Network divx/xvid player/blueray or DVD with HDMI support?

Associate
I am trying to find a Blueray or DVD player with good divx/xvid/mkv support that can stream over the network as well. Can anyone recommend one? Tired of taking DVDRs through to my player in the lounge, a couple of powerline devices and a new player would solve it, but is there a good one out there at a decent price that wont break me?

Associate
really?? will PS3 play MKV's?

Nope...you have to transcode each file using either mkv2vob or tsMuxer. Tho I think some servers do this on the fly.

And if you're bothered about power consumption even the new PS3 slim will consume at least 4 times as much power doing the same job as something like the LG. The older models, well let's not go there ;)

Associate
OP
I have promised my son a PS3 for xmas, but dont want it on the plasma in the lounge where I watch tv/monies since he will want to play it there. Hes relegated to the old plasma in the conservatory :D

As mentioned though, I believe the PS3 does not play back all the formats I want, which makes it just as irritating as my current solution!

Released prices for the imminent BD390 are £175 retail and that puts the nail in the coffin of the PS3 for blueray playback for me.

Associate
OP
Initial impressions are very good.

Network connection was easy using powerline connection as wireless can be a little hit and miss in the fireplace where the gear is located. I have not been able to create a share on my windows 2008 server that the LG can see so have resorted to Tversity, it seems MS stopped with DLNA compatible shares after server 2000 and XP from what I can find on the net!
As regards formats I have only had 1 failure so far, an H264 file, everything else (MP4,divs,xvid,mkv) has played seamlessly. Updates have been simple over the internet, and a small download to give access to an engineers menu has made the player region free for DVD.
It is fast to load both DVDs and BluRay discs, no errors playing either so far, and the picture is fantastic on those limited discs I have been able to get hold of for testing.
Connection to the TV is via HDMI, connection to the amp is via coax digital, no problems experienced with either.
I havent tested the front USB connection yet, apparently it supports both usb sticks and HDDs, again I wont need to burn a disc to take movies through.
Finally, the link to youtube is a bit gimmicky but it browses, searches and plays videos from youtube seamlessly, certainly gives a break from crap TV sometimes.

All in all I love this player. It really does all it says ont he tin so far. :)

Soldato
Great stuff! Glad you're happy with it and thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I'm assuming your media files are on your Win2008 machine which is acting as a dedicated server as opposed to a pc that is in day to day general use; correct me if i'm wrong.

With the wired connection, are you noticing any stuttering when playing videos, especially the higher def content? I read somewhere that the LG isn't able to buffer so that was a concern.

I'll probably have more questions for you later if you don't mind answering but that's all i can think of at the moment :)

Associate
OP
No stuttering at all, its all very smooth altho I do not have any hi-def content on there as such.
I have shared files from XP, server 2000 and server 2008. XP and server 2000 shares are seen by the LG and stream files just fine, the server 2008 machine is seen by the LG, but not the shares, the other PCs on the network can interact with the shares no problem.
The 2000 and 2008 server are both dedicated, they have a 2ghz P4 and 2.6ghz celeron respectively so are by no means high spec.

I will test with a high def file tomorrow and let you know how I get on :) In theory it should be fine, as I deliberately chose 200mbps powerline adaptors for just this purpose which others have found work well.

Soldato
This LG really does appear to be a great piece of kit and i would have expected it to cost a fair bit more than £170 given its capabilities.

Luckily i had the lounge extended last year and already have cat5e running from the pc room to the lounge. I guess the best solution to maximise speed would be to connect a high speed switch into the router and connect the pc and the lounge cat5e into that rather than just plugging them both into the router.

Thanks for testing a high def file; i look forward to hearing how that performs :)

Associate
Can you possibly test it with some standard DVD VOBs? I'd really love to get my DVDs ripped and stored so I don't have to use the discs any more. Fed up of those stupid FACT warnings on discs I've bought!

Back
Top Bottom