Netgear D7000 with NordVPN

Associate
Guys and Girls, i have recently brought a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 Modem/Router and also subscribed to NordVPN. I currently have the NordVPN client on my main PC, and it works great, but is there a way to get VPN on the D7000 so that any device connected to my network is VPN'ed when accessing the web? I have read a few threads, but still lost. Is it even possible or would i have to put the NordVPN client on every device? The reason for asking was hoping to get Netflix US on my Smart TV's instead of the UK version.
Thanks in advance,

Associate
Yes, it should be possible. I don't have that model but with my similar spec Asus AC3200 I just set up the VPN in the router's config screen. You'll want to use OpenVPN.

However, there is a caveat. Encrypting/Decrypting traffic requires CPU power. Even with a custom firmware with optimised VPN configuration, my AC3200 (with the same dual core 1ghz CPU as your D7000 I believe) the maximum the CPU could handle was 32MBit. My connection was limited by the CPU speed in the router.

I now have a significantly more complex setup. ISP router -> Fanless mini PC running an i7 5557u to handle the VPN -> Asus AC3200 -> Every other device on the network.

The 5557u in the mini-pc doesn't break a sweat maxing out my 75MBit connection.

Soldato
As above but check in your router VPN config if OpenVPN supports 'client' mode - if so then you can but if only server mode then you can't (I have only server mode on my router)

Back
Top Bottom