Netgear XE104 Powerline Ethernet Switch or HDX101 HD Ethernet Adapter

Soldato
I did a quick search but couldnt see anything

Anyone tried either of these, I am quite interested in them due to being unable to lay cables due to rental contract and they are faster / more reliable (or should be) than wireless.

The XE104 is upto 85Mbps and the HDX101 is upto 200Mbps so pretty reasonable speeds and with intrinsic reliability of having physical cable (albeit a power line)

The major downside to the HDX is that it only has one port where is the XE is a four port switch - but as a standard netgear 5 port gigabit switch is around £30 now, thats not so bad.

Anyone got any experience of these? - as I hate being a gunea (sp?) pig

Associate
Hi

I have set up a network using the original Netgear power line adapters and they worked OK but was not getting anywhere near the speeds quoted. Where I set it up the house had just been totally rewired and the speed issues seemed to have been due to the fuse box as I tested them on my home wiring and got pretty good speeds. I would suggest buying them from somewhere that has a no quibble returns policy in case you have the issues with the fuse box causing slow speeds.

The new versions I have not tried yet but remember the speeds quoted of 200Mbps are maximum and rela world is going to be more like 70 Mb

Thanks

Soldato
It just so happens im having an electrical engineer turn up on Friday for a check of ..everything i believe. I might try and ask him what the deal is, what might affect it on the circuit etc..

Associate
I've installed these who want to receive an internet signal and wireless is not suitable and they are spot on. I haven't tried file sharing with them so I can't comment on that but as an alternative to wireless for internet sharing they are good
Brian

Back
Top Bottom