Netgear Rangemax NEXT?

Associate
I've got a netgear DG834G and the range / reliability is pretty terrible (1 floor up and about 10m horizontally and I get a weak signal). I would much rather go wired but the landlord wont let us drill holes.

Anyone had any experience with this pre-n kit? Can it be firmware updated to proper 802.11n at a later date or is there likely a difference in hardware?

Associate
THe Range Max Next router is pretty good but if you are using wireless adapters that only support B or G standards then you must set the router to B/G mode and NOT the pre N. When setting up the router you really need to use a ethernet connection and then sort out the wireless side.

I have used one for a while and found the range and signal strenght to be pretty good and better than the MIMO routers in my experience.

At the momnet as to can the router be updated to the final N standard the answer is probably no it cannot and I would not buy one thinking that you can. The whole N standard stuff is still a while of being finalised then next draft N stuff is early next year and depending on how that goes it could be finalised by the end of 2007 as have a finished standard.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I was planning on buying the Router and a Nic as well but if its not likely to be upgradeable I think i'll leave off for the time being.

Just gonna have to work out how to wire this place up I guess.

Associate
Ive just switched to a rangemax network using both the router and the pci card.

Ive found similar the distance is only about 10-20m and one story, yet the signal is often poor and usaully about 40-50%. Also the signal was non existant when placed on the story above.

Any one got any tips that arent covered by those on the web site, for maximising the connection.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom