inside as Hill did, and every one of them with the possible exception of Prost would have turned in on him. Would never even have happened these days of course, because as soon as Schumacher went off on the corner before the incident the Williams pit radio would have jumped into life to tell Hill just to wait for him to pull off the track with the damage that Schumacher had almost certainly picked up.

That, and they wouldn't be at Adelaide. Far too challenging a track for the current breed of driver.

Associate
Looking forward to his. Schuey was no saint, so I hope they don't gloss over his shenanigans with throwaway comments.

"That time he beat Damon in 1994 lolololololol" :D
Stayed up that night to watch the race live, after the incident I started the VCR up and when to bed, watched the end in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom