Networked Steam Library - Anyone done it?

Soldato
Hi all,

i got multiple Gaming PC in my home. i'm highly considering Making everything Remote. has anyone done this?

Idea is:
  • Network installation of all games
  • Network Sync Documents folders for Remote Saves

Now i know 1GB links are not fast enough for SSD speeds
Currently my list is:

8 Bay synology (or BTO PC)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/syno...8-bay-network-attached-storage-hd-0a5-sy.html

2-8x 1TB SSD's
possibly Samsung Evos/Pros

1x 10GB NiC ( Main PC directly connected to NAS)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-xg-c100c-10gbase-t-pcie-network-adapter-nw-10j-as.html

So in theory
Regular pcs up to 125MB/S
Main Gaming PC up to 1250MB/s

of course latency will drop from using SATA, but benefits should be
no more reinstalling games
Huge storaged
Sync Saved

any done this or thought of this?

Soldato
I wouldn't assume that you can install and run games from network drives.

They may appear the same as local files in Windows Explorer, but under the hood things are different.

Definitely test some games using a network drive setup before you spend any money!

Soldato
Yes.

Doing it and it works.

See here:

Steam - Sharing install folder across SSD/1GbE home LAN
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...all-folder-across-ssd-1gbe-home-lan.18759670/

For some reason, people think it is a dark art and people who have never tried it say "Why bother" or "Performance will be ****". It works, plain and simple and from a management aspect, makes managing multiple PC's much easier.

A few caveats.

You can use Symbolic links if needed, but in this instance, mapping a folder to a drive letter did the job. If mapping a folder to a drive letter, the install folder you are wanting to share cannot be the root folder.

If a single user, all fine. Multiple users can use the same share, HOWEVER, if the game keeps its config files in the game install folder, this obviously causes problems for multiple users. If you have the space, I would allocate each Steam user their own network space but depending on your own needs, this may defeat the purpose of the exercise.

Load times/speeds etc are better than people think. Latency can sometimes be impacted for internet multiplayer games.

I would strongly suggest the client has a good NIC but not essential.

I had two players sharing a Arma 3 library, worked absolutely FINE :D

I would say that if you have the money and want a project, WHY NOT.. However, you could accomplish the same for much less money with a much more basic setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got my steam games running off my Y:\ network drive. It does allow you to add another stream folder. Obviously the games won't appear if the drive isnt connected or mapped

Soldato
OP
Yes.

Doing it and it works.

See here:

Steam - Sharing install folder across SSD/1GbE home LAN
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...all-folder-across-ssd-1gbe-home-lan.18759670/

For some reason, people think it is a dark art and people who have never tried it say "Why bother" or "Performance will be ****". It works, plain and simple and from a management aspect, makes managing multiple PC's much easier.

A few caveats.

You can use Symbolic links if needed, but in this instance, mapping a folder to a drive letter did the job. If mapping a folder to a drive letter, the install folder you are wanting to share cannot be the root folder.

If a single user, all fine. Multiple users can use the same share, HOWEVER, if the game keeps its config files in the game install folder, this obviously causes problems for multiple users. If you have the space, I would allocate each Steam user their own network space but depending on your own needs, this may defeat the purpose of the exercise.

Load times/speeds etc are better than people think. Latency can sometimes be impacted for internet multiplayer games.

I would strongly suggest the client has a good NIC but not essential.

I had two players sharing a Arma 3 library, worked absolutely FINE :D

I would say that if you have the money and want a project, WHY NOT.. However, you could accomplish the same for much less money with a much more basic setup.

all clients will have Intel Server Nics or ASUS 10GB connection

the plan is for Couch Gaming / Desk to share the library.

Back
Top Bottom