Network PCs losing other PCs and drives.

Soldato
My network is as basic as it gets, but there is a fair few things connected to it.

I have 4 NAS systems, with 2,2,4, and 4 Drives in them, with various junk.

DLINK 320B 2x2TB
DLINK 320B 2x2TB
Netgear ReadyNAS 4x3TB
Netgear ReadyNAS 4x4TB

I have a Server that is a master backup for all the personal files from my families PCs and also a copy of the NAS drives too! - The Server is not always on, but I have setup ware so that when it does get powered on, it does a backup of everything that it sees, nice and simple, if a bit wasteful.

My MASTER PC, my main PC that I use, works just fine.

It has a few drives from the NAS drives for example, Music and Videos and these are mounted as NETWORK drives and they work 100% of the time, and they are good.

My MediaCenter PC in the Living room, also has one Network drive, and this is pointing to the TV Fodler where we have our recorded corrie and Emmerdale and whatever thats recorded by our really old, but somehow reliable TV recording PC.

Now, the Drives that are mounted, all seem to work just fine, on all the PCs that have them.

However, last month or so, for a short few days, and again now, when I try looking on the network, I cannot see most of the things that should be there!

For example, on this PC that Im twiddling about with, and my daughters PC, and the MediaCenter PC, I can see the PC I am on, plus a Vodafone Connect under Media Devices and also Network infrastructure, I can see my printer both under Printers and scanners ( its setup with WIFI so the whole house can have full access to it ), and under storage, it is showing ONE of the READYNAS NAS boxes, but I cannot access the files, the only thing I can access, is the webpage for that one NAS... Which gives me the cloud stuff that I dont want to do!

My entire network currently setup like this :-

TEL LINE - Vodafone Modem/Router

One line from the Router to a HomePlug, another line through to my computer room.

The homePlug provides internet to the rest of the house :-
Homeplug 2. Living room - This goes to a switch that then goes to -> Sky box, TV, and Media PC
Homeplug 3. Bedroom 1 ( Eldest son / Zombie ) - Switch -> PC, XBOX, Playstation.
Homeplug 4. Bedroom 2 ( Youngest son / git ) -> PC
Homeplug 5. Bedroom 3 ( Daughter ) -> Switch -> TV , PC
Homeplug 6. Bedroom 4 ( Mine ) -> TV

All the homeplugs are 500 or 600 and they do have 3 different models I grant you, but they are all 100% compatible.

My Computer room has a 16 Port Switch, that then comes from the Modem, but then goes to :-

NAS 1 : NAS2 : NAS3 : NAS4 : SERVER : Hackintosh : Master PC : Linux PC : Utility room ( Through Wall ) and also to the outside shed ( Wired, Shed is concrete and I was going to setup my server in there, but I feel its a tad damp so Im going to properly do it up first.

So I do freely admit, that the Network is a bit wonky, but I do try various other ways, but this seems to be about the best really... Without of course doing away with the Homeplugs / powerline adapters and using wired only, but the misus wont let me.

Anyway, I have done a few things that are more obvious, such as resetting the router, all the PCs can still access the internet just fine, so the cables themselves are obviously fine, but why is the network still invisible to them all?

Even my Main PC as I said... Trying to access the network drives is not happening and yet the drives that are setup as network drives, I can get fuill access to them and their contents, if I double click on the My Computer icon and then on the drive letter that I have set them up with, but not with going through the NETWORK icon?

I am freely going to admit that I have waffled on a great deal, please dont judge me on that... I dont seem to be able to help myself.. Its part of my mental issues, but if anyone has any clues? I would be incredibly greatful.

Soldato
OP
Yes, I have setup a temporary solution that way on my Daughters PC and put a couple of icons on her desktop, but this does not actually solve the issue, but merely goes around it.

Admittedly, its a great go-around, so thanks, but...

As for Powerlines, I agree, its not the best and I would rather not do it that way, but it does work.

I have even said to the missus, that I can do it with only using one cable going upstairs, but she is adamant that she is not having any cabling going anywhere!
To be fair, we have only just moved in a year ago, and the old house had cables ( albeit completely invisible as I had them well hidden under perfectly installed trunking.

Don
Yup.

Wife went out for afternoon tea. My mate and I tore the house up and started cabling.

All done (not terminated) before she got back.

Took her weeks to notice the one bit of trunking I had to use :D

Soldato
OP
It's much easier if you have a benevolent dictatorship rather than a democracy (and wait until they've gone out).

I see who wears the trousers in your house... Its clearly the wife isnt it?

You chicken, you failure, you utter ponce... Yeah, me too LOL

Ok, so thanks for the link... Im looking now, and yes, it does seem to be a similar issue to me, so I will look deeper ( just had a quick browse at the moment ) and see where that gets me.

Just a quick note, but the Media Centre PC, is I am sure still only running Win 7/64 and so its not just a Win10 issue.

I will also plop Win7 onto a PC for some tests and NOT update it, same with Win 10, so that there is no new updates that wil cause the issue, and this will hopefully let me know if it is anything to do with the creators updates as mentioned in the link. Thanks for that!

Soldato
OP
Yup.

Wife went out for afternoon tea. My mate and I tore the house up and started cabling.

All done (not terminated) before she got back.

Took her weeks to notice the one bit of trunking I had to use :D

Agreed, its definitely a plan, but I have one small issue...

I had an accident a short while ago, and I am now a wheelchair user.
My best option would be to also go straight through the ceiling/floorboards as our stairs are not very good for trying to hide a cable along.
I was able to get around it on the previous house because it was a very small 2 up 2 down house, but this new house is massive.3

Maybe its a case of needs and must, so if she wants access to the TV in bed, then she needs to let me install the cabling do you think?

--

Seriously though... What is wrong with using the homeplugs / Powerline adapters?

I mean, they have been absolutely flawless for me to be fair... if a little slower than they should be.

Soldato
Seriously though... What is wrong with using the homeplugs / Powerline adapters?

I mean, they have been absolutely flawless for me to be fair... if a little slower than they should be.

If they work for you then that's fine.

For throughput and long-term reliability you're better off with cables.

Soldato
OP
If they work for you then that's fine.

For throughput and long-term reliability you're better off with cables.

Yeah, I guess Im still 50-50 with them then!

Of course, cables is the best option, that there is no doubt, and as for long term reliability, its pretty much too early to say. My last home was all cable and I had 17 or 18 years without any issues caused by the network itself, only my own stupidity with a few things, and this network has only been grown with Powerlines in mind.

I will also add, that my computer room, is in and extended part of the house, that has its own Electrical junction box. These are known to cause problems with powerlines, and so, I have tried to keep the powerlines in the main part of the house rather than in the computer room.

The only issue I have had, and indeed still have, is one of speed... this is mostly fine when I am watching a movie over the LAN, but when I try to use, lets say VNC-Viewer to control one ofthe PCs on the LAN, its dire... Screen updates are perhaps 1 or 2 FPS.

Anyway, I have been ok with the network at that speed for most of the time, because I rarely needto use it, its this missing devices thats bugging me right now and so, I will keep the LAN as it is for the time being, using the Powerlines etc, and I will see if I cant do something behind her highness' back to move to cable.

Soldato
OP
Well I have once again fully rebuilt the entire network.

2 machines are irritating me.

MASTER - Sees all 4 NAS Drives, but for the life of me, it will NOT let me open the DLINKS - See all other devices and opens them

KABYBABY - Sees all the devices, as the MASTER does, but will not open any other device, but it WILL open the DLINKS?

So in the case ofthe NAS drives, one opens the DLINKS, not the NETGEARS, and the other does the opposite

This surely means that its not hardware, but software thats the issue?

Now, saying that...

The POWERLINE plug in the Living room, does have all 3 lights permanently on. Usually the middle one flickers when there is data going through but this is on non stop.

I have swapped it for the same model, and the lights do the same so its not that particular device.

I am mixing them up and so, I have swapped out any odd ones, so they are all the exact same model devices, and it does not help. Yes I know I need to NOT use them, but they have worked flawlessly for me since I moved into this house, so I am not yet ready to plug the plug on them ( yes, pun very much intended )

I have counted up just how many devices are connected to my network, in total, and this includes all the PCs and tabletsand phones etc, and there is 69.
As much as that is a lovely number, I am wondering... in truth, is it a bit much?

I mean, its quite a shock, but we are a family of 5 and we all have our gadjets, we have multiple TVs, they are smart TVs with connections to the network, a Media PC plugged into them, sky too in the living room, we all have PCs and mobile phones. I myself am quite probably a technophile as I have 5 phones and 6 tablets as well as 2 entire rooms in my house purely for all my PCs, and sure, obviously not all of these are on at the same time, not even half of them, but the ASUS router that I have, remembers their IP and they always get that very same IP allthe time... I find this extremely handy as I also use VNC to do any alterations on any of the other PCs ( I am disabled and so running up and down the stairs isnt the easiest thing to do ) and so I know that my daughters PC is 192.168.2.34 and it never changes no matter what. Again, I have their IPs listed anyway o na link on my desktop.

Hell I waffle. I need a job.

Im done. Anyone have anything to help me still, cos Im out.

What I am working on right now, as a means to avoid the Powerlines, is going fully wireless whenever I can.

I have just bought a handful of WIFI dongles, and sure, they are cheap, but if they solve my issues then I will buy better ones.

I dont like WIFI but lets not kid ourselves, everything we own these days has some WIFI connection... Even my wifes Washing machine and Tumble driers are both WIFI capable... Sad but true.

Soldato
OP
Quick post for a change.

KABYLAKE PC

Sees the DLINKS and the NETGEARS.

Sees the DLINKS under Computers as their names I gave them, I double click and I can see the volumes and access them.
Sees the NETGEARS under Storage and showstheir device names ( ReadyNAS 104 [XYZ] ) where XYZ is the name I gave the devices.
When I double click on those, I get to see the web style setup page for READYCLOUD that the ReadyNAS Drives are capable of.
But I cannot access the files, even if I manually enter \\[devicename]

Associate
Not sure it this would be of any assistance but make sure the network profile in windows is set to Private as it has a habit of changing back to Public after significant windows updates. (Private allows File and Folder sharing while as Public doesn't).

Another thing, if your are using homegroups i found in the past that they could be a bit unreliable, i found it best to use the old permission system with windows usernames and passwords.

also, i browse my network shares by having shortcuts on the desktop which point to the share. That way if they are not there for any reason it doesn't complain.

Soldato
OP
I will double check on whether they have changed ( public/private ) Thanks.

Homegroups? No, well, not in any way other than the entire network is called WORKGROUP ( Boringly enough ).

Shortcuts.
I dont use them, not on the desktop that is, however, I do have the NAS boxes setup as Shared Network drives.

My MASTER pc, has full access to them all except the DLINKS ( Empty anyway )
MY new Intel sees them but wont access anything on them.
My MediaCentre in the living room does seem to access the Netgears most of the time.
I have just been lying in bed with a Windows tablet and that failed to see anything on its network other than itself. ( This is how most of the others seem to act too )

There does not seem to be any difference between whether I use Windows 10, 8 or 7

Another annoying thing that is now happening and that is that I cannot log on to the Netgear NAS as they say that my password is wrong, and I have not setu pa backup so it wont do anything there to help me either, but I still have full access to teh files from my MASTER PC.

To be honest, Im completely done in with this.

I have now completely removed all the powerline plugs, and I have fully reset and reinstalled my entire network completely from scratch and it has made absolutely zero difference.

I even only had the router, and both my main AMD and main INTEL ONLY, and they saw each other and I shared a drive each so they were talking just fine, I then started to add bits to it and it all seemed to work for about 20 minutes then they started to forget each other and now its back to the same as it was.

I have also compeltely disabled the WIFI and I am ONLY using Ethernet.

Soldato
OP
Well, my Linux Machines and the Macs have ZERO issues seeing all the NAS boxes and the other PCs.
I threw Windows 7 onto two machines and they are fine too!

Its all purely Windows 10 machines that have this issue.

I have therefore dropped Windows 10 off my new build, and gone with SuSE Linux and its accessing everything just fine.

If I cannot get this sorted out before the end of the month, then Im done with Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom