Netflix vs LoveFilm

Associate
Hello!

Can anybody please help to summarise the differences between Netflix and LoveFilm streaming services, specifically the library? I have called Netflix and they say the best way to browse the library is to sign up for the 1 month free but I'd rather not try them both and instead I'd prefer to browse the library first to see which best suits my needs.

Specifically, does anybody know of a way (or a website) to browse the full library for each of these services?

Which is your favourite and which would you recommend?

I'm interested to know as the Lovefilm offer for new customers on Amazon Black Friday sales looks great but I want to make sure that's the correct package for me rather than Netflix!

Thank you! :)

Soldato
Netflix has more on demand stuff at a higher quality than LoveFilm.

Give NowTV a try too. Its from Sky, 30 days free, first 3 months are a little cheaper too, no contract. I'm on the trial and so far its better than Netflix. Just movies though, no TV or documentaries so probably wont keep it, but might be good for you.

Man of Honour
I had both but cancelled Lovefilm. Quality wasn't as good, streaming wasn't as reliable and the selection was stale and rarely updated.

With Netflix, you also have the option of accessing the US library using unblock-us.

Commissario
I signed up for Lovefilm last month, I watched one episode of Lost and then cancelled it last week. Not enough content for me I'm afraid to warrant a fiver a month.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely seems as though Netflix is the one to go for, if any. Shame due to the Amazon £16 for 6 months but no point if the content is poor!

Is it 'easy' for one of you with Netflix to give me a list of their current cataloge? Just wondering if there is a page showing 'All' that you could copy and paste for me or something similar.

Thanks! :)

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely seems as though Netflix is the one to go for, if any. Shame due to the Amazon £16 for 6 months but no point if the content is poor!

Is it 'easy' for one of you with Netflix to give me a list of their current cataloge? Just wondering if there is a page showing 'All' that you could copy and paste for me or something similar.

Thanks! :)

This is what I use :)

http://instantwatcher.com/

Jcb33

Soldato
Lovefilm is you fancy getting DVD/Blu-ray rentals through the post and a more recent/upto date films collection. Good luck leaving them when you decide to do so though...

Netflix is miles better, and its streaming algorithms are properly done unlike LF. It has a huge selection of older stuff, mainly TV shows, and less recent films but overall it is just much better. I use it on my AppleTV2 (Netflix US) and iPad (Netflix UK) religously.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Leaving lovefilm and Netflix is simple. Click a button in your profile and confirm.

Not sure how that amounts to anything but "easy" tbh.

Netflix is best for streaming whilst lovefilm is best for physical rentals

Man of Honour
Leaving lovefilm and Netflix is simple. Click a button in your profile and confirm.

With love film, only outside of office hours. If you try doing it within office hours, it won't let you do it online and tells you to phone up. Do it at night and it does it online.

Another vote for netflix its great, ok hasn't got the newest stuff but non will due to sky's massive exclustivtitivity deals.

Nowtv which is sky's offering has very few back films, no TV shows and at £15 isn't worth it yet, even more pointless if you have sky films.
However it is meant to grow in 2013 and start adding tv shows and sport. If/when that happens. It will blow netflix out the water and again due to exclustivtitivity deals, netflix can't compete on content.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Lovefilm is more like clicking a button in your profile, clicking a button on the "are you sure" page, clicking another button on the next "are you sure page", clicking the decline button on the offers they throw out in an attempt to reel you back in, click another button on yet another "are you sure" page, clicking another button declining their offer of "you still have x days left until your next payment, give it another chance", and then clicking a final confirm button.

Frustrating but not difficult :p

Soldato
With love film, only outside of office hours. If you try doing it within office hours, it won't let you do it online you need to phone up. Do it at night and it does it online.

On LoveFilm now and when I click to leave, its just telling me to call a number.

It annoys me to be honest, I know its not hard, call, ignore retention deal and cancel. But an online service should be cancelable online. They are happy enough to take your money online.

Man of Honour
On LoveFilm now and when I click to leave, its just telling me to call a number.

It annoys me to be honest, I know its not hard, call, ignore retention deal and cancel. But an online service should be cancelable online. They are happy enough to take your money online.

Try again in a bit, it'll let you do it after a certain time.

Soldato
Still got my Netflix account going, even though I rarely use it. I just like to have the option, if I'm bored and there's a film I haven't seen before.

I tried Lovefilm a few months ago with a free trial and I really didn't rate it at all. Streaming quality was poor, and the selection of films available was poor, so at the end of the trial I just closed the account.

Back
Top Bottom